Subject: How much longer will our favorite LCG be in print? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Miller
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How much longer will our favorite LCG be in print?

With the coming of the final Saga expansion and the advent of a new cooperative LCG (Arkham Horror) does anyone see The End?

Is it just me or is the reprint cycle already trickling off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's dead as of tomorrow. RIP LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
It's dead as of tomorrow yesterday. RIP LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
RobbMiller wrote:

With the coming of the final Saga expansion and the advent of a new cooperative LCG (Arkham Horror) does anyone see The End?

Is it just me or is the reprint cycle already trickling off?

Thank goodness we got another one of theses threads. It's been well over 2 months since one was posted. I was beginning to think no one was left to care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, same, I am relieved that discussion about the game dying isn't dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understand why everyone assumes the game is dying. There has been no evidence that the game is dying. I would assume that at some point reprints would slow down, as the audience for the game is finite and at some point it will have to hit the upper limit. The fact that the core set and the first 1-2 cycles are still getting reprinted mor Ethan once a year is a sign that this game may still have some legs left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it already died a couple of years ago.

In all seriousness though, availability of reprints is always spotty and cyclical. I think we have 1 more year minimum, but if I were a betting man I would say 2-4 more years. As long as people keep buying the product (which they currently are, this is one of the best selling LCGs), they will keep making it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
I'm pretty sure it already died a couple of years ago.

In all seriousness though, availability of reprints is always spotty and cyclical. I think we have 1 more year minimum, but if I were a betting man I would say 2-4 more years. As long as people keep buying the product (which they currently are, this is one of the best selling LCGs), they will keep making it.

Um, can I take that bet now? I'm happy to cash in at the 4 year mark. I don't see this going anywhere. The churning out of nightmare decks is a sign that they are still coming up with continent to meet popular demand.

If the imperial assault app and mansions of madness apps are popular hopefully they start making apps for this as well.

Now what I'd really to see is FFG come up with an awesome anniversary storage solution at some point to store all th content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobbMiller wrote:

It's already been canned. But, hey, at least we'll still have new LOTR releases to look forward to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo games never die.

You can always start playing because you don't depend on other players.

Enough cards and expansions have been printed already so you can play it for the rest of your lives and then add some ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Miller
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:

Didn't know I was opening a can of worms... so sorry.

I honestly wanted to know what others thought. I know that FFG has pulled the plug on some games in the past, rebooted others, etc; all without much warning.

Just wondering if anyone see the signs that this may be happening with this game. I'm not done playing the content I already own but I'd like to acquire a couple more cycles before it is axed.

If sales are strong it probably still has legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobbMiller wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

I honestly wanted to know what others thought. I know that FFG has pulled the plug on some games in the past, rebooted others, etc; all without much warning.

Just wondering if anyone see the signs that this may be happening with this game. I'm not done playing the content I already own but I'd like to acquire a couple more cycles before it is axed.

The can of worms is based on the multiple threads here asking the same question. Every two weeks we seem to get it even though there are no signs of it going anywhere.

It seemed that demand had FFG make the Saga expansions and now some think with the last one coming that it will end this LCG. This despite the new cycle and constant reprints.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch the Upcoming section on FFG's site for reprints. You'll notice LotR being a frequent flyer (well, boat passenger).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once it dies, then a Luthien will journey to Valinor and petition the Valar to return it to life. So, really, stop worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:

"Is game dying, dying?" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LotR LCG is another cash cow for FFG. I suspect that unless they somehow manage to lose the license, there will never not be an LotR LCG. Could they reboot it? Sure, I could see a 2nd edition with some rule changes to bring the style of gameplay closer to the books and improved from some lessons learned. But I wouldn't expect that for another three years at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
msg tools
mbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
Watch the Upcoming section on FFG's site for reprints. You'll notice LotR being a frequent flyer (well, boat passenger).
My concern is the size of the LotR:LCG catalog. We're talking a core, 6 deluxe expansions, 7 saga expansions, 7 cycles (or 42 individual packs), 7 print on demand scenarios, and 39 nightmare decks. We're talking, literally, multiple thousands of cards that must remain in print - and they are still adding more.

Whether the game is dying or not, eventually, FFG will have to retire some part of the game and take it out of circulation. The game is just too large to see continual reprints of every product in the catalog. Maybe they will move it to print on demand, or maybe they'll collect an entire cycle's cards into a single package (fat chance, LCG fans have been begging for this since time immemorial), but it's not an absurd worry that parts of the game will go out of print sooner or later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have died years ago if they would just stop reprinting it!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Sqorgar wrote:
Whether the game is dying or not, eventually, FFG will have to retire some part of the game and take it out of circulation.

They have their own print on demand system for many of their packs already, which means they can print small runs if the demand is low. The standalone scenarios and nightmare decks are PoD already. I'm not so worried yet

(Then again, I have less than $600 worth of expansions left to get…)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobbMiller wrote:
supermaxv wrote:

The "short notice" pulls are often due to a license being lost, or such a low buy rate that it is costing them too much in "stock on hand" LotR LCG keeps going through reprints - the license doesn't seem to be an issue, and there is at least one person "Very high up" who doesn't want to see it endwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're definitely looking at a v2.0 at some point, so personally I'm not investing anymore in the game at the moment and will be investing in Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
Flamehearted wrote:
I think we're definitely looking at a v2.0 at some point, so personally I'm not investing anymore in the game at the moment and will be investing in Arkham.

I hope you realize your decision in 0% based on reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there's no pressure for a 2.0 in a co-op game like LOTR, there's no competitive tournament scene. And I think FFG would struggle to convince people to rebuy it for the same reason, your old game is going nowhere. Besides FGG gave AGOT players plenty of advanced notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobbMiller wrote:
[q="supermaxv"]

I can't put my finger on a case where FFG did that. The closest would be Tide of Iron, but even that had fair warning of a few months.

A Game of Thrones got a year's notice and competitive play overlapped the new release.

Call of Cthulhu phased out with the end of packs going to big box releases for IIRC almost a year before being put to bed.

All the Warhammer stuff had PLENTY of speculation and then a formal announcement followed by the close out of the last cycle. That one was more abrupt. But totally outside of FFGs control to be fair.

So, I'm not sure to which game(s) you're referring, but I cannot think of any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 1.0 might fit the bill. I was thinking of getting into right as they announced the 2nd edition. Fans of the game seemed shocked and they still were listing out of stock expansions as being at the printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.