12 Posts

Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » General

Subject: Noob alert -CCG's and couples? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I am intrigued with the simplicity and yet elegant style Destiny will bring..Not to mention it's easy set up and fast pace.

The rub.. having no experience with this style of gaming how would Destiny work for my wife and myself?
I almost exclusively board gaming with her and occasionally our son. It seems part of the beauty is this style is the building and facing off with random folks builds.

I suppose I'd be just collecting pertinent components as I see fit and maybe allow for some random selection of sides ect ?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Not sure what you mean?

Being a CCG, you buy boosters/ starters/ booster boxes/ singles and build decks. Then if you have 2 decks you and your wife can play. Or 3 decks and you can free for all? Though FFA in this format would be pretty horrible. Youd want at least 2v2 if you want to play multi player

For most CCGs you buy the starters, then a few boxes of boosters to get going. Boxes are 36 packs of 5 random cards and 1 dice. they run about 85$

If your trying to get it all, a good bet is buying about 3 boxes, then buying the singles or trading for what you need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I think this game is very enjoyable even without a lot of investment. My wife and I only have 1 of each starter and 0 boosters and we have played this game a ton over the last week. I say dive in and only buy more if you like it and when it starts to get stale. You both will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Acc1dent wrote:
I think this game is very enjoyable even without a lot of investment. My wife and I only have 1 of each starter and 0 boosters and we have played this game a ton over the last week. I say dive in and only buy more if you like it and when it starts to get stale. You both will love it.

Thanks guys...yes that's what I wondered. Wasn't exactly sure if it would work for just the two of us.
But certainly sounds fun to me !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Starter v starter play is fine.

Just be aware that the Rey/Finn deck comprises more character points worth of dice at the start of the game and some people feel that gives the hero deck a significant advantage.

Also, the starters are only 20-card decks, so decking wins are a bigger possibility and the gameplay will feel slightly different in that respect.

Finally, a couple of boosters won't necessary open up many deckbuilding options. We bought an additional 12 boosters for our two starters and that allowed us to bulk of both decks to 30 cards, but didn't really enable us to radically change our decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Michael..we'll start with the starter and most likely eventually grow to 30 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
QUEEN CREEK
United States
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
Thanks Michael..we'll start with the starter and most likely eventually grow to 30 cards.

FWIW - The DiceTower crew recommended the same thing as DreadFool said: maybe buy 10-12 booster packs. That's what I've got on order. Hoping to mostly play this with my kids, so not going full tilt on boosters (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frahminator wrote:
Floridawalt wrote:

FWIW - The DiceTower crew recommended the same thing as DreadFool said: maybe buy 10-12 booster packs. That's what I've got on order. Hoping to mostly play this with my kids, so not going full tilt on boosters (yet).

You'll have to buy more than that. I got both starters and 12 boosters at a launch event, and I can juuuuuust about get 2 decent decks from that, one Hero and one Villain. But this all depends on what cards you get - I got lucky and they all sloted in pretty nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
QUEEN CREEK
United States
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmb
HarlockHero wrote:

You'll have to buy more than that. I got both starters and 12 boosters at a launch event, and I can juuuuuust about get 2 decent decks from that, one Hero and one Villain. But this all depends on what cards you get - I got lucky and they all sloted in pretty nicely.

I assume so as well, just was relaying what I had heard. I will start with that amount, but suspect it will be a fairly common occurrence to start picking up boosters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlockHero wrote:
[q="frahminator"]

If this is true, then that kinda sucks. You shouldn't have to invest $66 in a game to only get two decent decks if you're lucky.

But you could also be pickier about decks than me. I don't want to win any tournaments, I just want to play the game and see what it has to offer. So I will take your advice with a grain of sand - from Tatooine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
HarlockHero wrote:
[q="frahminator"]

If this is true, then that kinda sucks. You shouldn't have to invest $66 in a game to only get two decent decks if you're lucky.

But you could also be pickier about decks than me. I don't want to win any tournaments, I just want to play the game and see what it has to offer. So I will take your advice with a grain of sand - from Tatooine.

Yeah it sucks. I'm new to collectible games as well and I've been very apprehensive about getting in to it. But, the game is just so fun. But I've also accepted the fact that I will have to buy a box of boosters to have decent options of cards.

I'm not particularly picky about cards in decks. But since there are 3 different variables (hero/villain/neutral, red/yellow/blue, max 2 of any card in a deck), actually getting cards can be tricky. What I got was a Millenium Falcon that slotted nicely into the Rey/Finn deck, along with some neutral yellow events (no hero yellow events), and a second TIE/SF Fighter for the Villain deck. Also some smatterings of events and supports that fit the blue/red Villain deck and the blue/yellow Hero deck.

I got loads of characters (Qui-Gon, Poe, Ackbar, Jango, Padawan, Mercenary), but without the right event cards and with only one die each they're not really options I can use now with just my 12 boosters. I'll have to get more. Destiny will not be a cheap game if you want to have some variety - I guess that's how collectible games work. You just have to decide where you draw the line for yourself, but what I've described has been my experience so far with 12 boosters and both starters.

(my urge to get more boosters cannot be contained - I really like this game )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Steinke
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I went to a release party and each grabbed a starter set, I got dark and she light, and each six packs. It was enough to round out our decks and enough to play around with the characters a little, though we did get lucky with our draws.

My wife was hesitant to go but turns out she absolutely loves opening the packs. The mystery and the hope. Seeing what's there.

Recently we picked up a box of boosters. I might pick up one or two more as it goes on, but it's looking like that's about all we need.

As for want, we're looking at getting a second starter set each just for deck building options.

This game isn't for everyone, but my wife and I are having a blast. We haven't played a multiplayer free-for-all yet but I've seen it done with three people and it looks to work great. If you each get a set you all can play. Don't worry about villain against villain or hero vs hero. It's all good family fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.