Martians: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game worth keeping? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emanuel Almroth
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ive kickstarted this game and picked it up during Essen. But I've never played it, and right now I'm trying to choose which games from my collection I will get rid off. So is this game worth keeping and put effort into playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the effort to learn this game has been highly exaggerated. The rule book for this game isn't worse than for example the rules for Robinson Crusoe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Once you have it set up in front of you, it all makes sense and you probably won't even need the rulebook due to the iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
Once you have it set up in front of you, it all makes sense and you probably won't even need the rulebook due to the iconography.

Except for the iconography of the molecular sensor on your corporation card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emanuel,

The game appears quite immersive and the overall gameplay seems engaging.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farydia Pseudo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had great fun with the coop variant (and the rules aren't that much different in the other variants). I thought coop was best to learn the game, because you can learn together how everything intertwines and everyone could focus on a certain area.

I think the semi coop and competitive mode are quite unforgiving for a first play, but it's really not as complicated as some people make it out to be. It just rewards planning ahead and punishes not doing so quite severely, imo. That's quite alright for a strategy game and in that regard I find it similar to Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, though the latter I found even harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well everyone has th right to have an opinion...i bought the game at essen and tried to read the rules... which were unclear... tried to play it... some questions came like in all games but the amount of questions made the game not funny to play...

I decided to get rid of the game because of the Publisher attitude.... No Communication, No Updated Rule Book, Only an errata sheet that any BGG user can do...

I find it unfair for Robinson Crusoe to get compared to this game... The RC English Rules were Horrible thats true... but Portal rewrote the hole Rule Book in German and changed a lot of cards and last year they produced their own RC with an Updated English Rule book... Portal took into account the players feedback and corrected it... while Red Imp publisher has nearly zero communication....

So my Opinion: get rid of it... ( i liked the Martian Theme thought)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll simply circle-back to this thread, as someone who both served as one of the most vocal about the rules, and as someone who attempted, with help from the designer, in rectifying the situation. The FAQ is clean, and by my estimation, (yes, I'm biased ) should answer every question. I've only played through one Solo Mission thus far, but have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
christizzz wrote:
I find it unfair for Robinson Crusoe to get compared to this game... The RC English Rules were Horrible thats true... but Portal rewrote the hole Rule Book in German and changed a lot of cards and last year they produced their own RC with an Updated English Rule book... Portal took into account the players feedback and corrected it... while Red Imp publisher has nearly zero communication....
Yes, Robinson Crusoe gets a rewritten rule book four years after it's first release. Martians hasn't been out for four months yet. So that's hardly a fair comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if i am wrong but the german updated rules were available after a year... The english rules didnt get changed not because of the designer but because of ZMAN games .... now the new edition is realesed from Portal...

So if i am following you correctly, in a year or 4 the rules will be updated... so i would rather buy it in 4 years just like i did for RC...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.