9 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Melee Fighter (137A) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
conanioni Su
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to appendix, "Each time you take a “Raiding” or “Pillaging” action (on an action space or via an EACH TIME Fighter occupation), you can use spears instead of long swords."

My question is, can I combine long swords and spears? The wording here is kind of ambiguous to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a fair question. I would personally interpret it as "You can mixed spears and swords because your fighter is good at melee combat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conan79124 wrote:
According to appendix, "Each time you take a “Raiding” or “Pillaging” action (on an action space or via an EACH TIME Fighter occupation), you can use spears instead of long swords."

My question is, can I combine long swords and spears? The wording here is kind of ambiguous to me.

I would interpret it to mean you can use a combination of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conanioni Su
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
It's a fair question. I would personally interpret it as "You can mixed spears and swords because your fighter is good at melee combat".

Sounds fair,
it is a melee fighter, I love this thematic interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

More logically, you have multiple fighters on your boat, each wielding either a sword or a spear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hrm. If we're talking thematically, why does a card called 'melee fighter' allow you to use spears - isn't it melee combat to use swords? If anything, spears tend to be used at a distance ('reach') and are less melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
ecm85 wrote:
Hrm. If we're talking thematically, why does a card called 'melee fighter' allow you to use spears - isn't it melee combat to use swords? If anything, spears tend to be used at a distance ('reach') and are less melee.

Could be how it was translated. I wonder what the original German name is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, you do not have to throw a spear. You can just poke someone with it. So perfectly fine to use it as a melee weapon.

Of course you can mix swords and spears with that occupation. The German appendix says you can use spears the same way you use longswords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
conan79124 wrote:

My question is, can I combine long swords and spears?

Yes, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.