Subject: Why investigate shroud value of a location with (0) no clues?.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
.....with 0 clues at revelation

What benefit does it give?

Once a location is bereft of clue tokens, is Investigating it a worthless task?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bascially, yes. I think you cannot investigate a location with no clues anyway, IIRC.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the cards you have.
The rogue card "Burglary", for example, lets you perform an INVESTIGATE action where you gain ressources instead of clues.

I reckon there will be more useful cards in the future, where you might siphon off clues from other locations, or generate clues on locations, etc.

Edit:
I have not found anything in the rules preventing you from investigating a location where there are no clues. Hence, even if the "Burglary" card states "instead of discovering clues, gain 3 ressources", I would reckon that you can play it regardless of there being any at the location you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
In the first scenario, the hallway has a shroud value of 2, but 0 clues.

What is the shroud value for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burglary allows getting resources instead of clues.
Can you use burglary in locations that don't have clues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
In that case, what is the shroud value for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Because of the cards, Burglary, Scavenging and Searching for Izzie.

You could even use Dr. Milan Christopher if you wanted.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably it's also future proofing against new scenarios or effects which may use that location set and place clues on the location via other means. Plus, consistency in card layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks..I was only playing Roland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:
Thanks..I was only playing Roland

yeah it's stupid that you can't investigate for cover up if there's no clue in the room, it's not consistent with burglary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
johncraven wrote:
yeah it's stupid that you can't investigate for cover up if there's no clue in the room, it's not consistent with burglary

It's consistent in terms of how you apply "instead" (on Burglary) and "when" (on Cover Up). Both words have dedicated sections in the RR describing how they should be applied. I don't think it's fair in this instance to say that their different use-cases are stupid. It might be fair to say that the difference between the two isn't all that intuitive, but intuition is a fickle friend at the games table. If it comes to talking about the value and implementation of having strict behaviours assigned to specific words, that's a common enough necessity in rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Ok....so it's pointless for Roland, at least in the first scenario, to investigate the hallway (shroud of 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
He cannot do it, as he would not receive clues. The condition for the card would not be triggered, hence it would not be applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich bran
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Some scenarios will add clues to locations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
mell444 wrote:
Some scenarios will add clues to locations

Curse of the Rougarou has this mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that some game effects make players drop clues. Investigating lets you pick them back up. So every location needs a shroud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could also imagine a situation where a treachery / monster effect could cause you to lose sanity based on the shroud level of your current location. Lots of possibilities for why there's shroud values on currently clueless locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Prater

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmb
supermarino wrote:
Keep in mind that some game effects make players drop clues. Investigating lets you pick them back up. So every location needs a shroud.

Yeah, specifically the ELIMINATED game effect!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please quote me the rule that says you cannot do an Investigate Action when there are no clues at your location?

Im asking because I don't think this is the case. Could be I'm misinterpreting some posts in this thread. I understand you cannot trigger Cover Up when there are no clues at the location. But Burglary surely can be used in clueless locations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
Can someone please quote me the rule that says you cannot do an Investigate Action when there are no clues at your location?

No one will be able to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:

Nobody can, because you can always investigate, no matter how many clues there are laying about.

However, some effects that trigger off of investigations (or in place of investigations) do not work at zero clue locations. Right now the only one that this happens to is Roland's Cover Up; because Roland can only activate that if he would discover a clue, Cover Up cannot be triggered at a clueless location (as right there in its wording).

But you can use Burglary and Scavenging just fine in zero-clue locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some card effects can also make you drop clues, so it makes sense all locations have shroud indicators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Wiet wrote:

No one will be able to do that.

Because they're clueless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Witt
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am in thus scenario now and it makes themetic sense to me, cover up is about either someone has covered up a vital clue and you have to see your way to seeing past it, or you are covering up clues. As far as I recall cards that let you investigate clueless rooms let you gain resources instead. As resources is very abstract it could be finding a pot and pan or a telephone. It's not a clue to solving the mission at hand, but something you can steal that might help you later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Wiet wrote:

Nobody can, because you can always investigate, no matter how many clues there are laying about.

However, some effects that trigger off of investigations (or in place of investigations) do not work at zero clue locations. Right now the only one that this happens to is Roland's Cover Up; because Roland can only activate that if he would discover a clue, Cover Up cannot be triggered at a clueless location (as right there in its wording).

But you can use Burglary and Scavenging just fine in zero-clue locations.

The Investigate Action can be chosen if there are no clues at the location, but in general an activated ability that says "investigate" cannot (Burglary is an exception because it is an "instead of" effect).

"An ability cannot initiate—and therefore its
costs cannot be paid—if the resolution of its
effect will not change the game state." (Rules Reference, pg. 7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.