Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: Gameplay question regarding real time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley van der Burg
msg tools
Hello,

I am contemplating buying this game.
I do have one problem with it, and I hope some people who have actually played the game can refute this.

If you play real time, isn't it a lot easier to just not move, wait until you have a pretty good fix on the other sub (who do not know where you are, maybe they have found out the sector using a Drone but that's that). Then just move towards them using three moves and fire a torpedo? Rinse and repeat.

That is the only thing keeping me from buying at this moment, so I hope I am just missing something

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
It's possible but you have to be close to the other sub to fire a torpedo. And you cannot keep doing it because of the machine 'damage' you have to take for every movement. I don't think it would be a successful strategy but it would most certainly be the most boring strategy you could choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And when you did finally move towards them, they'd have all their systems fully charged, so they could sneak away silently and you'd be trying to dodge the mines they put down the entire time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't have the rulebook with me, but I belive that it stipulates that you must move each turn. I think the only exception is for Silent Running.

Could be wrong... that's only from my memory. If I'm right then that answers your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
you must move each turn
He's asking about realtime, not turn-based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:
you must move each turn
He's asking about realtime, not turn-based.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. Thanks for catching that. I have too many games swirling around in my head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley van der Burg
msg tools
Thanks for the answers guys, was just curious if it balances out should one team try this tactic.

Ordered a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wesley,

I have only played and moderated the game five times so far.

Your observation on getting a lock on the enemy sub, firing a direct hit with a torpedo, then moving three times extremely quickly and firing again is a potential problem.

I have a bunch of thoughts on the game from these plays but the post is waiting for moderation approval.

If the sub under fire doesn't have silence active and ready they are in real trouble.

My suggestion for a potential fix is to allow any sub which has faced direct fire from a torpedo (and possibly this may need to be extrapolated to mines as well) one non-communicated, immediate movement.

Cheers,
Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Muir
msg tools
You could sit there and eventually figure out where the other team is...however, they are going to notice that you are all sitting there not doing anything (except your radio operator) and thus not moving.

So now that sub can take its time to move precisely so they never need to surface (thus not really giving away their location) and if it is one of the harder maps with more open water, they will not have to worry too much about revealing movement trails, all while charging their green and red systems to find out exactly where you are sitting and be ready to fire.

So you could do it (your the captain, pilot it as you wish!), but I think it would give the edge to the other sub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this before as Captain. Just stopped with readied items and waited. It can work but it can also fail. You also needed to have moved prior to charge up your systems.

I've found surfacing with readied weapons as a trap much more sinister and enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other side notices that you are not moving, couldn't they just stop moving as well and force a stalemate? Boring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt this is going to be a big problem. You have to start with some initial moves in order to ready your systems. On most maps, that should leave at least one of the teams with enough info to figure out where the enemy is.

This is also an actual tactic in submarine warfare, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.