Hide
6 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: Ma'at (revised) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Farina
msg tools
Hi guys, sorry I’ve been gone for a while, I got a little, very ill. But I’m back now ready for a second round of editing/playtesting/seeing what you guys think. I also added a variant power to each of the heroes because why not, it’s fun. I also want to be more conscientious of the forum and the way it works. I know last time, I wasn’t a big participator in other people’s posts so I’ll try to be more participatory this time around. I have every one of my decks retested/edited, but again, as a courtesy, I won’t post them all at once. I know that if I do, I will push everyone else’s posts way down which is kind of rude, so I’ll probably only post a couple every once in awhile. Anyway, here it goes:

Backstory: The basic backstory for each one of these heroes I have created is that they are all some kind of fan or are somehow connected to one of the heroes from the main game. For some, they became inspired when they were saved by such a hero, while others have simply always admired their respective hero. Thus, some cards may look similar to their respective hero's cards. However, each deck is entirely its own and is not meant to be a variant of a hero.This deck is the corresponding deck to Ra. In the same way that Ra got his powers, Ma'at stumbled upon the temple of Duat while excavating and became the goddess of laws and justice. All cards in her deck either have the keyword worthy or unworthy on them to symbolize whether they are worthy of the afterlife, or if they are unworthy and their heart should be devoured.

(Note: I'm not very good at naming things, so if anyone ever comes up with better names for any of my cards/heroes, I am all ears).

Ma'at
Hp 29

incapacitated powers
reveal the top card of a deck. Discard it or replace it.

one hero target may regain 1 hp

one hero target may deal 1 target 1 irreducible infernal damage

Core Power: Justice: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it has the keyword "worthy" on it, put it into play. If not, discard it.

Variant Power: Corruption: reveal the top three cards of your deck. Put any cards with the keyword “unworthy” into your hand. Remove the remaining revealed cards from the game.

Note: I will group cards by ongoing, equipment etc, but for your edification, there are 20 cards with the keyword worthy on them and 20 cards with the keyword unworthy on them, so it’s a 50/50 split.

Equipment (17 total)

X2 Book of Thoth (equipment, limited, worthy): Once per turn, when a card is revealed from the top of your deck, you may read the keyword on the card as worthy instead of unworthy or unworthy instead of worthy.

X3 Scale of Duat (equipment, judgement, limited, worthy): When revealing a card from the top of Ma'at's deck, you may first draw two cards, put the two cards drawn back on top of the deck in any order, and then continue to reveal a card.

X3 Feather of Duat (equipment,judgement, limited, worthy): Whenever a worthy card is revealed from the top of Ma'at's deck, Ma'at regains 1 hp.

X3 Heart of the Deceased (equipment, judgement limited, unworthy): Whenever an unworthy card is revealed from the top of Ma'at's deck, Ma'at deals 1 target 1 irreducible infernal damage.

X3 Potion of Life (equipment, limited, worthy): At the beginning of your turn, reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a worthy card, one target regains 2 hp. Discard the top card of a deck.

X3 potion of death (equipment, limited, unworthy): At the end of your turn, reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an unworthy card, Ma'at deals 1 target 2 infernal damage. Discard the top card of a deck.

One-shots (23 total):

X3 destroy order (one-shot, unworthy): destroy an environment card. Reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or replace it.

X2 Judge (one-shot, worthy): draw a card. reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a worthy card, 1 target may regain 2 hp. If it is an unworthy card, Ma'at deals 1 target 2 infernal damage.

X2 Judge (one-shot, unworthy): draw a card. reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a worthy card, 1 target may regain 2 hp. If it is an unworthy card, Ma'at deals 1 target 2 infernal damage.
Note: This is the same card Judge, but with the keyword unworthy instead of worthy. Several one-shots will be like this.

X2 Weighing of words (one-shot, worthy): search your deck for an equipment card with the keyword judgement. If you searched your deck, shuffle your deck. reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or replace it. You may play a card.

X2 Weighing of words (one-shot, unworthy): search your deck for an equipment card with the keyword judgement. If you searched your deck, shuffle your deck. reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or replace it. You may play a card.

X3 unholy ritual (one-shot, unworthy): Reveal cards from the top of your deck until an unworthy card is revealed. Ma'at Deals 1 target x infernal damage where x = the number of cards revealed that way. Put the revealed cards on top of the deck in any order. You may discard the top card of your deck.

X3 holy ritual (one-shot, worthy): each hero may choose 1 card from their trash other than holy ritual and put it in their hand or on the top of their deck.

X2 vengeance (one-shot, unworthy): Ma'at deals x targets 3 infernal damage where x = the number of unworthy cards in your trash. Ma'at regains y hp where y = the number of worthy cards in play.

X2 blood sacrifice (one-shot, unworthy): Ma'at deals herself 1 infernal damage and 1 target five infernal damage.

