GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,905 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Risk Europe» Forums » General

Subject: What are your experiences with turtling and balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
This game recently appeared on my radar based on the glowing reviews.

However the number of reviews is quite small so I don't want to jump the gun. There is at least one less than stellar review which has me hold off until I know a little more:

First off, the reviewer claimed there can be a tendency for players to turtle and buy victory points instead of attacking.

Secondly, he claimed one faction has a much better starting position.

What are your experiences with these two issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MY OPINION after ONLY five games:

TURTLING
Yes, you can turtle, but...
- There's a good chance you won't have a direct input to the game flow
- The other players will DICTATE the outcome of the game
- What the hell kind of fun is that?!? I wouldn't play with such folk

STARTING POSITIONS
- They're not pre-set, so you have a good chance
- Think ahead during set-up and army distribution
- Also think about the first two card actions you'll be playing

Notice all the good reviews given... don't let the very few dissuade you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
MadTiest wrote:
there can be a tendency for players to turtle and buy victory points instead of attacking.

I do recommend playing the advanced game where you can't just buy VP, but have to earn it.

However, even if you allow VP purchasing, turtling isn't a very effective way to take advantage of it. Buying VP requires money, and the best way to ramp up your income is to have large swaths of territory. That requires expansion, which is the opposite of turtling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, play the advanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies.

I did not know there was a difference between basic and advanced rules. I did watch the instructional video but the rules aren't online unfortunately. It's good to know purchasing VP can be turned off.

After re-watching the video it does appear that starting positions are indeed not pre-set but chosen. If there is one best position then the bidding process will probably balance this I suppose.

I think I'll go out and get the game soon. I really want a dudes on a map game with a real world map but there are surprisingly few available. Games like Blood Rage and Kemet are great but have fantasy themes. While Imperial doesn't fit the bill completely, and Spheres of Influence has limited availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Most turtles I have seen have pretty good balance....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the cities that offer tax benefits are the strongest. If a player can secure Madrid and Paris they are well on the way for a win. However, nothing is a dead cert in this game. Constantinople can offer ways for a sneaky win as there are a lot of cities within easy reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.