Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Help me pledge: Cost vs Value of current base pledge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

Sorry if I can't read the tons of comments already posted, but I have a few questions to help me determine the cost vs value of this game. I'm deciding between Base or Base + Gambler.

1) How many miniatures do I get in:
-Base (Yes, I know the phoenix is worth many minis)
-Gambler

I already know it has a lot of replayability, but there are some issues that concern me:

-Grom was seen as a must have addon. I can't afford more addons and I would get bored of fighting the Lion all the time.

2) Why did it cost $100 and now $250?
I know that the $100 was a good value. But $150 difference?

3) It looks like we get many sets of armors but only one set of survivors. For me that counts as only one set of survivors, as I don't have the intention to keep changing the minis once they are assembled.

4) I know the minis have good detail and all. I know the game has high quality content. Personally i absolutely hate that cards come in so many different sizes. Almost makes me want to just get TTS.

5) Is gambler really worth the extra $100?

Please use the perspective of a budget newcomer. Cool if you can afford $1000+ but that doesn't concern this questions. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Base game info is readily available everywhere so I'm not going to rehash that. Gambler is an unknown.

2. He lost money at $100 because he wasn't expecting the game to contain so much stuff. It retails for $400 which is much more in line with what it should cost, so it isn't an increase of $150, it's really a discount of $150. I bought it from ebay for $700 which included a few expansions and do not regret the purchase at all.

3. The armor sets ARE survivors. You can customize it as much or as little as you want. You don't need to assemble anything other than the 4 starting survivors, though, as you'll only be playing with 4 at a time anyways, unless you play the 5 or 6 player variant, which isn't recommended.

4. Doesn't sound like a question.

5. The way Poots works, the gambler will be worth much more than $100 by the time he's done.

If budget is your primary concern, go elsewhere. I'm not trying to be snarky with that response, it's just true. This is an expensive game and if it hooks you like it did many of its players, it gets even more expensive as you collect everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Curtz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Arah wrote:
Hello.

Sorry if I can't read the tons of comments already posted, but I have a few questions to help me determine the cost vs value of this game. I'm deciding between Base or Base + Gambler.

1) How many miniatures do I get in:
-Base (Yes, I know the phoenix is worth many minis)
-Gambler

The core game has 8 monsters (including the new Gold Smoke Knight) and 32 survivors. - https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/sold-out/products/...

We don't know what miniatures, if any, will be in the Gambler's Box.

Arah wrote:

2) Why did it cost $100 and now $250?
I know that the $100 was a good value. But $150 difference?

Adam kept adding content into the game after the first Kickstarter, prices, shipping, etc. have all gone up in the last 5 years, and he's aiming to make a profit this time.

Arah wrote:

3) It looks like we get many sets of armors but only one set of survivors. For me that counts as only one set of survivors, as I don't have the intention to keep changing the minis once they are assembled.

The Armor Sets are used to build additional complete survivors, they aren't just bits you add to the original 4.

Arah wrote:

5) Is gambler really worth the extra $100?

We don't know yet, but I'm betting yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you kidding us?
Read before you write!
At least those threads and KS page.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1678957/includes-update-4-1...

+

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1679268/kdm-15-pledge-help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
1) 42 in the Core, all pictured on the KS page (apart from the recently added "Gold Smoke Knight" who is shown in an update). Gambler is not currently known (contents of the Gambler will be announced over the course of the campaign; everything is already unlocked).

2) It cost $400 retail. The creator ending up using much higher quality molds than expected, which increased both the cost and quality of the miniatures, and some of the stretch goals from the first KS added a lot of cost (it was original designed for a Catan-sized box. Now it is an insane-sized box).

3) All the armor kits can be built into separate survivors.

4) This isn't a question. The cards are a bit annoying (especially for sleevers), but it's not the first game to use weird card sizes, and it won't be the last.

5) You'll be able to decide for yourself come the end of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Arah wrote:
Hello.

Sorry if I can't read...

If you can't read the game will be hard to play for you. There is a lot of reading involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As someone who's backing this for the first time and never seen the game in person...

1) There's a listing of contents on the kickstarter page. I count 7 monsters + 8 sets of 4 survivors + 2 mystery miniatures, of which one will be the final boss. The FAQ states 8 monsters + 43 survivors. I'm not sure where they're getting those extra survivors from.
No clue on the Gambler. Information about it will probably be released like an advent calendar.

2) $100 was a massive underestimation of the production cost and probably represents a loss for the producer. From what I remember hearing, they couldn't even finish production to satisfy the kickstarter pledges until many more copies were sold at $300. Remember that the price at retail was $400.

3) Each armor set comes with survivors. You're not likely to be able to change the minis because you have to glue them in. I've read something about someone using magnets... how do those work?

4) That's not a question?

5) Who knows? I jumped on the gambler a little bit early when I saw slots opening up and I'm regretting it slightly, because now I can't back out of the commitment. Mainly because there's been some comments going about that says it'll eventually be available in pledge manager, so I could have just waited at the lower slot level. For you, just wait until the end of the campaign and decide then, once more information is revealed.

6) Note that you can get many more games for the cost of KD:M. If you're looking for pure gaming value for your money, you may want to look elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
memetichazard wrote:
As someone who's backing this for the first time and never seen the game in person...

1) There's a listing of contents on the kickstarter page. I count 7 monsters + 8 sets of 4 survivors + 2 mystery miniatures, of which one will be the final boss. The FAQ states 8 monsters + 43 survivors. I'm not sure where they're getting those extra survivors from.
No clue on the Gambler. Information about it will probably be released like an advent calendar.

