$35.00
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
Generally I dislike games where you must grind over and over, and I also dislike rogue-likes where permadeath is an expected thing. This game reminds me a bit of Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, neither of which I ever really got into. I'm trying to decide if I'm missing something here because this game is obviously very popular but although I'm currently a backer I'm not certain if this game is for me.

Board game-wise I also dislike games that require a lot of pen and paper bookkeeping. I prefer games that are elegant in design and not fiddly. I may be mistaken but from gameplay videos this game feels a bit fiddly, am I correct or wrong in that assumption?

Are there any video game equivalents to this that I could try out and see if this gameplay style might be fun for me?

Lastly, I'm pretty sure the theme is off-putting to any of the people I game with, so it's very likely this would be a solo affair for me. How good is this solo? If I'm playing solo, why would I play this over say, Dark Souls or Monster Hunter video games?

I appreciate the community's help to answer these questions for me, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I love KD, don't like Darksouls. KD is very similar to PC RPG games, you're definitely leveling up your settlement more than your survivors, and permadeath is there.

Here's a brief overview of how it works:
At the start of your campaign, your survivors stats are basically 0, they manage to improve the settlement with crude huts and beds. Now, all future babies are born with stronger stats. As the 2nd generation grows stronger, hunts and dies, they improve the settlement further and their children are born even stronger etc.

Permadeath is there and it sucks at times, but it adds drama and excitement. Furthermore, it's not like traditional RPGs where you focus on leveling up characters, it's leveling up your settlement which matters, even more so with the 1.5 update mechanics.

Watch the gameplay videos to find out if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
foxstar74 wrote:
Generally I dislike games where you must grind over and over, and I also dislike rogue-likes where permadeath is an expected thing. This game reminds me a bit of Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, neither of which I ever really got into. I'm trying to decide if I'm missing something here because this game is obviously very popular but although I'm currently a backer I'm not certain if this game is for me.

Board game-wise I also dislike games that require a lot of pen and paper bookkeeping. I prefer games that are elegant in design and not fiddly. I may be mistaken but from gameplay videos this game feels a bit fiddly, am I correct or wrong in that assumption?

Are there any video game equivalents to this that I could try out and see if this gameplay style might be fun for me?

Lastly, I'm pretty sure the theme is off-putting to any of the people I game with, so it's very likely this would be a solo affair for me. How good is this solo? If I'm playing solo, why would I play this over say, Dark Souls or Monster Hunter video games?

I often say to people:
"This is very much like Monster Hunter, but with more theme and generally much better"

The game is very fiddly and has lots of bookkeeping.

Yet, I completely adore this game.
Even though I am a euro gamer, this is my favorite game.

Nevertheless, I think this game has too much you don't like... I would at least find someone in your area to play before paying hundreds of dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
hwknight wrote:
I love KD, don't like Darksouls. KD is very similar to PC RPG games, you're definitely leveling up your settlement more than your survivors, and permadeath is there.

Here's a brief overview of how it works:
At the start of your campaign, your survivors stats are basically 0, they manage to improve the settlement with crude huts and beds. Now, all future babies are born with stronger stats. As the 2nd generation grows stronger, hunts and dies, they improve the settlement further and their children are born even stronger etc.

Permadeath is there and it sucks at times, but it adds drama and excitement. Furthermore, it's not like traditional RPGs where you focus on leveling up characters, it's leveling up your settlement which matters, even more so with the 1.5 update mechanics.

I only play this game solo. 400hrs and counting, every other game in my collection has pretty much been shelved. I use an iPad for bookkeeping and fiddliness, which there is a lot of. At this point, I move quicker through the fiddliness but it's always there. I've gotten used to it and some of the bookkeeping becomes more of an occasion than a burden, to me at least . This is NOT a small game. This is huge, HUGE bastard, in design, gameplay and content. How else would you get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of it?

Watch the gameplay videos to find out if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Henschel

Colorado Springs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxstar74 wrote:

You WILL do some grinding when you are trying to complete armor sets for bonuses or need certain rare ingredients that only drop from certain monsters.

Perma death DOES and WILL happen to MANY of your survivors.

There IS alot of book keeping because your survivors are constantly changing and your settlement can get quite large and has many moving parts.

This game WILL offend many people and is one of the BEST board games I've ever played. Even I don't like some of the dick monsters or vagina faces, but the bc of the game play I'm able to look past that or I could choose to simply not use those models.

There is definitely alot of characteristics here that you have identified you probably won't like and understandably you are hesitant. I have not played any other board game that brings what KDM does to the table. It is not just a board game, but a hobby. You take the materials included, and you create the survivors, the monsters, the settlements... You become attached to what you create and then you lose it...or do you? That's what makes this experience so great. In the end, if you buy in, and don't like it, guess what, you can just resell or trade it. The KDM brand is very high demand and low stock so it carries a premium value.

Good luck with your decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you can describe KD:M fairly good by saying it's Monster Hunter, with a Dark Souls/Bloodborne theme.

So yeah, you might not like it unfortunately.
You can watch some gameplay to check the game out. The play through videos from beasts of war on youtube are very good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your OP and description of likes and dislikes, I think you will not like KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Shuvaev
Russia
St.Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is: do you like UFO / X-com series gameplay? If yes, there still a chance you'll like KD:M. I personally find the overall game flow (settlement / geoscape phase - showdown / battlescape phase) of these two games very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.