21 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Please help me to choose a game mainly for solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi, I have a group which is not too much into wargames and plays only once a week, therefor I would like to buy 2 or 3 games which I could play sólo. Best would been probably mixture of historical period, but I tend most to antique period And WWI or WWII And medieval wars, first I think Ill get commands And colours ancient And Sparta expansion that Im already convinced About if u wont advice me otherwise. Any suggestions are welcommed. Aš much Aš possible, because we have only oné store Selling wargames, So the offer is yet limited. Thanx everyone for advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weire
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Point Games has some historical solo games. I have Soviet Dawn and enjoyed it.
http://www.victorypointgames.com/store/solo-playable-games.h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb

A few suggestions for solo designed games

Empires in America

A game about the French Indian War in 1754, not complex

Then any of the designs of John Butterfield, this one for instance on D-Day

D-Day at Omaha Beach

or this one, but you need to buy the base fame.

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Thanx alot, havent found this Games in Our store, it can b aswell 1-2 players game with some sólo play options, thanx for some suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many options. Have a look at this extensive list:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35598/solitaire-war-games...?

You can still buy many of the games listed, either via an online shop, or try the BGG market here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your antique period, you could try Field Commander: Alexander, which I reviewed in my very early solo exploration, so it could be close to your own situation cool

Peloponnesian War also has a good reputation ; I'm looking for that one myself, but I'm sure it has some merit.

I +1 Empires in America (second edition), even though I prefer Zulus on the Ramparts! with the same gameplay (States of Siege).

D-Day at Tarawa could also be a good choice, as it seems a bit more accessible than D-Day at Omaha Beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, you may also want to keep in mind games that are designed for 2 or more players. Many of these can be played solo by just playing all sides to the best of your ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
and if your store doesn't have it you can always try UdoGrebe at www.ugg.de he will probablky ship to the Chzech republic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
Matt, you may also want to keep in mind games that are designed for 2 or more players. Many of these can be played solo by just playing all sides to the best of your ability.

+1

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Would definitely agree with this point, particularly if you want to study and experiment with the mechanics involved. As mentioned Soviet Dawn is very enjoyable as well.

Solo specific I'd recommend:

Hapsburg Eclipse

Cruel Necessity

Two Player Solo:

The Last King of Scotland An unusual conflict, lightweight and often feels like a solo game anyway for the Tanzanian side.

Battle for Moscow (second edition)

Assault on Sevastopol

Hell's Gate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively to solo play you could check Vassal engine for number of titles. Games such as Wilderness War (last time this took about seven 1/2 hour to 1h sessions to get through early war), Hannibal Rome vs. Carthage, Pax Romana, ASL etc play splendidly over Vassal and there is bonus:

You can play against live opponent and don't have to worry if you can only manage few moves/turns/activations in a live session, or you could use pbem mode instead. Additionally you would be free of geographical constraints.

Maybe should perhaps give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to belittle other people's opinions, but personally I hate the States of Siege-games I have played. To me it doesn't feel like my decisions matter enough to keep me interested. If you're going to order a game from Victory Point Games, I would order The Barbarossa Campaign. Other personal favorites are D-Day at Omaha Beach (there's a Tarawa and a Peleliu game based on it too) and Thunderbolt Apache Leader. Navajo Wars also has very interesting gameplay, enough for me to pre-order the sequel, Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire. The latter should be shipping tomorrow, so it will soon be available.

Be aware that there are at least two types of solitaire players: Those who are mainly interested in the story, and don't care if there is a lot of luck and that your decisions don't always matter that much, and those who are mainly interested in the gameplay, and require that the game gives you plenty of tough and meaningful decisions to make. How much luck the latter category of players can stomach varies. I tend to like less luck, and that's one problem I have with Navajo Wars, although it has a lot of tough decisions to make, which draws me back to it. My favorite solitaire game isn't a wargame at all, it is Mage Knight Board Game. It has almost no luck, and plenty of tough decisions to make.

BTW, it can be a lot of fun to play certain 2-player games alone, just playing both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MapleMatt wrote:
Hi, I have a group which is not too much into wargames and plays only once a week, therefor I would like to buy 2 or 3 games which I could play sólo. Best would been probably mixture of historical period, but I tend most to antique period And WWI or WWII And medieval wars, first I think Ill get commands And colours ancient And Sparta expansion that Im already convinced About if u wont advice me otherwise. Any suggestions are welcommed. Aš much Aš possible, because we have only oné store Selling wargames, So the offer is yet limited. Thanx everyone for advice

WWII? I'm surprised no one mentioned The Hunters and Silent Victory. These are designed solitaire games. In the former, you run German U-boats on campaigns against AI routines dice-driven on cards. You deal with damage control, torpedo selection, and solo (or theoretical) wolfpack missions. The latter takes you to the Pacific as U.S. commanders.

