$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Why hasn't this taken off? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Just curious I have not been following it at all. I am surprised that Monolith is doing better with their project given the shoddy product that is Conan, meanwhile SOB is very highly regarded as one of if not the best in its genre. Looking at the pledges looks like a good value as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's about to. They just added the ability to add an ogsob minecart for 675.
Well... 975 but it includes a Shogun and minecart pledge.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not see that coming, resurrecting the Mine Cart. That just caused a huge surge in the total.

Well played Flying Frog, well played.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not personally that interested in playing Mythic Battles: Pantheon. However, the pledge does certainly have value for $100. For that reason I could pledge it. But whether I think the game gets table time, I doubt it. I don't have to buy all miniatures games that reach 1 million. I don't have room for everything.

I do think Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress would get played, though. I have read good comments about it and really like the theme this time. The downside is it's a hobby game. I would rather take a lot of Conan/(or rather CMON) quality miniatures to get a lot of variety than a few HIPS miniatures that requires assembling. I am not willing to "buy" all stretchgoals. I want stretchgoals to be stretchgoals and add-ons, well add-ons. I don't see enough value in Shogun yet because I don't appreciate HIPS enough. And if I don't see value, I may not give the game system a chance (I can just choose to play other dungeon crawler like Darklight: Memento Mori when released which is also "based on" Warhammer Quest mechanics). Things should change if reaching 1 million, but at this point I doubt it (new pledge levels might help). I do see value in Sumo pledge, but downgrading to it would leave a bad taste due to losing early bird benefit ($5 is at least something towards shipping in a country where shipping cost is probably $40-$50; most would complain high shipping cost like this). Now I'm trying to think what's the best plan to spent $350. In KS and retail, my plan could be:

$150 (max) core + some stretchgoals
$80-$90 one deluxe expansion (from retail or as an $70 add-on)
$50-$60 town expansion (when released)
------------------------
$280-$300
Would give some nice gameplay variety. Do I need everything? I think core, deluxe and town would give enough playing contents for me.

$300 shogun: $100 Core + $80 Temple + $80 Forest = $260. Personally currently valuing Phoenix ($20) and Jorogumo ($20) = $40. This would bring value to $300. Then I need $50 worth of content to cover shipping (maybe the dragon could have $40 value for me) and the rest I count to be true stretchgoals.

So if a lot of people feel a little hesitant like me what $300 pledge gives, that's one reason why campaign may not have been taken off. Another reason may be that Forbidden Fortress doesn't apparently bring anything new to the table like campaign play. There is still time, though and new pledge level deals help.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
Just curious I have not been following it at all. I am surprised that Monolith is doing better with their project given the shoddy product that is Conan, meanwhile SOB is very highly regarded as one of if not the best in its genre. Looking at the pledges looks like a good value as well.

The numbers on this campaign are very high. You don't need to beat the best Kickstarters ever to be a success. I think it's doing well.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Schaaf
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
At the moment it is defiantly doing well. The last update brought some backers back and a lot of funds. Two more SG have already been unlocked and only 20K more for the Otherworld expansion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:

$300 shogun: $100 Core + $80 Temple + $80 Forest = $260. Personally currently valuing Phoenix ($20) and Jorogumo ($20) = $40. This would bring value to $300. Then I need $50 worth of content to cover shipping (maybe the dragon could have $40 value for me) and the rest I count to be true stretchgoals.

So if a lot of people feel a little hesitant like me what $300 pledge gives, that's one reason why campaign may not have been taken off. Another reason may be that Forbidden Fortress doesn't apparently bring anything new to the table like campaign play. There is still time, though and new pledge level deals help.


Did you see this thread? Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter Valuation Spreadsheet

You're missing a lot in your calculation.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This:

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
batanen wrote:

$300 shogun: $100 Core + $80 Temple + $80 Forest = $260. Personally currently valuing Phoenix ($20) and Jorogumo ($20) = $40. This would bring value to $300. Then I need $50 worth of content to cover shipping (maybe the dragon could have $40 value for me) and the rest I count to be true stretchgoals.

So if a lot of people feel a little hesitant like me what $300 pledge gives, that's one reason why campaign may not have been taken off. Another reason may be that Forbidden Fortress doesn't apparently bring anything new to the table like campaign play. There is still time, though and new pledge level deals help.


Did you see this thread? Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter Valuation Spreadsheet

You're missing a lot in your calculation.

Yes, but I like to do my own calculation what I especially value (as I referred I don't put value into material choice HIPS that much). Anyway at the moment I feel things are going to right track. The risk however is we need to fill Forest box through stretchgoals, but hopefully we get news soon. I look forward to Dragon and potential Town expansion - that I really want.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
batanen wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:
batanen wrote:

$300 shogun: $100 Core + $80 Temple + $80 Forest = $260. Personally currently valuing Phoenix ($20) and Jorogumo ($20) = $40. This would bring value to $300. Then I need $50 worth of content to cover shipping (maybe the dragon could have $40 value for me) and the rest I count to be true stretchgoals.