X2 Goat Sacrifice (one-shot, worthy): each hero target regains 2 hp. Each target regains 1 hp.

Thanks for reading, and as always, questions/comments are always appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
farinajosepha wrote:
X2 Thoth (limited, worthy, Hp 7): Once per turn, when a card is revealed from the top of your deck, you may change the keyword on the card from worthy to unworthy or unworthy to worthy.

I'm pretty sure this is to work with the cards looking for worthy and unworthy keywords, however I'm relly not sure about the wording. By a logical reading how do you change keywords?
Perhaps it would be better worded as "you may read the keyword worthy as unworthy and unworthy as worthy"

Quote:
X2 Weighing of words (one-shot, worthy): search your deck or trash for the scale of duat and put it in your hand. If you searched your deck, shuffle your deck. reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or replace it. You may play a card.

X2 Weighing of words (one-shot, worthy): search your deck or trash for the scale of duat and put it in your hand. If you searched your deck, shuffle your deck. reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or replace it. You may play a card.

Pretty sure one of these should have an unworthy keyword.

I could be wrong after only a quick look but these cards seem to do a lot of random stuff, but no big combos (like I said only a quick look so I might be wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Farina
msg tools
weighing of words is meant to be unworthy on one of them, you're right.

I've played her many times, and she's actually one of my favorites in my decks. It doesn't necessarily seem like it, but she has some very powerful combos. My one annoyance with her, which I am still trying to figure out how to fix, is she is pretty dependent with her combos on having the feather of dat and/or the heart of the deceased out because these two cards connect her whole deck together. The rest of her deck is about revealing cards/manipulating her deck so what she want is on the top, but it's only these two cards and her core power that really actually care about all those reveals (I guess potion of life/death also do as well, but not to as big of an extent).

My favorite is unholy ritual. If you have her equipment out (minus the two potions) and thoth out, you can manipulate her deck so that no unworthy cards appear. I once made it so that the eighth card was an unworthy card. With the feather out, it means I heal up to 7 hp. And then I did 8 infernal damage plus one more from heart of the deceased, and then you get to rearrange all those revealed cards on top of your deck in any order. This is an extreme case of her combos working together, but she can be very powerful with all her cards out.

As for the Thoth thing, you might be right, I was never entirely sure how to word that card.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Ooh, this one was my favourite!

If you're worried about the deck keying on the Heart/Feather, you could make weighing of words just search for an equipment rather than specifically the scales of Duat?

On that note, not sure how much I like the potions. Potion of life is okay if you are against someone who plays a lot of targets (for the reveals if nothing else), but awful against say Spite. That isn't the end of the world, you could just not play it, but worth bearing in mind. Potion of Death is less interesting - because the trigger happens SO often you're going to have triggers probably 3-4 times a round, so you're always gonna be able to kill anything with 3 or less HP at some point - but you're very often not gonna have something in that HP range, and which point it's doing nothing.

Thematically I get that the Potion of Life triggers on life and causes life, the potion of death triggers on death and causes death, but do you need the trigger and effect to BOTH be life/death? Could it just be a normal trigger like end of turn causing the effect which is life or death as appropriate? Maybe something like "At the end of your turn, reveal the top card of your deck. If it is worthy a target regains 2HP, then discard the revealed card."

It would also seem like they'd introduce repetition issues. Say I have the Potion of Death and Heart of the Deceased. Every time someone deals damage the trigger happens, I reveal and it's unworthy, deal damage, yay. However, I just replace the card, next players goes, deals damage, triggers, same card, deal damage, yay. Should the effect maybe reveal and discard to keep you looking at the same card over and over?

I get why Thoth is a target, but I generally dislike heroes having their own targets, it just makes them super vulnerable to AoE attacks. Plus Thoth is a God, he only has 7 HP? Maybe an ongoing called "Counsel of Thoth" or something that has the same effect?

Finally, dunno how the power level works out, but might be more fun if the innate is play if worthy, draw it if unworthy? You still want to have a worthy card, but it's less of a bummer if you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:

I get why Thoth is a target, but I generally dislike heroes having their own targets, it just makes them super vulnerable to AoE attacks. Plus Thoth is a God, he only has 7 HP? Maybe an ongoing called "Counsel of Thoth" or something that has the same effect?

Suggested name changes following Adelphophage's response. "Magi of Thoth" or "Priest/Priestess of Thoth". Or if you're willing to change the card to an equipment card it could be the "Book of Thoth". All follow the deck theme. Particularly the Book of Thoth which was supposed to contain all of the knowledge of the world and all the magic spells known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
I really enjoy the flavor of this hero. However I think some of the cards could use some more flavorful names (no offense). Some suggested name changes:

Destroy Order= Disorder, or the Power of Chaos
Goat Sacrifice=Offering to the Gods
Blood Sacrifice= Blood Magic

Just suggestions, take them or leave them; like I said really like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.