$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

LOAD: League of Ancient Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: How is the gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daman whodaman
msg tools
For those who have it? What are your reviews on it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Carpenito
msg tools
Kickstarted it, tried it.
It's, well... It's nothing but throwing dice at each other for too long to keep having fun. Classes do not matter, everyone does the same stuff except for assassins that die just a bit faster. Having max one hero per rectangular field is a huge pain in the ass that does not add any tactical depth beyond "one melee per lane". The game is in infinite length as creep waves do not matter and heroes who try approaching an objective can be focused down quite easily, that is if the forest does not do them in first.
Cool components though! Maybe someone could use the rulebook as a basis for an actual half decent game using the same material.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Nataraja wrote:
Kickstarted it, tried it.
It's, well... It's nothing but throwing dice at each other for too long to keep having fun. Classes do not matter, everyone does the same stuff except for assassins that die just a bit faster. Having max one hero per rectangular field is a huge pain in the ass that does not add any tactical depth beyond "one melee per lane". The game is in infinite length as creep waves do not matter and heroes who try approaching an objective can be focused down quite easily, that is if the forest does not do them in first.
Cool components though! Maybe someone could use the rulebook as a basis for an actual half decent game using the same material.


Sounds so far mediocre and lacking fun
Any other reviews as worried that it looks great but will come-out flat as a game..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you copy - word for word - all your rules and characters from another's game, change them only when you get caught, then rush the game into print on the same timeline you had before.....then chances are the game WILL be pants. Because quite clearly there could have been little or no playtesting of the final rules.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude nameless
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Rulebook and print'n'play are out for months.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgianni wrote:
Rulebook and print'n'play are out for months.


It was the end of May when the plagiarised rules were withdrawn.
It was the end of July when the rulebook went to the printers.

By my maths, that means they had just two months to write the rules, and playtest them to make sure that (a) there were no kinks or errors, (b) the game was fun to play, and (c) there was no IP infringement.

That's a hell of a tight timescale to go from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" - and would seem to be the reason for the generally lacklustre reports coming in on the finished product.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:


That's a hell of a tight timescale to go from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" - and would seem to be the reason for the generally lacklustre reports coming in on the finished product.


What reports are you talkling about ? The one review and the short report here in this thread or is there more ?

On a related topic 'Guards of Atlantis' just received a good review from the Dice Tower. Will be interesting to compare the two games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Stu Holttum wrote:


That's a hell of a tight timescale to go from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" - and would seem to be the reason for the generally lacklustre reports coming in on the finished product.


What reports are you talkling about ? The one review and the short report here in this thread or is there more ?


Quite. The game has been with some people for a fortnight now and I haven't yet seen a single considered positive comment about the gameplay. Plenty of praise for the minis, sure.

Over the last few years, I've backed and received well over 100 games. Almost without exception, BGG has been abuzz with chatter almost from the second the first backer copy plops onto a doormat. I can't recall BGG for a new Kickstarter so much resembling a graveyard as for this game. Compare the poststorm for The Others, for example - not all positive, sure, but at least provoking a reaction. Reaction to LOAD thus far seems to be ".........oh.". Still, maybe it will all pick up and the glowing reviews and session reports will flood in.

Personally, I doubt it - as I would doubt ANY game that (as I said) went from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" in under two months. Not saying its impossible, mark you - but there does seem to be a feeling that "fast fulfilment" was the overriding concern of Prodos Archon for this game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Personally, I doubt it - as I would doubt ANY game that (as I said) went from "unwritten idea" to "printed rulebook" in under two months. Not saying its impossible, mark you - but there does seem to be a feeling that "fast fulfilment" was the overriding concern of Prodos Archon for this game.

My interpretation at the time of the KS was Archon's primary concern was to prove they could produce excellent quality minis at a low price with their new technique. If successful, they would become a manufacturer for other companies' miniature projects.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett MacDonald
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandor wrote:
My interpretation at the time of the KS was Archon's primary concern was to prove they could produce excellent quality minis at a low price with their new technique. If successful, they would become a manufacturer for other companies' miniature projects.


Well I think everyone hopes Archon succeeds on that front. No one is questioning their skills at making minis or how great Unicast is. They got a real winner there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini's do not a game make, and mini's do not customer service make, either. I've read on the Quirkworthy blog and Dakka forums that Prodos / Archon treats its small customers poorly. It was clear to the customer that Prodos / Archon wasn't QA'ing the molds properly, leading to a degradation in miniature quality. Both Mantic and Prodos / Archon do seem to be taking steps towards fixing their reputations (even GW is doing it), but I have plenty of other projects I can back in the meantime.

Not enough money or time to paint, of course... laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Back on topic... so anyone else who actually has the game is willing to put his review here. Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually got in for the minis, i'm designing a MOBA game (just for me and few close freinds, for now), and the minis were spot on! if there is a decent game on top of this, all the better!