The Hunters gets progressively more dangerous and risky as the war goes on. Confession: I haven't gotten Silent Victory to the table yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about Navajo Wars and Comancheria but I haven't played them. I own & like Conflict of Heroes -- however, I find that virtually any tactical game can be greatly enjoyed solitaire -- so if you do like tactical WWII games, I wouldn't limit myself to the ones that are explicitly solo.

With that as a preamble, for an operational solo game which is very rich & which I can personally recommend, I would suggest Enemy Action: Ardennes. The game is actually three games in one. You can play either side solo, against the system, or you can play the game against an opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Despite his avatar, Herr Wendell speaks truth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
MapleMatt wrote:

Command and Colors is iffy solo, because of the cards.

For ancients, I'd advise GBoH. The Men of Iron family is good for medieval
tactical.

Strategic solo, for medieval, I've had great fun with Empires of the Middle Ages,
which almost plays itself.

WWI strategic, I'd suggest Balance of Powers (out of newer offerings) or La Grande Guerre, if you're up for an intense experience.
If you want to go light, SPI's WW1 is good.

For WWII, the intense (safest for solo) strategic choice is World in Flames.
Moderate complexity/length, I'd suggest picking up an old copy of
3rd Reich (3rd edition or later).

There are so many WWII operational choices which work. I'd go with OCS
for the extreme level though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment there really is NO discussion about which WW2 game has the best solo AI agent available.

Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion

And that's pretty much it if you want a playable AI that is easy on the rules and offers generic fights.

The official firefights or those generated by Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear – Firefight Generator are - by the agent's nature - almost endless replayable.

Each move by the player or the AI itself can lead to a different interpretation by the agent which translates into unpredictable patterns but with logical consequences. Hence this solo system was quite a revolution in solo gaming.

Why ?

Up until then you had a fixed routinely planned AI for each unit (example look at the behaviour of units in Gears of War) or a complete random path chosen which lead to mostly random story telling (see B17 or Patton's Best or DVG Leader series) with sometimes very shitty results.

But this has now changed dramatically as the global situation on the board influences each individual possible action of the agent.

If you want WW2 battles with a high degree of simulating a particular battle, you can go to other Butterfield designs like the DDay series, but these have evidently less replayable merits and are a serious step up in rules difficulties.

Of course playing solo 2 sides of a wargame is fun too, but it is a complete different experience and in many cases it is not as satisfying, certainly not in more generic scenario settings like tactical combat without a serious hook to real fought operations or well documented battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Crete 1941 was a rather good solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
calandale wrote:
MapleMatt wrote:

Command and Colors is iffy solo, because of the cards.

My gaming partner owns the Napoleonic C&C and I've played it with him several times. I agree with Enrico about the cards. I imagine that you probably could play solo but I think it would be tough. It really is a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WW2 themed great solo play: Any of the D Day at series. Omaha and Tarawa are being reprinted this spring. Peleliu is probably still available at places and Iwo Jima is coming out hopefully early 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drjohnny wrote:
WWII? I'm surprised no one mentioned The Hunters and Silent Victory. These are designed solitaire games. In the former, you run German U-boats on campaigns against AI routines dice-driven on cards. You deal with damage control, torpedo selection, and solo (or theoretical) wolfpack missions. The latter takes you to the Pacific as U.S. commanders.

The Hunters gets progressively more dangerous and risky as the war goes on. Confession: I haven't gotten Silent Victory to the table yet.

I considered mentioning those games, although I don't think I would like them. Aren't those games a bit light on decision making and heavy on luck? While telling a good story, of course (isn't that what people like about them?). I think I would dislike them for the same reasons I dislike States of Siege-games (which is why I cancelled my pre-orders for them). But many people like them, so it all comes down to what kind of solitaire gamer you are. For someone into that kind of solitaire game, I think Enemy Coast Ahead can be good too. I have a copy, but never got past the tutorial. When I realized how light it was on decision making, I lost interest. Too many procedures, too few decisions. The same happened with RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 actually, a game which felt like a decent simulation, and which I would recommend to anyone who doesn't care about the luck aspect and the low decisions-to-procedures ratio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.