Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play the base game first before adding any expansion. The base game offers a ton of replayability already and for your first campaign (and then some) it will offer you plenty of variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Bollenbeck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First run u should play it vanilla. Just the core game, trust me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, my suggestion is to play through vanilla first. And while that would be my suggestion for any game, it goes doubly for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
None. Learn the game by playing it vanilla. The expansions are recommended for experienced players and you don't need them at all at the beginnig as everything will fell new, anyway.

Besides I would say every expansion added makes the game harder for unexperienced players (because of more hard fights or more ways to dilute your settlement focus). The Flower Knight might be exception as it's said to make game generally easier, but I wouldn't add it to the first playthrough anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
So, none of course.

For the second playthrough...well, if you don't count the number of resets you'll go through to beat it the first time: add the Gorm and possibly DBK. Just those two will change the game quite a bit.

I'd suggest running a solo game that you have no intention of completing and just mix and match the expacs to see what they all do and how they interact with one-another. That way you can be on some solid ground when you do co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None! No, really! Seriously!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, you need to play through the core campaign as is - it's a ton of content and deserves your attention before adding additional stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'mm gonna buck the trend and say you can get away with one or two of the smaller, less disruptive expansions.

Flower Knight is probably the best, as it does make the game easier (first time players might appreciate this, frankly) and doesn't change things too much. It's also not an enemy you hunt often, so you'll still hunt the three core quarries a lot more.

You could maybe sneak the Lion Knight in there too. Not Manhunter or Slenderman, they change the game a lot, but the Lion Knight's caravan can enhance the core game (those armour sets rely on core quarries only, and the limited ability to recycle gear is pretty helpful) without wider changes to the campaign. Of course, this will make things harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's put the question differently. I pledged the core game and intend to play it. Check.
If I want to add one or two extensions, which should it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
boulou wrote:
Let's put the question differently. I pledged the core game and intend to play it. Check.
If I want to add one or two extensions, which should it be?

Dragon King or Sunstalker (both add big variant campaigns, with a huntable quarry each), and Gorm (Year 1 monster; the White Lion is the most fought, so Gorm provides variation).

Of course, not much is known about the new expansions yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tips guys. I might buy flower knight just to scratch the itch if it's available as an addon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheEremite wrote:
I'mm gonna buck the trend and say you can get away with one or two of the smaller, less disruptive expansions.

Flower Knight is probably the best, as it does make the game easier (first time players might appreciate this, frankly) and doesn't change things too much. It's also not an enemy you hunt often, so you'll still hunt the three core quarries a lot more.

You could maybe sneak the Lion Knight in there too. Not Manhunter or Slenderman, they change the game a lot, but the Lion Knight's caravan can enhance the core game (those armour sets rely on core quarries only, and the limited ability to recycle gear is pretty helpful) without wider changes to the campaign. Of course, this will make things harder.

Lion Knight is too hard for beginners. His speed, movement and damage make hard for unexperienced players, and even his rewards can be deadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys. I might buy flower knight just to scratch the itch if it's available as an addon

For me the flower knight is one of my favorite encounters, its fun and interesting BUT, the rewards for defeating the flower knight arent great, he lacks an insentive to fight him more than a couple of times.

If you want more difficulty then the manhunter, dung beetle knight, lion knight and lion god will bring it.

If you want more variety without making game to difficult then the gorm, flower knight and spidicules will bring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None, play the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
None

Maybe gorm just to switch it up from hunting lions into extinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.