51st State: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Player interaction..? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F S
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
I stumbled over this game after seeing some reviews and building one's engine looks super fun, the artwork is gorgeous, and I am generally very intrigued by this little game.

However, it seems there is barely any player interaction at all. Everyone seems to be building up their engines in almost total isolation and at some point someone announces they've won.

Of course you can destroy the buildings of others and you can make use of their open production buildings, but it seems a stretch to call those elements "interaction".. it seems like you barely have to ever look up from your board (except a few glances every now and again to check whether someone is doing something dangerous) let alone a reason to ever talk to some of the other players. In fact, engine building seems so involved and interesting that I can easily see people (myself included) become so absorbed by this that we're all just sitting there in silence until someone wins.

What's your experience with this? Am I projecting too much here, or is this one simply not for me?

I'm mostly asking because in my experience, the games that hit the table most often are the ones where there's lots of table talk and people engage with each other just as much as with the game. This one seems to be very much lacking the former?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember much interaction from my two plays a couple of months ago, but when interaction happened, it was by no means inconsequential. Taking out someone's building can be quite an impact, and it's easy to ruin someone's plans by taking an open production spot of a third player before they do it. Yes, we were mostly focused on our own stuff, but it didn't feel solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't define this as a high player interaction game, but I wouldn't say it has no interaction either.

In my opinion the interaction is felt:
- in the draft, sometimes denying someone a card is important
- in the only two contact cards available every round, and with the open production cards, where you get a "worker placement" urgency feel
- in razing opponent cards, it doesn't happen that often usually, but it is important - also choosing when to pass by looking at what others are doing can be crucial

I'm not sure it this answer was helpful or gave you even more doubts though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razing happens rather infrequently in my experience. But when it does happen, it's quite consequential, as Kārlis said. So you want to constantly keep an eye on your fellow players and see how many raze tokens/guns they have. Because if you end your turn, you can't be attacked/razed anymore.

There's not too much table talk (unless people gang up on the leader).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F S
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
No_Frets wrote:
- in the draft, sometimes denying someone a card is important
- in the only two contact cards available every round, and with the open production cards, where you get a "worker placement" urgency feel

Oh right, I forgot about those two elements.. that definitely makes it more interesting then. I'm not entirely convinced, but back to the wishlist it goes; maybe there's a sale or somesuch in the future

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri Seese
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first 2 games last night and the first game ended with a 46-46 tie but I won the tiebreaker because of having more goods. I would have won the game outright if she didn't raze my location that allowed me to score 3 VP for a worker and 2 gears before I had a chance to use it in the last round. She won the 2nd game 50-42 thanks to her razing another one of my 3 VP scoring locations and me not razing her 5 VP scoring Gun Shop location before she scored it for the maximum points.

While we did not have a bunch of interaction in our 2 games the Look Out Phase/Drafting and paying attention to what your opponent is building and what Open Production they have available is certainly important in the game.

Even though we have only played 2 games, we found both of them very enjoyable and I think I may like this better than Imperial Settlers. Since the Master Set Edition includes both expansions and the really nice wooden tokens, I think it is a great buy if you can find it for under $40.

Oops, I did not realize I was on my opponents account shake
This was actually written and posted by
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri Seese
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZoeyStarr1 wrote:
We just played our first 2 games last night and the first game ended with a 46-46 tie but I won the tiebreaker because of having more goods. I would have won the game outright if she didn't raze my location that allowed me to score 3 VP for a worker and 2 gears before I had a chance to use it in the last round. She won the 2nd game 50-42 thanks to her razing another one of my 3 VP scoring locations and me not razing her 5 VP scoring Gun Shop location before she scored it for the maximum points.

While we did not have a bunch of interaction in our 2 games the Look Out Phase/Drafting and paying attention to what your opponent is building and what Open Production they have available is certainly important in the game.

Even though we have only played 2 games, we found both of them very enjoyable and I think I may like this better than Imperial Settlers. Since the Master Set Edition includes both expansions and the really nice wooden tokens, I think it is a great buy if you can find it for under $40.

Oops, I did not realize I was on my opponents account shake
This was actually written and posted by
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb

The above post although not completely accurate is a fair account of how the game played. I like how in 51st State the game ends at a score of 25. The last game we played that is what won it for me, I raced off numerous points in the last round before he knew what hit him I was at 25. cool
It is definitely Imperial Settlers like but with enough differences to make it very enjoyable. Although I really like how Imperial Settlers factions are so different from each other, more so that 51st State. But typical boy-like enjoyment he like the guns and ammo and destruction. Very enjoyable game. Can't wait to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
(Based on 2 players, as games can tend to get less interactive with more players as there's a lot going on, then again I would only really play this with 2 anyway)

It can get very interactive with New Era (where razing gets more bonuses / cards), we've had games with a lot of razing going on and even with just a bit you're taking out someone's key / combo card. If you let someone combo it will be solitarish but you can take out a link in the combo chain. You can also take a connection card, use open production, use someone eleses resources (with a card), steal a resource (with a card), pick a card they may need, hold 5 raze tokens back to wait for them to play their useful action card or force them to pass.

I didn't like Race for the Galaxy but this one feels different, especailly with the Mutant Union faction. I is a very nice game, Winter is there for a less confrontational game. The solo mode also includes a fair bit of razing as well. Looking forward to the expansion, not sure why the master set didn't include the other 2 factions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.