5 Posts

Imperium» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another Planetary Defense Fire chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
The 2nd Ed. rules make the PDM even less of a good buy than the OP.
The 1st Ed. rules made them the same as a World.
This CRT makes PDM twice as good as an OP but not as good as a World.

When firing at a JT or Capital Ship shift 1 column to the right, instead of the -1 DRM.

die . . World . . PDM . . OP. . OP
roll . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . reduced
. 1 . . . D . . . . . D . . . D . . . D*
. 2 . . . D . . . . . D . . . -- .. . --
. 3 . . . D . . . . . -- . . . -- .. . --
. 4 . . . -- . . . . . -- .. . -- . . . --
. 5 . . . -- . . . . . -- . .. -- . . . --
. 6 . . . -- . . . . . -- . .. -- . . . --

The D* means roll 2 dice and you get a D result if the total is 2 or 3 or you rolled 2 & 2. This gives you 4/36 or 1/9 chance of a D result compared to a 1/6 chance without the column shift.

When firing at a Disrupted ship you shift 1 column to the left. A World will then have 4 chances of a Hit. Add with edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Re: Another Planetary Dfence Fire chart
Another idea.
This CRT makes PDM 1.67 times better than an OP but not as good as a World. A World is 1.4 times better than a PDM. The OP is 1.5 times better than a reduced OP.

When firing at a JT or Capital Ship use the -1 DRM.

die . . World . . PDM . . OP
roll . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .
. 1 . . . D . . . . . D . .. . D*
. 2 . . . D . . . . . D . .. . D
. 3 . . . D . . . . . D* . . . --
. 4 . . . D* . .. . . -- . . . --
. 5 . . . -- . . . . . -- . . . --
. 6 . . . -- . . . . . -- . . . --

The D* means roll again with a 50-50 chance of a D result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
People argued about whether planetary defenses could be moved after being deployed. I believe that they are redeployable, which changes the cost balance notably in their favor. Capture a planet, move PD forward to defend it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
elbmc1969 wrote:
People argued about whether planetary defenses could be moved after being deployed. I believe that they are redeployable, which changes the cost balance notably in their favor. Capture a planet, move PD forward to defend it ...

Thanks for your reply.!!

Yes, there is a thread in "Rules" about this.
I argued that they can't be moved for 3 reasons:
. . 1] They are not repatriated at the end of a war like all other units, except Monitors.
. . 2] They are "Markers" and the other 2 kinds of markers can't be moved. The designers could have called them Planetary Defense Systems, Planetary Defense Troops, Planetary Defense Units, or Planetary Defense Artillery. They didn't do this, they called the "Markers" and lumped them in with Worlds and OP which can't be moved.
. . 3] They are not operational as soon as they are placed. To quote the rule -- "Each becomes operational at the end of the Player-turn in which it is placed." While troops and OP "become operational" as soon as they are placed. This makes it seem like there is major building process, perhaps involving a lot of concrete. This would make it hard to move them.

The other side didn't seem to have any reason why they can be moved, except that the rules don't say they can't be.

However, the rules are unclear about a lot of things and so we have to make our best decision about what was meant. For example, when can a ship leave a PSB of an unfriendly system [no friendly OP or World marker there]? The rules say you can land there only in the Planetary Interaction Phase of a Combat Phase, but they don't say when can you leave? And can you be fired at by defensive OP or PDM as you leave?

So, I think your rule is a change and a variant, not the original rule. This is fine, but why not change their cost while you are at it?

My thinking is that buying 5 Reg. Troop units is a better way to defend a PSB than buying 1 PDM. Note: I said to defend the PSB, because PDM are better at killing spaceships than troops are. But, I rarely get to kill any ships [except TR] with a PDM. And they rust between wars with 1 unlucky roll, instead of 5 for the 5 RT units.

The 1st edit for spelling, the 2nd was for the things in blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
People, my submission of a slight edit job of the file for the 4 new CRT I need for Imperium IV has been approved.

Please go download it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.