Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

GMT has given the OK to lengthen the USE 2nd edition (USE2) rulebook for the primary purpose of adding images to some of the examples.

I am curious which examples you feel would benefit from an image.

I am also wondering if there is a rule that does not have an example, but you feel would benefit from having one.

Based on the response level, I'll use this as an unofficial poll.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin F
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval supply checks, hands down. I feel like a good example areas that covers most of the points of consideration would be the Red Sea/Eastern Med region since it contains land, ports, and off-map boxes.

Been playing a campaign game for about a year now (off and on) and naval supply rules are still tripping us up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kellomäki
Finland
Tampere
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a couple of years since my learning phase, but I don't think I felt the rules were missing examples. Maybe more high level overviews, explaining important rule subsystem interactions, and overall "whys" instead of just "hows" (example, 1.5 sorties: doesn't mention combat penalties, IMO it could hint at the fact that you want to keep your units in as good a condition as possible, and how the penalty allows a side to achieve air superiority).

I vaguely recall the most confusing part for me was understanding the system of politics as a whole: appeasement, n/s pact, moscow treaty, policy evaluation, and the semi-related events and counters like west/east invaded or setting up the factories lost markers. Unless I'm mistaken, the whole system is not explained in a single place so you need to understand many rules in isolation to see the big picture.

And yes, the naval missions, supply, etc.

BTW, if you haven't done that already, it may be a good idea to glance through the rules questions here and find recurring themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All facets of naval movement/supply sequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Tempest
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Sal!

I think the examples in the following rules would benefit from one image per rule around the following areas:

1.3.3 Lake Peipus and the Gulf of Finland;
3.3 Paris, with units;
4.2.3.1 Paris, with other units;
5.2.1 Sea Zone 22, with units;
6.2.5.2 The North Sea, with units and an alternate flight path via hexes 1914 and 1920;
6.3.2.6 Tunis, Malta, and Taranto, with units;
7.4.2 Konigsberg and Lodz, with unit;
7.4.3 Benghazi, with units.

Tristan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
22222 22222
msg tools
mb
Daemou wrote:

I vaguely recall the most confusing part for me was understanding the system of politics as a whole: appeasement, n/s pact, moscow treaty, policy evaluation, and the semi-related events and counters like west/east invaded or setting up the factories lost markers. Unless I'm mistaken, the whole system is not explained in a single place so you need to understand many rules in isolation to see the big picture.

+1

(i love this game )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salvatore,

Related to this, do you happen to know if GMT will be selling components from the 2nd edition?

My understanding is that the new printing will just have the most current errata and fixed player aids. Meaning all that is different in the 2nd edition is that the rulebook has all errata included. I would love to be able to purchase just those for my existing 1st Edition copy.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:
Related to this, do you happen to know if GMT will be selling components from the 2nd edition?

I don't know if GMT will be doing this. You may want to email them directly.

The 2nd edition may have a map with a slightly revised Scandinavia area. However, the changes there will be mainly cosmetic and not affect game play. GMT is going to sell mounted maps separately. So if you want to have the 2nd ed map without buying the whole game, you can pre-order the mounted map.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Things I'd like to see:

1) A table with historical set ups for minor neutrals:
- Would be interesting to anyone wanting to know what historically happened.
- Would reduce the decisions/intimidation for newbies (e.g. 'I have no idea where to put these 4 Swedish units').

2) More designer notes sprinkled throughout the rules (e.g.'Why does it costs the same number of RPs to mobilize a army as it does to fight it for 1 month?' or 'Why can the Factory Lost marker never go to 0?').

3) A series replay of actual WWII campaigns (or of the entire war):
- What does D-Day and the liberation of France look like? (What hexes are fought over, which are the Allies just moving through on their way to the new front? When are which event chits played?)
- When Hitler met Franco and failed to get anything of value, was that his diplomatic chit pull for that turn (a failure costing him 5 RPs)?
- What does the Battle of France look like? (Air campaign, Allied counter attacke, timing/use of event chits, etc.).

I've just been getting into this game and enjoying it a lot - very clever design and very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gil Winters wrote:
3 Things I'd like to see:

If you are looking for these in the 2ed, unfortunately they will not be there. The files have been submitted and the game is going to be printed. However, I'll address what I can here.

Quote:
1) A table with historical set ups for minor neutrals:
- Would be interesting to anyone wanting to know what historically happened.

This would not be as easy as it sounds, especially for minors that never entered the war. An army's area of operation could go far beyond what a USE counter occupies on the map. For example, in 1944 the Germans had three armies assigned to cover all of France. That simply would not work if the game translated that to the three counters with their historical ID. It's also difficult to research. Finding the locations of armies that were on the front line is relatively easy. Finding them for those that were not requires more research.

Quote:
- Would reduce the decisions/intimidation for newbies (e.g. 'I have no idea where to put these 4 Swedish units').

I don't know where to set them up either. Seriously, setting up the units of activated minors has much more to do with the current situation on the map than anything else. That's why historical setups may not be much help.

Most important is to assess where the immediate enemies are and then attempt to form a line (if possible) to prevent them from running amok in the country. Note that forming a line can mean using Faded Hexes as flank protection. For example, Scandinavia has many one-hex wide paths that a single unit is the line. If you can't form a full line and the enemy can run around your units, occupy your cities to defend them. If you have no enemies in reach, set up in such a way to minimize the time to move them to the front, assuming you can and not violate the Home Defense policy.

Quote:
2) More designer notes sprinkled throughout the rules (e.g.'Why does it costs the same number of RPs to mobilize a army as it does to fight it for 1 month?' or 'Why can the Factory Lost marker never go to 0?').

There is a little more of this and the Designer's Note section was expanded to include some of what I've talked about over the last few years.

To directly answer your questions.

Costs: It costs the same Production Points for simplicity. I intentionally tried to make some aspects easy on the brain and reduce look up. Have an infantry army? You know it's going to cost 1 PP to activate, replace, or mobilize. Moving on the map, you know it's going to cost 1 MP or 2 MP to move into a hex or +1 MP or +2 MP to cross a hexside or other special movement like a strait.

Factory Lost: The historical counterparts were always fighting strategic warfare in some form or another. That takes resources which are set at a minimum of one Factory Lost.

Quote:
3) A series replay of actual WWII campaigns (or of the entire war):

If you're talking about converting the historical events directly into a USE turn-by-turn, unit-by-unit, attack-by-attack replay, that would be very difficult and open to interpretation given the game's scale and mechanics.

If someone had the time, they could take an atlas focusing on the army/corps level and then line up the timing of campaigns and counters. Beyond that is open to interpretation. For example, for the launch of a major Russian offensive, one might be able to narrow down some starting assaults that included Heavy Artillery markers. But in France 1944, to decide which specific combat an ULTRA marker was used is open to the person doing the analysis. ULTRA was an ongoing thing and could have impacted multiple events over the course of a turn.

Quote:
- What does D-Day and the liberation of France look like? (What hexes are fought over, which are the Allies just moving through on their way to the new front? When are which event chits played?)

This one and the France 40 one you also mentioned are small enough that they could be done to some effect. However, I don't have the time so maybe a dedicated fan might want to try it. As for D-Day's hexes, they were 3010 and 3011.

Quote:
- When Hitler met Franco and failed to get anything of value, was that his diplomatic chit pull for that turn (a failure costing him 5 RPs)?

Yes.

Quote:
I've just been getting into this game and enjoying it a lot - very clever design and very fun.

Happy to hear that. I hope you keep enjoying it.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sal for the detailed response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.