Subject: Tips and Advice for a First Time Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played Blood Bowl before. It looks really cool, and up my alley, so I picked up a copy at my LGS yesterday.

Going to open and get going this weekend, any suggestions or pointers for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Never played Blood Bowl before. It looks really cool, and up my alley, so I picked up a copy at my LGS yesterday.

This should help: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677502/blood-bowl-basi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto Sarja
Finland
Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
I've been diced!
mbmbmbmbmb
At first the game might look like a total random fest, but in reality the better player will usually win the game if the teams are equally matched.

One of the most essential things to remember is that you should always do the easiest actions first if possible.

first actions that doesn't require dice rolls
standing up downed players and move them if you don't have to roll dices.
move players that are in useless spots and they aren't going to blitz.

second: actions that require the least risk OR it's an important move that can't fail this round
2 or 3 dice blocks with a player that has the block skill and isn't a loner. (if no re-rolls left then loner doesn't matter)
Blitz no matter if the blitzer has block or not, because blitz is usually an essential move.

third: actions that require more risk
blocks without the block skill or blocks with a loner player.
ball pick up / throw.
dodges.
(one dice blocks with the block skill)

fourth: think about stupid risky moves and then come to a conclusion that you shouldn't do that in most cases
dodging with an agility 1 player
one dice block without the block skill.

So usually the order goes something like this:
1. Actions that doesn't require dice rolls. Move players and don't forget to stand up players that are downed.
2. Three and Two dice blocks
3. Pick up the ball
4. Necessary dodges
5. One dice blocks with the block skill, but that isn't a must and if you didn't do that you wouldn't be playing wrong in my opinion. One dice blocks should be used rarely if possible.

It's pretty easy to see who hasn't played the game that much if they pick up the ball as their first action or blocks with their big guy first etc. People seem to think that it doesn't matter at first, but when you play the game enough, you know that isn't true. The game is all about optimizing your turns and playing in the right order has a huge impact in the long run. Bad dice rolls happen and if you don't plan ahead you will get crushed.

-------------------

Never take the +armor value stat for a player. Never. +movement or some other skill is always better in the long run.

-------------------

Fouling is a game mechanic, so you should use it against your opponents best players. It's wise don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Game mechanic, not cheating. But don't do it every turn, use it like a scalpel, not like a chainsaw.

-------------------

Try to play with the better teams first. If you play with the "funny" teams, you might not enjoy your matches that much because those teams are hard to win with. I think they are for the experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm home!
badge
The thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meltyman wrote:
The game is all about optimizing your turns and playing in the right order has a huge impact in the long run. Bad dice rolls happen and if you don't plan ahead you will get crushed.

Exactly. This game is not about making the best sports plays, it's about managing your risk, and rolling as few dice as possible, while putting your opponent in a position where they have to make more, riskier, dice rolls than they want to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

off course you should allways try to win but this game is really all about fun! See the fun in it when a player gets killed, don't get frustrated when some one makes a foul on you or when you trip when 'going for it'. It's part sports game but also part roleplaying. The Blood in the titel is there for a reason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you want to always aim to avoid rolling dice (hence less chance of things going wrong), while forcing your opponent to roll more dice (giving them more chance of things going wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
Meltyman wrote:
The game is all about optimizing your turns and playing in the right order has a huge impact in the long run. Bad dice rolls happen and if you don't plan ahead you will get crushed.

Exactly. This game is not about making the best sports plays, it's about managing your risk, and rolling as few dice as possible, while putting your opponent in a position where they have to make more, riskier, dice rolls than they want to!

Well, you really want to roll lots of dice. You just want to be able to pick from the results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.