Subject: KDM and TTS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love KDM, i own it and most of the expansions. I also own tts (tabletop simulator) and i have to admit i have played kdm on tts as well. KDM has been played regularly by people from all over the world on TTS. Those who missed out on the original kickstarter or who couldnt afford it at the time have been playing it on TTS.

This second kickstarter went live and KDM has gone from a niche game into a main stream behemoth. I mean i expected the kickstarter to hit close to 2 million but its actually doubled up on the original kickstarter.

So i was thinking were did all these new people come from? I reckon that a lot of the people who played KDM through TTS have now become backers of KDM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible, but there were several people asking about the game for some time.
The fact that it was very expensive and then it was out of stock made them go to ebay and the prices there were too high.
The first 1500 that pledged only for the game got it at half price with revised rules and a few modified cards but also with five years more for the campaign and a new final boss.
I think it's hard to let that pass if you have an interest on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
harry schulte
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
That's exactly how I got to this game. Saw it on tts, played it there, loved it and now I backed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
raphey wrote:
That's exactly how I got to this game. Saw it on tts, played it there, loved it and now I backed it!

I be you are not the only one, i think KDM was averaging about 5 games being played a night on tts which is quite alot since its been going on for a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Gabriel
msg tools
I first saw KDM at Gen Con, but knowing how expensive it was I used TTS to try it and see if it was my kind of game before buying it. I played about 8 lantern years solo, and that convinced me to buy in on the KS.

Now that I've paid (and for every expansion, no less) I'm comfortable with hosting games for my internet buddies while I wait for my physical copy to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario T
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheGPrime wrote:
I first saw KDM at Gen Con, but knowing how expensive it was I used TTS to try it and see if it was my kind of game before buying it. I played about 8 lantern years solo, and that convinced me to buy in on the KS.

Now that I've paid (and for every expansion, no less) I'm comfortable with hosting games for my internet buddies while I wait for my physical copy to arrive.

Is it possible to join as an spectator on TTS? I recently got it since it's on sale so I have no idea of the features but I would like to learn the rules, actions, AI, everything I may need to start playing solo.

I guess I could also play but I can't commit for long periods of time (maybe 40 minutes every hour or so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I first heard about this game in the comments section of the Dark Souls Boardgame Kickstarter, of which I'm a backer. I was lucky enough to buy the KDM core game (plus stretch goals from KS1) from another backer of the DS game.

I received KDM back in March, 2016, and have shared the experience with a handful of friends. Not a single person had even heard of this game before, but they all really enjoyed playing it. Now, 6 of them are backing this new KS to get their own copies.

I'm betting that's where a lot of new backers are coming from. People who were introduced to this game by backers from the first KS.

Just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
Greasy Reese wrote:
I first heard about this game in the comments section of the Dark Souls Boardgame Kickstarter, of which I'm a backer. I was lucky enough to buy the KDM core game (plus stretch goals from KS1) from another backer of the DS game.

I received KDM back in March, 2016, and have shared the experience with a handful of friends. Not a single person had even heard of this game before, but they all really enjoyed playing it. Now, 6 of them are backing this new KS to get their own copies.

I'm betting that's where a lot of new backers are coming from. People who were introduced to this game by backers from the first KS.

Just a guess.

With a friend of mine, were discussing this. Seems like adam has hardly if anything, inversted on marketing. There arent any banner in BG sites, no banner on Kicktraq, and even his own twitter and Facebook hardly have any selfpromotion.

So how its gathering so momentum?? Our conclusion, a mix of 2 theories:
1) this is a niche product, that has been so deligthfull, and a milestone in BG in general, that backers have been promoting this game. This kinda is linked to a degree of excusiviness, its like owning a ferrari and letting your friends for a ride. Well now the ferrari is on discount, and while is no a cheap car range, its now, the base game the high expectrum of other KS (the baseline lately has been 100dolar base, with some extras, usually having an average of 200-250 per backer.) Some backers have reservations to commit a high pledge for the minimum level, and realising that the they will want expansion down the road. Anways, the market has been proven, there is a niche of game enthusiasts (be BG, or mini hobbyists) with disposable income for the current asked price.
Will every car owner would like to own a ferrari, if offered cheap (but same value)?? No, but hell if many do. This kinda lower the exclusivity aspect of KDM (or in my metaphor , ferrari), but replaces it with a community, or as other has been called it, a cult.

