Pandemic: On the Brink» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mutation outbreak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
teddy pax
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
My husband and I just got OTB this weekend for Thanksgiving break. I'm sure its a super stupid question but we are struggling with the outbreak rules. (1)If there are 3 purple cubes on a red, and your draw that red infect card, do you outbreak with purple, red, or both? (2) Also just to make sure I am understanding things correctly, if there is a red and an purple, the outbreak would be first with one then the other? Thanks gang!

-Note: I have read and re-read the rules, so quoting them to me won't be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like always, each color of cube is dealt with separately. If there are three purple cubes on, say, Tokyo and you draw Tokyo, purple will outbreak. Whether or not red also outbreaks depends on if there were also three red cubes on Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple outbreaks, as you're attempting to add a 4th purple to the location.
Red might outbreak, but you didn't indicate how many red cubes were on that city so I'm assuming it was 0 so the answer is no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
teddypax wrote:
If there are 3 purple cubes [and no red cubes] on a red [city], and you draw that red infect card, do you outbreak with purple, red, or both?

Just purple.

Let's start with the Infection question, what cubes are you trying to place? Then, let's deal with any Outbreaks.

A red city, say, Hong Kong, has 3 purple cubes and 0 red cubes. During Infections, you draw the Hong Kong infection card. You attempt to place both a purple cube (because there is at least one purple cube in Hong Kong) and a red cube (because Hong Kong is a red city and the red disease has not been eradicated).

The red cube is placed, since there are 0 red cubes in Hong Kong. But, the purple cube is not placed because it would be the 4th purple cube in Hong Kong. Instead, you have a purple Outbreak in Hong Kong, increasing the Outbreaks counter by one and then adding a purple cube to each adjacent city (and resolving any purple chain reaction outbreaks that occur).

Note the number of red cubes present has nothing to do with whether the purple cubes outbreak. You resolve each color *separately*.

Quote:
if there is a red and an purple outbreak [because there are 3 purple cubes and 3 red cubes in that city], the outbreak would be first with one then the other?

Correct. Two completely separate outbreaks, resolved in either order (since it doesn't matter what order you do them since one doesn't affect the other).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
teddy pax
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N O
msg tools
I just realized I've been playing this game wrong for years! I finally got around to reading the bio-terrorist section to give it a try, and had confusion on how the outbreak works based on the example given. But now after reading this, and re-checking the rules, I see I missed a fundamental rule.
Cities can hold up to 3 disease cubes of EACH colour. Been making it hard on myself and limiting a city to 3 cubes in total. Baaahhh!

Thanks for the explanation. It's a whole new game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.