Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Trending towards 98 Million $ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Mr. Poots,
are you ready for this?:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no. These trend graphs are always exaggerated in the first couple of days, it's pretty much impossible to maintain the rate of pledges for that long. The rate of increase has already sharply declined (as is usual) and will probably remain low until the last 3 or 4 days of the KS.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alder99 wrote:
Mr. Poots,
are you ready for this?:


Trending is not a prediction. It's the sum total earned so far, divided by the time the campaign has run, multiplied out for the length of the campaign. That figure will drop significantly as the campaign progresses.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the limited high-end pledges front loaded some of the total amount.

There will be a slower progression as people boost pledges in response to add-ons being revealed individually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


Aye, nothing like a game that looks about as fun as uno to get the money flowing in.

In seriousness, though, I think a more sizable percentage of our community would rather beat out the Dark Souls board game. That's more to KDMs niche. And afterwards we can claim the moral prestige of forcing the DS boardgame to compare itself to us...but for wimps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


Aye, nothing like a game that looks about as fun as uno to get the money flowing in.

In seriousness, though, I think a more sizable percentage of our community would rather beat out the Dark Souls board game. That's more to KDMs niche. And afterwards we can claim the moral prestige of forcing the DS boardgame to compare itself to us...but for wimps.


I'm not quite understanding the amount of hate, or should I say disdain, that the DS board game is getting. I mean yes, it has sold well solely from the IP recognition, but really, the only similarity to KD is that the bosses use AI decks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not leaping to Dark Souls' defence like a rabid fanboy (diss the video games though and I'll cut you!) and the campaign, after it closed, hasn't been run terribly well (and yes, I'm aware thats an understatement) but is there room for both?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


Yeah, I doubt it'll happen. Exploding Kittens had a low price of entry, putting it in the "impulse purchase" category, and also had massive mainstream appeal because of the cartoonist and the simple, family-friendly gameplay. By contrast Kingdom Death is incredibly expensive, and has theme, style, and gameplay that makes it more niche.

The amount the Kickstarter is raising is phenomenal, but I'm not sure it's going to break that Exploding Kittens record.

Maybe once Adam releases the Pokemon reskin it will be a different story... "Gotta Hunt Em All."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
The Waspman wrote:
IASeldon wrote:
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


Aye, nothing like a game that looks about as fun as uno to get the money flowing in.

In seriousness, though, I think a more sizable percentage of our community would rather beat out the Dark Souls board game. That's more to KDMs niche. And afterwards we can claim the moral prestige of forcing the DS boardgame to compare itself to us...but for wimps.


I'm not quite understanding the amount of hate, or should I say disdain, that the DS board game is getting. I mean yes, it has sold well solely from the IP recognition, but really, the only similarity to KD is that the bosses use AI decks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not leaping to Dark Souls' defence like a rabid fanboy (diss the video games though and I'll cut you!) and the campaign, after it closed, hasn't been run terribly well (and yes, I'm aware thats an understatement) but is there room for both?



Sure there's room for both! I just want to scoff down at them, point at our backer pledges, and yell "git gud noob!"

And I enjoy the video games immensely, which is why I took a look at the board game, scratched my head and said: "Why don't they just play the actual games?" Because, let's face it: that board game is just...the name, really. There doesn't seem to be much more to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. L.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Given the significant drop in value of the British Pound post Brexit, what is the US dollar value of what the Dark Souls Kickstarter raised, at the time the campaign finished up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:

Sure there's room for both! I just want to scoff down at them, point at our backer pledges, and yell "git gud noob!"

And I enjoy the video games immensely, which is why I took a look at the board game, scratched my head and said: "Why don't they just play the actual games?" Because, let's face it: that board game is just...the name, really. There doesn't seem to be much more to it.


Hmph. You'll be looking down at me too then! I did a late pledge for it, though in terms of priorities, it was IP>Mini's>Gameplay. The latter of which we still don't really know all that much about.

I'm trying not to tell myself I've basically dropped £80 on a bunch of Dark Souls mini's (most of which I wont get until the back end of next year) and a game I have a great deal of misgivings about.

Back then though, I didn't even know about Kingdom Death, so there's that too.


Tabris wrote:
Given the significant drop in value of the British Pound post Brexit, what is the US dollar value of what the Dark Souls Kickstarter raised, at the time the campaign finished up?


At the time, the Dark Souls campaign raised about $5.4 million. Post referendum, it has actually been better for Americans to get any extra's in the (much delayed) pledge manager. Sadly not the same for us poor Brits...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


I know you're probably right but I hope you're wrong.

In the grand scheme of things it's meaningless, and people can like what they like and spend their money however they want.

But the fact that an UNO variant - and a significantly worse one, at that - has surpassed KD:M and so many other games that are painstakingly crafted and designed, is just insulting and face-palm-worthy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
Haha. Yeah. At 98 million I couldn't imagine the logistics behind that. Probably will top out at 7-8mil.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKillShirt wrote:
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


I know you're probably right but I hope you're wrong.

In the grand scheme of things it's meaningless, and people can like what they like and spend their money however they want.

But the fact that an UNO variant - and a significantly worse one, at that - has surpassed KD:M and so many other games that are painstakingly crafted and designed, is just insulting and face-palm-worthy.


Not really an insult, is it? No more so than the popularity of Trivial Pursuit and Monopoly. That's just us looking at things from our side of the fence.

Every sale of the silly Kitten game represents someone, somewhere, switching off a television or putting down a smartphone, getting together with friends or family, and actually interacting in a fun way. And that's what board games are all about.

Not everything has to have loftier aspirations than being a bit of a lark.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheKillShirt wrote:
ObsoleteThree wrote:
I'll be surprised if we surpass exploding kittens. I hope we get there but I'm not holding my breathe.


I know you're probably right but I hope you're wrong.

In the grand scheme of things it's meaningless, and people can like what they like and spend their money however they want.

But the fact that an UNO variant - and a significantly worse one, at that - has surpassed KD:M and so many other games that are painstakingly crafted and designed, is just insulting and face-palm-worthy.


The power went out, so I burnt a bundle of fifties so I could locate my wallet.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.