Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Went ahead and tried my hand at some customs, and they turned out pretty great! Play tested Coulson and Squirrel Girl last night, and really enjoyed them. Had to balance out one of the Coulson cards, so I'll need to reprint one of his commons, but I think they worked well. Some of the Coulson ideas were borrowed or modified from existing customs.

Let me know if you see any major issues, or have any suggestions! The cards were printed at printerstudio.com, so the colored borders are set to fit the printing template and will not appear on the final print.

(Spider-man and Iron Man posted for comparison purposes only.)

EDIT: Updated with changes discussed below.

Agent Phil Coulson:

Agent Peggy Carter:

Squirrel Girl:

I wanted Squirrel Girl to work without adding any new mechanics (ala Squirrel tokens, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your Squirrel Girl! I was disappointed when she showed in Secret Wars as a villain, instead of a playable character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Andrew, Squirrel Girl was in Civil War, not Secret Wars.

The card ideas seem pretty good. Coulson's rare card concept is unprecedented, and I imagine that's a good thing. One of his cards confuses me, however, in that I don't know what you mean by "Draw a SHIELD Officer." Do you mean you get an Officer in your hand, or does the card set assume you use those custom Officer decks that at least one poster here made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Technically the "Maria Hill" cards in the base game are called "SHIELD Officers". So, you basically get to add a Maria Hill to your pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And thanks, Andrew! My wife is a huge Squirrel Girl fan, as am I, and I wanted something that fit her unique style without requiring additional mechanics like some of the other customs. We used her last night, and it was fun balancing between the extra card and the extra recruit bonuses on her commons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at a lot of the language on the cards and compare them to cards that exist. For example:

SHIELD Backup: Most cards would tell you to draw those cards, not "move them to your hand."

TAHITI Protocol: Revive isn't really a thing, unless you want to make it a keyword, better to say "Gain a Hero from the KO pile".

The Man With the Plan: I believe Legendary uses the term "activate" not "trigger".

"A Woman's Touch" - Not really sure what this card means...

I Know My Worth - Again, you would want to use the word "Gain". That means put it in your discard pile. If you want it to go to your hand the card would have to say that as well. Also Versatile 3 for 4 cost would be too strong IMO.

Eat's Nuts, Kicks Butts - You don't really use a card to defeat a villain (unless that card actually lets you too) but rather you spend attack out of your KO pool. Maybe I don't understand what this card is supposed to do.

Suit of Squirrel Armor - Again you wouldn't really be using that card to defeat a villain. Maybe it should say "The first time (or each time) you defeat a Villain this turn you get +1 recruit."

I'm not trying to be critical, and I think I understand what most of the cards are trying to do, it's just that the language is not consistent with the rest of the game. Hopefully this helps in any future cards you are looking to make.

Even if you feel the idea that you are using is novel to the game, you should still take a look at the cards that have already been printed to get a better idea of how to term things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed, and I posted them in order to get feedback to refine the balance of the cards and catch terminology I didn't think to use. So thank you, and no offense taken!

In fact, I hadn't seen a "Versatile" card prior to creating these initially, so I went back and modified the card to say Versatile instead of choose either +2 Attack or +2 Recruit.

I considered the cards I've already printed to be test versions, and these are merely version 2. My hope is to catch any major issues, adjust the artwork, and do a reprint to have "final" playable versions.

So, thanks for the input, and appreciate any suggestions to go with my comments/questions below!

In regards to your specific notes:
Quote:
SHIELD Backup: Most cards would tell you to draw those cards, not "move them to your hand."

Yes. It should read "Draw". Originally the card said to draw 5 cards and had a recruit value of 3, which made it way overpowered. So, I will also be making that term change.

Quote:
TAHITI Protocol: Revive isn't really a thing, unless you want to make it a keyword, better to say "Gain a Hero from the KO pile".

I chose "Revive" in order to go with the theme of the card, but keeping the terminology consistent might be better, since my goal has been to avoid adding new mechanics to the game.

Quote:
The Man With the Plan: I believe Legendary uses the term "activate" not "trigger".

