4 Posts

Key to the City – London» Forums » General

Subject: Location and action ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it is a bit early to already start talking about an expansion but there are so many cool locations is London that I simply couldn't resist. For example: the more "gritty" locations in london would make for an awesome expansion!

- Camden Market (or at least the cyberdog shop)
- Portobello road
- Fabric
- Hackney
- Brixton (when you flip the tile you cause gentrification)
- that south bank skate area thing
- the Equadorian embassy with Julian waving at us from the balcony

Other categories that I feel could be interesting: musea, universities, metrolines and factories/production buildings (think: london pride brewery)

For mechanics: I'd love to see a building that allows me to move a couple of connectors that have been misplaced. Something that allows for a second connector between two tiles would work as well.
I also think it would be fun to see a spying function where people have to show you x amount of their keyples (so you know the colour) or give you an indication on how much they have left (too bad MI6 is already in the game).
Selling tiles from your borough back to the bank for meeples could be a cool ability for a stock exchange tile. The amount of Keyples you get to pull from the bag directly is equal to the amount of victorypoints that building would've got you. Speculation with property does seem like a very thematic thing for this game somehow

I'm curious to see your suggestions I already saw one great suggesting which was for Jack the Ripper to come to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erikjanvanoosten wrote:
I know it is a bit early to already start talking about an expansion but there are so many cool locations is London that I simply couldn't resist. For example: the more "gritty" locations in london would make for an awesome expansion!

- Camden Market (or at least the cyberdog shop)
- Portobello road
- Fabric
- Hackney
- Brixton (when you flip the tile you cause gentrification)
- that south bank skate area thing
- the Equadorian embassy with Julian waving at us from the balcony

Other categories that I feel could be interesting: musea, universities, metrolines and factories/production buildings (think: london pride brewery)

For mechanics: I'd love to see a building that allows me to move a couple of connectors that have been misplaced. Something that allows for a second connector between two tiles would work as well.
I also think it would be fun to see a spying function where people have to show you x amount of their keyples (so you know the colour) or give you an indication on how much they have left (too bad MI6 is already in the game).
Selling tiles from your borough back to the bank for meeples could be a cool ability for a stock exchange tile. The amount of Keyples you get to pull from the bag directly is equal to the amount of victorypoints that building would've got you. Speculation with property does seem like a very thematic thing for this game somehow

I'm curious to see your suggestions I already saw one great suggesting which was for Jack the Ripper to come to the game.
Hello Erik, thanks for your suggestions. I will bear these in mind should we decide to create an expansion. There are certainly many more places in London that would warrant inclusion. I hope you are enjoying the game. Best wishes, Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! Thanks Richard! Really cool to see that the designers are active on bgg! From the games we brought back from Essen, this has been the one we've played the most. Our friends love it as well, firstly because of the artwork and secondly because it is an engaging game.
My compliments on the scalability: At two players this plays very different and just as tight as a multiplayer game.

To stay on topic here, two more suggestions:
- Introduce special keyples that come into play with an accompanying building. Basic example: a specific building gets one white keyple on it when it comes to the table. After the bet is won, a player can use this keyple can join any suit. Or another building that comes out with a black keyple on it. Once the tile has been acquired this keyple can be used to join any suit and count as 1.5 keyple (basically: win a tie when using this keyple for overbidding). Famous londonners could be a way to make thematic sense of these keyples.
- Currently, tiles that nobody has bid on go back into the box. How about keeping them in the game and making them more attractive by adding a free keyple on top of them? (Ok, this is not very original as this mechanism is used games as smallworld and triassic terror, but that doesn't make it a bad idea necessarily )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmb
Next game I'm going to give these two extra rules a try.

Travelling Keyples
- When there are two trainstations in a borough, a player can choose to activate a trainstation by letting a keyple travel from one station to another in the shortest possible route (given that there are connectors in place). All tiles that the keyple travels through (including stations) get activated. so in the situation: Station - Tile - Tile - Station a keyple does activate 4 buildings and ends up at the final station.

Celebration at the monument
- When a building has become fully upgraded into a 12 point monument, it can be activated to activate all connected adjacent tiles.

These are quite powerful but the fact that all other players can use the advantages too when one player has constructed a strong combo balances it out (I suppose). Will post how it worked out. These ideas might work better in the form of a new tile that has that ability. I like the idea of having a tile that is worthless on its own but gets really good when you have 2-3 of them. It also adds to the puzzle element of strategically placing your tiles in your borough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.