Subject: World Championship Tournament Report 2016 -- Finalist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Morgan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
https://github.com/wmorganjr/epic/blob/master/articles/world...

Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wmorgan wrote:

I stayed up all night (I live in the UK) watching your game, and I was rooting for you. Edge of my seat in constructed game 1, then devastated for you when I saw 2 x Final Task vanish after the first Mist Guide Herald. Thank you for this writeup! I learned a lot about the game. I agree with you completely that the danger isn't Kark, but the trifecta of Ceasefire / Blind Faith / Fumble. And also that one of the strongest counters is champions which endanger your opponent without attacking, most of all Necro Lord (well, or Time Master, come promo legality, but that's a whole 'nother card game).

It seems like there must be some way of solving the 3-way defensive puzzle with breakthrough - possibly some combination of innate + applied (after a Blind Faith) - and wide tokens, but I can't quite see how to make it work. If not solving, at least of putting the guessing game on the defender, since like you said in your interview after the match, the defense is so strong because the attacker has to guess.

Also thanks to you, I now understand more how to play with & against Ancient Chant. The key that was escaping me is that Ancient Chant draws 3 cards, not 2. Two now, one later. So actually, the Lessons Learned / Ancient Chant thing is nothing special. It's Ancient Chant A for 2 now, then later, Ancient Chant A later for 1, Ancient Chant B for 2 now and the 1 later right away as well. Each sage gold buys you 3 cards, it just moves around when you get them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article!
Very well played sir, congratulations for the second place!

Just by watching the stream I could learn a lot about the game, it was mind-blowing.

I'm not sure about the counter options against the defending cards.
In one of your games it was devastating to see that the final tasked Pluckers had to go back into the discard pile because of Ceasefire. I don't know how much Kalnor's Blessing could help you.

I have a gut instinct about a dinosaur deck with burn support, but I didn't have a chance yet to test it against Kark.
I can't wait for the digital app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article! I really enjoyed it. I loved watching the Twitch, I was there with you trying to figure out if you could beat Kark. You certainly made it interesting, and those games would not have been half as close if I was playing them. It was very exciting. I hope you keep writing more stuff and good luck in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hebert
msg tools
Good write up and run down of your thought process throughout. It's nice to see how you approached every step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
The idea of the deck came to us when we were testing Josiah Fiscus' Sage-Evil control vs. the Roanoke Sage-Wild tempo. In that matchup, both decks were just trying to play Thought Plucker and Knight of Shadows as often as possible...

The list is fairly obvious, and the fundamental plan is the same as Josiah Fiscus' deck, which had been public for a month before the tournament. I expected the field to have prepared for the matchup, and to possibly be playing similar decks.

Will, your play was excellent. All the more impressive when you consider your lack of real-life opponents. If you were really unprepared to face Kark, it certainly didn't show.

Thanks for the shout-outs here. I was very disappointed in how this deck performed for me at Worlds when it was so strong prior. But the changes you made (Zannos, Mist Guide Herald, the Wild Splash, cutting Apocalypse) were really excellent. Conversely, the changes I made (such as cutting Gudgeons for Winged Death) only served to WEAKEN the deck against the Kark matchup, and it showed in my constructed results. Very impressed with both your play and your deckbuilding prowess. My only suggestions would be that I think Consume is an upgrade over Unquenchable Thirst in this deck and I also think you need more than 1 Zannos.

Congratulations on your $10,000 victory. Hopefully we get to play each other sometime in this new upcoming season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.