GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,400 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: movement "bug"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
mbmbmbmbmb
let's suppose I spend some actions to place 1 ship on every sector of the routes conducting to external planets of my empire.

Reading rules, no impulse or warp enemy movement could pass these lonely ships. It needs 2 actions for an enemy to pass a single ship of mine: move+attack.
This will slow so much their attack to my empire and i could win by gaining Ascendancy tokens, meanwhile (maybe o apply thi stactic when i prooduce more culture than other players...I need just one more).
But overall, it seems a bit weird and unthematic.

Shouldn't be better if only hostile fleets and planets+ships could block warp movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Once a ship or fleet is adjacent to the first ship in your blockade chain, it would only take attack commands to battle them. Remember, the winner of a space battle gets a free "tactical move" (basically an impulse move) that they could use to move adjacent to the next ship in the blockade.

Also, consider that it takes lots of your own precious commands to set up such a blockade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got right, but even with tactical move, it takes him as many actions (attacks) as I used to move.
However, just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Trust me, you would not want to rule that only fleets can block movement. You can only have three fleets max, and you have to have three ascendancy tokens to have thst many. Remember, your number of commissioned fleets cannot exceed your ascendancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait not only fleets, but also planets+ship could block movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agzaroth wrote:
Wait not only fleets, but also planets+ship could block movement.

It kinda sounds like you haven't played yet. Once you do, I think you'll find that the rules as written work just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting up such a defense has huge opportunity costs for questionable gain. You end up diverting resources and Commands from research and colonization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
And this doesn't work well against Romualns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. It will always take at least as many commands to set up this blockade as it does to get through it, and usually will require a few times as many, if you don't have an *ideal* choke point. So you're not really gaining anything with this strategy, except perhaps the ability to delay a homeworld invasion by a round or two later in the game.

2. You cannot secretly or quickly set up such a blockade. All players will see you doing it, and can pre-emptively dismantle it if they feel it may be necessary.

3. Romulans have Advanced Cloaking Technology, which allows them to utterly bypass such a blockade.

The only time when this blockade strategy is worthwhile is if you are on the verge of an Ascendancy victory, and you just need to delay your rivals from reaching your homeworld. In that case, it *might* be a sound defensive strategy, depending on a lot of circumstances. Absolutely not worth introducing any house rules to disallow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
See it like this. If you were going through space you could easily go past planets and stations as they are fixed and cannot move to intercept you. But any spaceship would be able to intercept you if you go through there sector unless you were far to fast for any one else but this is star trek so you are not ????.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.