Subject: Gotta Catchem All! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rivera
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
Just curious how many people out there not only enjoy the game, but enjoy the collection aspect and have attempted (or succeeded) at obtaining all known character for the King of series?

By my estimation the entire set consists of

Gigazaur, King, Meka Dragon, Alienoid, Cyber Bunny, Kraken

Pandakai

Pumpkin Jack, Boogie Woogie

Space Penguin, Brockenbar, Pouic

Sheriff, Kong, Mantis, Captain Fish, Rob, Draconus

Gigazaur2, King2, Meca Dragon, Alienoid2, Cyber Kitty, Space Penguin2

Baby Gigazaur, Mega Shark, Draccus, Alpha Zombie, Iron Rook, Rozy Pony, Kookie

and

Cthulu (coming soon)

I've managed to get my hands on 30 of the 31, with only Pouic having the ability to elude me. I've made up for this with an overgrown Blanka from Street Fighter that substitutes in quite nicely.

Is collecting for you part of the games appeal, or do you care more about the mechanics and gameplay and less about the characters themselves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sojasonk wrote:
Is collecting for you part of the games appeal, or do you care more about the mechanics and gameplay and less about the characters themselves?

I lean towards collecting. I also love "pimping" my games with premium bits and pieces. But, it gets expensive. So, I think carefully about which games I am going to try and pursue. KoT is not a game I am collecting. I bought the 1st ed base game, and both boxed 1st ed expansions. I am happy with that - lots and lots of variety. In retrospect, I would not purchase the Hallowe'en expansion again. Boogie Woohie is good, but we are not enamoured of the costumes and never play them, so the cost for "just" Boogie Woogie is more than I would pay again.

The one thing I would *really* like to do for KoT from the collector's/upgrade perspective is to replace the cardboard standees with a miniature. I'd also like a StayPuft custom monster, and would collect (buy) that in a heartbeat today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked collecting until I realized tha they didn't put out the Power Up expansion for half the characters. I ended up selling off all the old promos that I had (half of them got reprinted anyway).

I would argue that I'm somewhat of a collector, but I prefer that mine are actually useful as well. Since we always play the game with Power Up, any monster that didn't have access to it and still won't when the new one comes out, is basically useless to me.

I'm also against paying stupid mounts for hard to get things. Not so much in this game as in others (looking at you Arcadia Quest). I think Kickstarter Exclusive stuff is the bane of board gaming and needs to be stopped since all it does is promote scalping and crazy high aftermarket prices. Make them exclusive for the first year or so, then release them as a special pack or something. It is insane that a small box of figures needed for a collection for a board game should be going for $300+ when the entire game that included them in the first place only sells for $60. That kind of stuff ruins games for people who come into them late. Some of this applies to King of Tokyo, but to a lesser extent. I've seen how crazy the prices can get for a couple of the promos that were around for this game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have both main games and all mini expansions that hit retail. That's plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
In my case is similar as stated above. On one hand the PowerUp expansion does not include many of the characters therefore why even bother getting them all (btw I am not a fan of the drafting alternative for the powers)

At the same time, in KoT particularly I don't have the need to catch them all... in fact... I don't tend to like all of the characters that are out to be honest.

I like the classics because the are the closest thing to huge monsters, even though cartoony they look serious and work great with the theme...

*The King
*Gigazaur
*Cyberbunny/Cyberkitty (even though I like the 1st one better it makes no difference
*Alienoid
*Kraken/Cthulu
*MekaDragon

... but some of the promo or new monsters I don't like that much. They look silly. For example I HATE SpacePenguin... he looks like a Darkwing Duck Villain to me... not a HUGE Monster that will take down a city...

I would still like to see some kind of huge Gelatinous Blob like monster... Boogie Woogie was close but why the Top Hat T_T... like The Sheriff's costume... unnecesary just make a TRex!

KoT was more "pure" if you will had better and simpler monster designs... 2nd ed and KoNY went the cartoony AND ridiculous route and... meh (except for Rob the Robot he is awesome!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a completionist, and I do normally try to get everything for a game I'm excited about. I have a reasonable splattering of promos for king of Tokyo and king of ny, but lately it has gotten to be too much for me.

I'm not planning to rebuy the base game from target to get the 2 new characters. I hated the lack of balance in the power up expansion, so I'm not planning to get the king of ny one. After searching for a reasonably priced space penguin, I can't muster the will to now search again for rosy pony. I was never able to find pouric. I wasn't going to spend what we needed at the dice tower ks to get the iron guy.

The reality is that the cost for a promo cardboard standee that has no unique game function is the same as a limited edition miniature with it's own rules and card from other games. It's just not sensible.

I'm hoping I can use this realization to help me be less of a completionist in other games I buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ender02 wrote:
I liked collecting until I realized tha they didn't put out the Power Up expansion for half the characters. I ended up selling off all the old promos that I had (half of them got reprinted anyway).

I would argue that I'm somewhat of a collector, but I prefer that mine are actually useful as well. Since we always play the game with Power Up, any monster that didn't have access to it and still won't when the new one comes out, is basically useless to me.

Agreed. I like collecting but not for non-functional items and, without Power-Up, none of the mosters have any functional reason to pick them over any other. Why get new monsters if they're the same as the old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to collect them all, but prices/availability is just so insane that I gave up on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one reason that I have to get as many as I can, (and make more!) is that we play with the "describe your damage" rule. The damage is described as coming from some aspect of the monster as shown on its image, or something that they did to the environment (like trashing buildings on you or tossing cars/ helicopters, etc.) Each of the monsters have a few obvious details that can be used in this way, like the rockets or sword of Cyber-bunny.

It is amazing to see the imagination of your friends and especially their kids when they do this. So it becomes more of a battle-royale feeling. This is where the collection comes in, because a battle of various Pokémon against giant Minions or retro movie monsters like Stay-puft... If done right, it can bridge generations...

<Lurk mode re-engaged...>
-Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.