10 Posts

Blood Bowl (2016 edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Play time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spain
msg tools
mbmb
I see BGG lists it as 45-120 minutes. What would you say it is? My main opponent is my wife and we go for shorter games due to a toddler about. I see it is broken into 2 halves of 8 turns. Is it possible to do a shorter number of turns or shorten the game? Or would that ruin the balance and such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Play time is also a concern of mine when getting into any new game, especially since this is a tabletop game and requires an extra investment of time with building and painting.

I've read the old rules that this game apparently uses, and it is suggested that players can, if they like, play hour long games (or any length of time you have) by simply timing each player's turn. Say you each have 4 mins to do everything each turn. At the end of that hour whoever has the most touchdowns wins. For friendly games I expect me and my group will be doing this fairly often, so that we can fit in games of X-Wing in the same evening.

Full length games will obviously give you the ultimate experience, but there doesn't seem to be any downside to tailoring the length to suit your time restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't shorten the game. I suggest looking into the 7 player rules for something quicker.

Or just play first half, write down the few details that have happened, and store it until you have time for second half.. Each could be done in an hour easily, when you know the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c0ntinuum wrote:
I see BGG lists it as 45-120 minutes. What would you say it is? My main opponent is my wife and we go for shorter games due to a toddler about. I see it is broken into 2 halves of 8 turns. Is it possible to do a shorter number of turns or shorten the game? Or would that ruin the balance and such?

Shortening the number of turns in a game is not advisable. You can however break the game into two halves. Play one half then take a break and do something else, then return about an hour later.

Note that this game really ahines in a season format with multiple teams; single games against the same opponent playing the same team all the time might become rather boring after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It depends on how you play. I ussually drink beer and have fun during the game (still played 3th edition a lot). It would take 2 hours a game but also because we just get drunk after a while. The second game even takes longer and we yell a lot and sing songs for our god Nuffle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blackburn
United Kingdom
Helston
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Play time is also a concern of mine when getting into any new game, especially since this is a tabletop game and requires an extra investment of time with building and painting.

I've read the old rules that this game apparently uses, and it is suggested that players can, if they like, play hour long games (or any length of time you have) by simply timing each player's turn. Say you each have 4 mins to do everything each turn. At the end of that hour whoever has the most touchdowns wins. For friendly games I expect me and my group will be doing this fairly often, so that we can fit in games of X-Wing in the same evening.

Full length games will obviously give you the ultimate experience, but there doesn't seem to be any downside to tailoring the length to suit your time restrictions.

the four minutes per turn is suggested in either the rulebook or the league rulebook(sold seperately)
In the computer version they have 3 minutes per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
4 minutes per turn is about 2 hours. In other words, even with a timer that some players find restrictive, the game can take 2 hours.

For new players I would budget 3 hours.

Once you are both very familiar with the game, 1 hour is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
For any new game, I double the higher time advertised as an estimate of my first few games. It has been a pretty good estimate across all sorts of games. If it takes less time, great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Denton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
I can die fighting. I imagine it's easier the second time around.
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like a pretty good rule of thumb. I am not one to be very thorough in my reading of the rules the first time through. Because of that, we take a little longer reviewing things as we go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just you wait.
badge
There's a million things I haven't done.
mb
Even with experienced players, getting a game under two hours means that the players must be pretty focused, or that the game goes quickly due to a lot of casualties or otherwise short turns.

To get a game below 90 minutes means you're actively working to play quickly, or the game is even more one-sided or goofy.

Short games can happen, but if you're playing a loose, beer-and-pretzel kind of game, or just learning, expect it to be over two hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.