Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamal Rahhali
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Just picked this up in a math trade, and looking forward to it. Didn't realize rated time was 120min. That's on the lengthier side of games I play.

While 2h is not necessarily a problem, it would be nice to have the option of shortening it.

For those that have played it, is there a good way to shorten the game length?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not trying to be flippant, but the first places to start are always the same... Learn the rules well. Teach them well. Then play the game to learn the mechanisms, not to win. Find players that do same also. Then once you've got the game down, play to win. You'll know how long it takes you to actually play the game. If it is still too long, then you'll be in a position to make adjustments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Not trying to be flippant, but the first places to start are always the same... Learn the rules well. Teach them well. Then play the game to learn the mechanisms, not to win. Find players that do same also. Then once you've got the game down, play to win. You'll know how long it takes you to actually play the game. If it is still too long, then you'll be in a position to make adjustments.

First, I want to say that the game does not feel like it drags, game length feels alright. However, if you want to shorten the game I believe there is an easy way to do this. The Oil Baron's train is the timing mechanism for the game. At the beginning of each turn a Special Action Card is drawn. This card tells you how far the Baron's train moves. For a shorter game simply add 1 to the number shown on the card. I have never tried this, and it might make the game too short. Maybe it would be better to add 1 every time a 1 distance (the distance ranges from 1 to 3) is drawn instead. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's rules already have variations for a short and long game, in addition to a normal game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.