So if a lot of people feel a little hesitant like me what $300 pledge gives, that's one reason why campaign may not have been taken off. Another reason may be that Forbidden Fortress doesn't apparently bring anything new to the table like campaign play. There is still time, though and new pledge level deals help.


Did you see this thread? Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter Valuation Spreadsheet

You're missing a lot in your calculation.

Yes, but I like to do my own calculation what I especially value (as I referred I don't put value into material choice HIPS that much). Anyway at the moment I feel things are going to right track. The risk however is we need to fill Forest box through stretchgoals, but hopefully we get news soon. I look forward to Dragon and potential Town expansion - that I really want.


They've shown the next set of stretch goals heading up to 900K. None of them are models for the Forest. They said that the Forest is a full Deluxe OW, with all the models. Waiting for an update to detail the Forest, but since they said it will be a full retail box, I'm not sure if we'll see any "filler" models in the stretch goals now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlocked $850k - more than $116k already today. Think the slump is over.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
Just curious I have not been following it at all. I am surprised that Monolith is doing better with their project given the shoddy product that is Conan, meanwhile SOB is very highly regarded as one of if not the best in its genre. Looking at the pledges looks like a good value as well.


Sorry,
but Conan is pretty solid product. It has flaws, but I believe it was generally received well.

SoB also has many flaws (but I love it, if hesitantly).

I personally dislike KDM, but I somehow understand why people jump for it.
I feel there is mostly no need to trash other games to show your appreciation for others.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
okocnar wrote:
[q="Guillyberto"]Just curious I have not been following it at all. I am surprised that Monolith is doing better with their project given the shoddy product that is Conan, meanwhile SOB is very highly regarded as one of if not the best in its genre. Looking at the pledges looks like a good value as well.


SoB if shoddier than Conan so I'm not sure what you are talking about
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Ghool's post on this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1669953/really-another-kick...

I'd add a few other reasons, but they've already been brought up on other threads.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They raised $149k yesterday and the campaign is nearly at $900k.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
It had a 24-hour unlimited early-bird, and is a product mainly aimed at existing SoB fans. So it made a lot of money but a very high amount on day one.
I'm not sure it's done worse than expected, it's just had a different pattern.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
It is a product mainly aimed at existing SoB fans.



Well, I do not think so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean.. it's made almost 900k. And is basically assured to make 1 million before the ks is done.

At what funding level do we call a ks a success?

Clearly. We don't consider "funded" a success in the gaming community, It did that in a few minutes.

Is half a million the benchmark? A million? 3 million? Does it need to break ks funding records?
Is it only a success if it raises hundreds of thousands the first day and then tens of thousands per day for the rest of the campaign?

I'm really curious what folks view as the benchmark of success.
Because I've backed games that just barely funded, and called them successful. I would've considered those same kickstarters blow out successes if they made 600k.
But people seem to have considered 600k a failure for this one...

It's weird.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
I'm really curious what folks view as the benchmark of success.
I consider a project that funds and delivers and that I would back again if I had to do it all over. So far I guesstimate that I am batting about 75-85%.

I backed SoB:FF based on my experience with the first one (I was one of those Mine Cart people). Yes it took a long time and there were some hiccups with the rules but I enjoy the game, enough to buy another version.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Cooperton wrote:
I'm really curious what folks view as the benchmark of success.
I consider a project that funds and delivers and that I would back again if I had to do it all over. So far I guesstimate that I am batting about 75-85%.

I backed SoB:FF based on my experience with the first one (I was one of those Mine Cart people). Yes it took a long time and there were some hiccups with the rules but I enjoy the game, enough to buy another version.


Seems like a reasonable benchmark.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
I'm really curious what folks view as the benchmark of success.


High funding during the first two days.
Steady funding during the mid-campaign.
High funding during the last two days.

That's what *I* would consider successful *funding*, but a successful KS doesn't mean anything to backers who are already satisfied with the project. Also, how well a creator fulfills a KS project, imo, doesn't have anything to do with how much money the project raises. I've seen projects raise little money and fail to deliver product, I've seen projects raise a huge amount of money and run out of money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
What did the first one get?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First KS ended at $1.3m and was at 903k through the first 28 days, so we are basically the same funding as the first through the first 28 days. Big difference though is the first one was 34 days long and this one is only 31.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we have a new benchmark. If you don't make at least 5 million dollars on your board game Kickstarter, you are a complete failure!

Kickstarter is so weird, feels like both a carnival and political campaign all wrapped up together. Just following the SoB-FF campaign comments, it was all doom and gloom for almost the entire period, until yesterday when FFP came up with the Black & Gold levels (brilliant move btw). Now it's mostly all cheers and excitement. Though the sumo pledge guys are no complaining they aren't getting anything. Even though the are getting a lot of stuff for $100 which will cost them much more later. Wacky!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
jurney85 wrote:
First KS ended at $1.3m and was at 903k through the first 28 days, so we are basically the same funding as the first through the first 28 days. Big difference though is the first one was 34 days long and this one is only 31.


If it ends up the same as the last one then it will have clearly under performed, no matter how the fans try and spin it.
The fact they revealed the $1M strech goal from day one shows FFP were clearly thinking they were going to do better as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.