Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a party tonight because one of my friends was in town from New York. I got together our group of friends, plus some new additions that we had met since he had left. One of the friends was my former college roommate who had really become an acquaintance over time, but was still on friendly terms with me and also was friends with the visitor from New York.

So fast forward into the night and we decided to play Unusual Suspects, because I just got it last week and I have been loving it. There were 14 of us playing, and we were treating it more as an activity than a game.

About three rounds into the game, my former roommate abrubtly started to leave. I asked him if everything was alright, and he thanked me for having him over, said that he had been having fun, but that he really did not like this game and wanted to leave.

I knew from the second that I heard about this game that it wouldn't be for everyone, but I definitely wasn't expecting the reaction that it got from him. Truthfully, the way that he left made me question whether he would ever associate with me again.

So while I know that this game obviously appears as something that you have to be cautious who you bring it out around, from actually experience now I am confirming: be careful who you play this with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very surprised by this story to be honest. From first hearing about this game I saw this potential type of situation ... the reviews I've seen hint at this type of situation as well ... I'll probably never buy this game because of this type of situation.

I think part of the problem is that the game appears innocent but can bring out surprising prejudices. At least "games" like Cards Against Humanity do not attempt to disguise themselves as innocent so from the get-to all players buy into the awful nature of the game ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is definitely not for the PC crowd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Macs only!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please congratulate your friend for me. That was a brave decision. And apologize to him. It's the least you can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civil wrote:
Please congratulate your friend for me. That was a brave decision. And apologize to him. It's the least you can do.

Technically the least I can do is just go on living my life and doing absolutely nothing about it, which I was already planning on doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alkaline2k2 wrote:
civil wrote:

Technically the least I can do is just go on living my life and doing absolutely nothing about it, which I was already planning on doing.

You are an inspiration to us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertie McBertface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Right, so.

I've just played this game unexpectedly with a couple of friends. Now:

bigGameGeek wrote:
This game is definitely not for the PC crowd

I don't agree with this. The overwhelming majority of the question cards are completely innocuous. If people are springboarding off that into the territory of prejudices, that's all on them. The game neither requires nor implies people go down that route. Any players who catch themselves going down unsightly routes has every opportunity to self-regulate.

Someone mentioned Cards Against Humanity in passing. On my way home I've been trying to think how I'd articulate my (perceived difference). Unusual Suspects intentionally brings snap judgements to the fore and lampoons them: it demands you justify your first impressions to the group. Cards Against Humanity enables people to play the most peurile weapon in their arsenal, giving them the chicken fallback of an "it's the card not me" excuse, gets a big rousing laugh as the leader picks through the selection, and award points to whomsoever best played their audience.

To me, really quite different applications of social collusion. Our game this evening ended up generating backstories to the characters: one was a father of two who tried to hard to be cool but also had a secret kid on the side (no reason); one woman has family in Eastern Europe whose distance motivated her to learn technology. One was a werewolf because he also liked camping. If I still had it, I might have used some of it for NPC creation.

So really, I can't speak for OP's friend, but perhaps there were other reasons at play why he didn't enjoy the game: the presumption it was due to some sensitivity on his part isn't necessarily the only reason. For instance, as much as I enjoyed it today, no way in hell would I like playing it with 14 others. That wouldn't be fun. Too many cooks and all that: I find big team games end up with one or two people (usually one) dominating discussion and others falling into passivity.

This bit though:

alkaline2k2 wrote:
I knew from the second that I heard about this game that it wouldn't be for everyone, but I definitely wasn't expecting the reaction that it got from him. Truthfully, the way that he left made me question whether he would ever associate with me again.

The first bit I get. Always true. But the second bit- what the heck were y'all doing that would be such a deterrent toward further association?

civil wrote:

tl;dr this. It takes guts to speak out. But since how we played it was much like people-watching in a restaurant, my hunch would be the underlying issue was something beyond the game. Not every social derailing falls at the feet of the snowflakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.