2) KS plataform. Big KS makes big splashes across our communities, there is a feeling of wanting to join for the big next thing since sliced bread. sure KS takes their cut, but for a successful kickstarter, this can be seen as an alternative to commit in advertisement. Breaking records, especially in speed of gaining "milestone" points, usually each Million, or quantity of backers; this generate excitement. Excitement generate buzz, even in competing KS, and this generate more backers and more money. Its like keep being famous, because you became famous kind of scenario. But to become famous in a first place, you have to usually worth it. (counterpoint: relying on a famous IP on its own, and hardly unproven game system engine, like Megaman and Dark souls)

So, in layman words, this KS is like offering a ferrari (or your perceived high value good of choice) for an "accessible" price, and not want to be left out, to be the sucker driving a modest Toyota Corrola, while many neighbors dive a ferrari.

Finaly, TTS has been like a virtual demo of playing, or "driving", and has been a satisfactory enough that many have committed to the real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KS has a trending and editors picks as well as suggestions. I've stumbled upon a few through the feature at the bottom. We also have reddit and it's been around the block on the boardgame subreddit. Then there's also kicktrack or however you spell it. As for TTS I think there's a decent following but I don't think it mentions how many subscribers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How does TTS work? Is there a way I could try KD on TTS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
nexbot wrote:

Yes, but its not approved by the creator, nor it gets any revenue from it. So its not encouraged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
panwuan wrote:
nexbot wrote:

Yes, but its not approved by the creator, nor it gets any revenue from it. So its not encouraged.

I understand. Ironically, letting me try it first may actually encourage me to buy it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panwuan Panwuan
msg tools
mbmb
You can search and get it if you so wish, its not too underground to be honest. But it wouldn't be on my conscience.

I would rather suggest to watch the multiple lets play playthroughs that explain the game thru.
I recommend this playthru, ironically it was recorded using TTS, as its easier to show the components, even it quality show is medium quality,as the cards and components are scanned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXTc1SHZ0uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
panwuan wrote:
nexbot wrote:

I understand. Ironically, letting me try it first may actually encourage me to buy it...

This is the general logic that most board game companies follow in terms of TTS. The people that play on tts are board gamers, if they like a game they tend to buy it and sales have been shown to increase from tts coverage.

Poots had no issues originally with it bieng on tts, but asked for it removed after kickstarter backers started complaining that other people were playing the game as well without possibly having purchased it.

Poots idd mention that he planned to have a digitised version of KDM released at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rodriguez
Costa Rica
San Jose
flag msg tools
mb
I discovered this KDM game by TTS like 1 year and few days ago I started my first campaign and yesterday I finished it(Game Over of course). I am thinking to purchase awesome game with the latest coming v1.5 if I can find at least 3 players to do a campaign in the future.

I recently updated my KDM module in the TTS workshop... It's different modules from other people in the workshop. I even uploaded several of images and wrote a good description to explain the customization I had done in this module.

Here is the link if anyone is interested :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732819...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I first heard about this game over at the Dark Souls the board game section here on BGG.

Some folks were hyped for the upcoming kickstarter (at the time) for KD1.5 and so I asked what Kingdom Death was. I did a bit of research, watched the Beasts of War play through and liked what I saw, so I decided to back the game and gamblers chest.

Then at some point excitement overtook reason and I got pledges for some expansions (namely the abyssal woods)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Ryn
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
nexbot wrote:

I really don't understand this mentality. It's not like a dexterity game (jenga) or a video game were a certain amount feel just can't be acquired from a video review. There's lots of reviews, let's plays, walk-throughs, and tutorials that if you cant decide if you want the game, TTS isn't going to convince you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakuall wrote:
nexbot wrote:

I really don't understand this mentality. It's not like a dexterity game (jenga) or a video game were a certain amount feel just can't be acquired from a video review. There's lots of reviews, let's plays, walk-throughs, and tutorials that if you cant decide if you want the game, TTS isn't going to convince you.

I DON'T defend piracy, but it's rather hard to spend 400 bucks + shipping in a luxury game that you don't like to play.

Trying a game is too different from seeing the game being played. Also, there's the spoiler issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.