I would like to hear what more people think of the game play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
drakkonblade wrote:
Back on topic... so anyone else who actually has the game is willing to put his review here. Thanks


Well..there is the review by Undead Viking.

(Was that pre or post the rules scandal?) laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dilkROM
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
My copy just arrived today. I'm on holidays for a week at least but I'll read up on the rules during that time and put together a brief review here on BGG once I return and get a chance to play it. Working on a new website / YouTube channel on the side of my main project(s) and once that's up I'll do a fuller review. From what I'm hearing though, I don't hold my breath much...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Kopah
United States
Bad Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as bad or completely without tactics as many early/print & players have made it out to be. If these guys are charging straight in, moving their creeps as far as allowed each turn (you can choose whether they move 1 or 2 spaces; whether they merge with open ranks in front of them, etc.)and rushing their heroes into firing range of the towers, then yes, it will be a senseless dice-chucker. That isn't how it is meant to be played by experienced players though. The strategies are subtle. While it may not be the deepest game out there, it certainly doesn't resemble the flat game that I see described in the reviews here.

I think this poor initial reaction to the gameplay may actually be a side effect of it being so closely based upon MOBAs as those also seem to come across to new players as fairly simple affairs and the depth is only fully understood hundreds of hours later...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Well..there is the review by Undead Viking.

(Was that pre or post the rules scandal?) laugh


IIRC, UV distanced himself from the "Is Archon really Prodos" brouhahah. I don't remember if he didn't know the rules were plagiarized, but he *did* say he hadn't played MOBA boardgames before. Considering that CMON's Rum and Bones is the best known MOBA boardgame (including a second edition), any LOAD review I'd like to see would include a comparison between the two games, preferably by someone who owns both (to avoid ownership bias).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
msg tools
So I just got my core game the other day. Haven't got the expansions yet since I am in the US, but I must say I really enjoyed the game play. I don't agree with other posts that say each character brings little impact to the game. Their offensive abilities do seem to weaken throughout the game as you get better items, but I do think that once I have all the heroes to choose from the game will get even more enjoyable. As has been stated before the miniatures that come with the game are gorgeous, and the board and cards are all high quality. I would defiantly recommend this game to friends, and I am happy I backed the project.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Kopah
United States
Bad Axe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickybobby17b wrote:
So I just got my core game the other day. Haven't got the expansions yet since I am in the US, but I must say I really enjoyed the game play. I don't agree with other posts that say each character brings little impact to the game. Their offensive abilities do seem to weaken throughout the game as you get better items, but I do think that once I have all the heroes to choose from the game will get even more enjoyable. As has been stated before the miniatures that come with the game are gorgeous, and the board and cards are all high quality. I would defiantly recommend this game to friends, and I am happy I backed the project.


It does seem like there are a few people(who, it should be noted, don't seem to own or have played the game) that only come here to post misleading information or dredge up long resolved controversies that arose during the game's production.
The opinions from the people who actually possess a copy have been quite a bit more positive. Archon's connection to Prodos is unfortunate as this is a fun game that many are going to bash simply because of that relationship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Eater
msg tools
People on BGG do love their kickstarter drama.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Penn Howard
msg tools
Sam and Max wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
Well..there is the review by Undead Viking.

(Was that pre or post the rules scandal?) laugh


IIRC, UV distanced himself from the "Is Archon really Prodos" brouhahah. I don't remember if he didn't know the rules were plagiarized, but he *did* say he hadn't played MOBA boardgames before. Considering that CMON's Rum and Bones is the best known MOBA boardgame (including a second edition), any LOAD review I'd like to see would include a comparison between the two games, preferably by someone who owns both (to avoid ownership bias).


I dont own rum and bones but ive played tons of load and had a good look at the r&b rules and theres plenty of differences between them

Re: gameplay

I really enjoy it, while the dice and forest mean luck plays a big part that has led to some really cool situations. I have to disagree on the thing about heroes being too similar and minions not mattering, ive used tons of strategy with my minions. With heroes theres far more difference between them than just how many dice they role, theres a huge ammount of variety of skills and even within a single role theres lots of diversity. For example archers, while they are primarily ranged characters that have powerful signiture weapon attacks, impel super embraces a focus on using her signiture weapon, blip and blain have huge damage potential with high mana usage, vi letalis is more defensive, able to push enemies awayfrom towers/into favorable positions as well as stop towers from being sniped, medusa has huge aoe and can throw a ton of dice at multiple targets and finally the prophet is the most self sustaining archer, able to stick in fights for longer by healing herself. And thats just 1 role, the other roles have just as much variety and ive really enjoyed finding synergies and strategies between the various heroes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.