Popular Tags: [View All]
Pol Personn
Switzerland
dfgdh0
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
The V3 rules seems to allow 2 free entraining for the Russian player per turn.
One with the normal entraining rule and another one with the soviet strategic reserve rule.

Is this correct ?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the use of the Strategic Reserve counter is free, you don't need to pay with a Card Discard.

It represents the advantage the Soviet had in using their internal lines partisan-free rail network, and the extra transport capabilities offered by the lend-lease provided American trucks and Rail Rolling stock, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Personn
Switzerland
dfgdh0
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see.
Thank you for your answer (and for this great game)
I used to play TGPW "The great patriotic war" years ago, and really enjoyed it. Now, I'm back in the Russian front with "No Retreat". I missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Ste-Thérèse
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
toundrah wrote:
I see.
Thank you for your answer (and for this great game)
I used to play TGPW "The great patriotic war" years ago, and really enjoyed it. Now, I'm back in the Russian front with "No Retreat". I missed it.

I never found TGPW to work well with its original rules, but with a modified sequence of play it is a lot of fun.

Thnaks for playing my little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
msg tools
I note the rules (14.12) say a unit under the Strategic Reserve counter can detrain in either Axis or Russian detrain phase, but the counter itself says it can detrain & move in the Soviet movement phase.

Also, rule 9.1 says normal entraining is in lieu of other movement, while 14.12 says the strategic reserve counter is used at the end of the movement phase. 14.12 states that any supplied Soviet unit may be entrained via this marker.

So, just to confirm, this counter has all of these advantages?

1) Free entrain of on-map unit using this counter w/o card discard.
2) Marker allows entrainment at end of movement phase even if unit has moved in that movement phase. (though this seems a useless combination)
3) Detrain in either player's detrain phase.
4) Detrain & move in Soviet movement phase.

It's curious since the effect on the back of the counter isn't mentioned in the rules.

It seems either the strategic reserve marker is quite flexible or something is incorrect (perhaps the back of the marker)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes
2) yes
3) yes
4) yes, if it detrains in the Axis detrain phase.

The strategic marker is not the same as entraining, it just puts the strategic reserve unit in the rail box.

One other thing: the unit that goes into the box with the rail box with the marker need not be the same one that comes out:

Quote:
(it can be moved between units in that box from turn to turn)

I doubt there was room on the back of the counter for the whole of 14.12
(who reads the back of counters anyway?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
msg tools
I read the backs of counters, and in this case what is on the back of the counter (detraining & moving in Soviet movement phase) is not mentioned at all in the 14.12 rules, which speaks only about end-of-movement entrainment, & choice of detraining in either player's detrain phase.

It's as if the back of the counter is referring to an earlier rules set, not the 3rd edition rules

edit: Ah, I see the clarification you added to point 4 (unit under marker can move in Soviet movement phase if it detrains in Axis movement phase) and also see the comma on the back of the counter. But still, if interpreted as allowing movement in Soviet movement phase even after German detrain phase detraining, but at that point why wouldn't the unit under the market simply be able to move normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.