Agreed. I think this is one I borrowed from an existing Coulson custom. But it should be "activate".

Quote:
"A Woman's Touch" - Not really sure what this card means...

The goal of this card is to provide an attack bonus when you draw a villain with an ambush effect. For example, Green Goblin takes a bystander as his ambush when he is drawn. So, with the Carter theme, she basically reacts and deals +2 damage to the villain who was just drawn. (But only on the chance that they have Ambush text.) Does that make sense? That's one that I'm sure can use some text revision to get to what I'm after, and I might be forgetting a term already in existence to use.

Quote:
I Know My Worth - Again, you would want to use the word "Gain". That means put it in your discard pile. If you want it to go to your hand the card would have to say that as well. Also Versatile 3 for 4 cost would be too strong IMO.

Agreed on Gain. Of the three, the Carter cards are in the roughest draft form, so I definitely needed input on the balance. Versatile 2 sound better?

Quote:
Eat's Nuts, Kicks Butts - You don't really use a card to defeat a villain (unless that card actually lets you too) but rather you spend attack out of your KO pool. Maybe I don't understand what this card is supposed to do.

This one it does actually matter that it says if this was the LAST card used to defeat (KO?) a villain, since the order you play the cards can matter. It might restrict you from using the card in that case to activate another card's ability, since it has to come last in the order. Not sure how all I might need to reword that to get to the most concise format, but that's what the goal was.

Quote:
Suit of Squirrel Armor - Again you wouldn't really be using that card to defeat a villain. Maybe it should say "The first time (or each time) you defeat a Villain this turn you get +1 recruit."

I did realize the redundancy of "defeating a villain", since any attack is technically used to defeat a villain, so that will need to be refined. But I wanted to clarify that her attack needed to be used in taking down a villain in order to activate the extra card - i.e. taking out a Villain with a value of 8 using 10 attack points in your KO pool, her 2 attack might not be utilized. Perhaps it would just be easier to have that skill activate by means of another card instead. (Don't want it to get too confusing or complicated.)

Again, I appreciate your time and input, these are some of my favorite characters, so I want to do them justice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D C
Canada
flag msg tools
Dwiser1 wrote:
"A Woman's Touch" - Not really sure what this card means... -- The goal of this card is to provide an attack bonus when you draw a villain with an ambush effect. For example, Green Goblin takes a bystander as his ambush when he is drawn. So, with the Carter theme, she basically reacts and deals +2 damage to the villain who was just drawn. (But only on the chance that they have Ambush text.)

Since you never directly attack villains with cards (you gain the attack and then spend the attack from your pool), I guess here the question is what effect are you looking for, feels like you have two choices:
1- The simplest: you gain +2 attack which can then be spent as you so desire.
2- She reacts to the villain and inflicts a -2 Att on it, which brings down its attack value as opposed to gaining some attack.

The main difference here between the 2 options is that in case #1, you can do whatever you want with your gained attack (you could use it to attack any other villain or mastermind for instance). In option 2, you don't really gain attack as per the rules but instead decrease the attack value of a precise villain, making it weaker, possibly defeating it outright if it comes down to zero. If it's option 2 for which you are going for, I'd also suggest some form of end time for the effect. For instance, you can decide whether the -2 is applied for your turn only (so only the current player benefits from it), until your next turn (so all other players can benefit from it) or for the whole game.

Dwiser1 wrote:
Eat's Nuts, Kicks Butts - You don't really use a card to defeat a villain (unless that card actually lets you too) but rather you spend attack out of your KO pool. Maybe I don't understand what this card is supposed to do. -- This one it does actually matter that it says if this was the LAST card used to defeat (KO?) a villain, since the order you play the cards can matter. It might restrict you from using the card in that case to activate another card's ability, since it has to come last in the order. Not sure how all I might need to reword that to get to the most concise format, but that's what the goal was.

If it's only a question of making sure the card doesn't trigger any other power, then you could simply have a limitation on the card, something like: Must be played last. Or: After playing this card, discard all your other cards. Or again, if its precise power triggers that you don't want to trigger, say so outright: This card cannot activate power triggers. Or simply remove the Instinct power on it, make it power-less. Or, since its a common card, you could tie in a disadvantage to not playing it last, something like : If not played last, gain a wound.

Dwiser1 wrote:

Suit of Squirrel Armor - Again you wouldn't really be using that card to defeat a villain. Maybe it should say "The first time (or each time) you defeat a Villain this turn you get +1 recruit." -- I did realize the redundancy of "defeating a villain", since any attack is technically used to defeat a villain, so that will need to be refined. But I wanted to clarify that her attack needed to be used in taking down a villain in order to activate the extra card - i.e. taking out a Villain with a value of 8 using 10 attack points in your KO pool, her 2 attack might not be utilized. Perhaps it would just be easier to have that skill activate by means of another card instead. (Don't want it to get too confusing or complicated.)

I think it wouldn't hurt the thematic of your card if you were to change it to either of the two previous suggestions. That being said, if you really want to keep that mechanic maybe you simply need to make it a bit more explicit, with something like this: "Play this card by placing it over a villain in the city. If you defeat that villain on your turn, you gain +1 recruit. Discard this card when your turn is over." It allows you to "mark" your intended target and not break the attack mecanics of the game and keep your intended effect. I would even consider forgoing the attack value on the card and increase the recruit bonus, so if the target is defeated (yes with the help of other cards), gain +3 recruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since you never directly attack villains with cards (you gain the attack and then spend the attack from your pool), I guess here the question is what effect are you looking for, feels like you have two choices:
1- The simplest: you gain +2 attack which can then be spent as you so desire.
2- She reacts to the villain and inflicts a -2 Att on it, which brings down its attack value as opposed to gaining some attack.

I think it makes the most sense to do the -2 Att on your turn, in response to drawing a Villain with an Ambush text. So, maybe something like:
"If the Villain drawn this turn has an Ambush effect, it has -2 Att for the remainder of your turn."
(I definitely welcome suggestions on rewording that to be the most concise and fitting to existing terminology.)

Quote:
If it's only a question of making sure the card doesn't trigger any other power, then you could simply have a limitation on the card, something like: Must be played last. Or: After playing this card, discard all your other cards. Or again, if its precise power triggers that you don't want to trigger, say so outright: This card cannot activate power triggers. Or simply remove the Instinct power on it, make it power-less. Or, since its a common card, you could tie in a disadvantage to not playing it last, something like : If not played last, gain a wound.

Hmmm. Still have to ponder this one. I like that using the card last is optional, so it still has the ability to activate other cards, but you sacrifice the bonus.

Quote:
I think it wouldn't hurt the thematic of your card if you were to change it to either of the two previous suggestions. That being said, if you really want to keep that mechanic maybe you simply need to make it a bit more explicit, with something like this: "Play this card by placing it over a villain in the city. If you defeat that villain on your turn, you gain +1 recruit. Discard this card when your turn is over." It allows you to "mark" your intended target and not break the attack mecanics of the game and keep your intended effect. I would even consider forgoing the attack value on the card and increase the recruit bonus, so if the target is defeated (yes with the help of other cards), gain +3 recruit.

I like her still having some attack, since the card is her wearing a suit of squirrel armor and knocking out a thug. In the comic I believe she's stopping a bank robbery, so maybe to simplify it could retain the 2 attack, and simply say "If defeating a Villain in the Bank, +2 Recruit." (Again, wording suggestions accepted.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks RangerRob24!

Posted updated versions of a couple of the cards. Fixed the wording of a few to align with existing terminology (still open to other wording suggestions), and tweaked the balance a little on a few of them to compensate for what are pretty hefty bonuses - for example:
Coulson's Uncommon - Bringing a Hero back from the dead (KO pile) should cost more than an Uncommon, especially since it could result in drafting a Rare version of a hero. So, raised it to a Focus 8 instead of 6. (Especially since he adds 3 Recruit to begin with.)
Coulson's Rare - The fact that he activates all Superhero Abilities is kind of enough without having an attack value as well.
Carter's Uncommon - raised her cost to 5 to compensate for the Versatility 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.