2) $100 was a massive underestimation of the production cost and probably represents a loss for the producer. From what I remember hearing, they couldn't even finish production to satisfy the kickstarter pledges until many more copies were sold at $300. Remember that the price at retail was $400.

3) Each armor set comes with survivors. You're not likely to be able to change the minis because you have to glue them in. I've read something about someone using magnets... how do those work?

5) Who knows? I jumped on the gambler a little bit early when I saw slots opening up and I'm regretting it slightly, because now I can't back out of the commitment. Mainly because there's been some comments going about that says it'll eventually be available in pledge manager, so I could have just waited at the lower slot level. For you, just wait until the end of the campaign and decide then, once more information is revealed.

6) Note that you can get many more games for the cost of KD:M. If you're looking for pure gaming value for your money, you may want to look elsewhere.

the base game also includes 2 intimacy survivors which are seperate from the normal survviors, these are the mystery miniatures, final boss isnt one of em.

additionally more content for 1.5 is yet to be revealed, i expect to see some oxidised armour sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
memetichazard wrote:

1) This was an error and has been fixed. 43 is the number of total miniatures so far (8 Monsters and 35 Survivors)

2) That's correct

3) Every Armor set in the base game gives you enough parts to build 4 to 5 survivors. If you don't magnetize, you won't be able to build every possible combination.
Most players just build the armor sets they use the most, or they "capture" some epic moments, and build a survivor of it.
Also you mostly want to build complete sets. If you build a male and a female of each set, you mostly got it. Then you can take the rest to build mixed armor sets.

4) No it's not.

5) You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to you.

6) That's right. But imo quality > quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
3. The armor sets ARE survivors. You can customize it as much or as little as you want. You don't need to assemble anything other than the 4 starting survivors, though, as you'll only be playing with 4 at a time anyways, unless you play the 5 or 6 player variant, which isn't recommended.
5. The way Poots works, the gambler will be worth much more than $100 by the time he's done.
If budget is your primary concern, go elsewhere. I'm not trying to be snarky with that response, it's just true. This is an expensive game and if it hooks you like it did many of its players, it gets even more expensive as you collect everything.

Thanks, for some reason I thought they didn’t include survivors. About your elitist attitude, I can afford the base game. I explicitly mentioned I didn’t have $1000+ to burn, but I may afford the base. I don’t need nor want to collect everything, that is why I asked to answer from the perspective of someone who could afford the minimum.

C3Gaming wrote:
1) 42 in the Core, all pictured on the KS page (apart from the recently added "Gold Smoke Knight" who is shown in an update). Gambler is not currently known (contents of the Gambler will be announced over the course of the campaign; everything is already unlocked).
3) All the armor kits can be built into separate survivors.

Ok, I was thinking it was a little bit too high to ask 250 for what I thought was ~20 minis. 42 makes more sense.

Styfen wrote:
Please, for the sake of the forum ask questions like this in the following thread. It's getting to be a nightmare for those of us who have the game already.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1679203/kingdom-death-m...
Answers to at least some of your questions are already there.

I did read that, but a FAQ format doesn’t answer my specific request.

kurczaczekx wrote:

I am not kidding. I have other things to do that require deadlines and decisions about investing my money, which is why I ask for help into some information I didn’t know. And I actually did stumble upon those, which doesn’t answer my questions (they just detail what you get for the more expensive pledges and the other is whether the expansions or other addons have value. I don’t care about addons other than maybe the gambler since i managed to get a discounted spot, that i can always back out of).

kurczaczekx wrote:
Arah wrote:
Hello.
Sorry if I can't read...

If you can't read the game will be hard to play for you. There is a lot of reading involved.

I can read. A lot. I don’t have the time to specifically skim through the whole forums and KS comments, and even then I don’t have experience with the previous KS, nor have the game, nor… you get the point.

memetichazard wrote:

I know i can get other high rated games like pandemic legacy and what not. Thing is, I have previously owned a lot of games that didn’t get enough value of and ended up selling. This piqued my attention, I think i can manage to afford the base. I just don’t want to throw money blindly.

Also, from my position it is nearly 4x as expensive as other people. In my country shipping is already $100 more than ‘preferred’ countries, between 25-50% customs value (including shipping costs)…. and the average income here is less than 30% of ‘preferred’ countries. If it is worth it, I can make sacrifices. I just don’t need entitled responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Arah wrote:

I can read. A lot. I don’t have the time to specifically skim through the whole forums and KS comments, and even then I don’t have experience with the previous KS, nor have the game, nor… you get the point.

Dude, the questions you asked show that you a one lazy goblin. How many miniatures are included? You have some balls asking other people to count the dudes there are listed in the product description.

And the question about the price? It was answered like gazillion times and is in the FAQ thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Arah wrote:
I just don’t need entitled responses.

And you would not get entitled responses if you would look some things up instead of saying: "I have better things to do than read about a game I'm about to invest some serious money in. Would someone please count the miniatures? I don't feel like adding today."

Here is a list from the KD page and you didn't even bothered to add those numbers? And find by yourself that Armour Kits make survivors?

- 4 x Starting Survivors
- 1 x White Lion
- 1 x Butcher
- 1 x Screaming Antelope
- 1 x Kings Man
- 1 x The Hand
- 1 x Phoenix
- 1 x Watcher
- 1 x Unarmored Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 1 x Rawhide Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 1 x Leather Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 1 x White Lion Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 1 x Screaming Fur Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 1 x Phoenix Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 1 x Lantern Armor Kit (Creates 4 Survivors.)
- 2 x Bonus Mystery Miniatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awaited King... maybe you should take a break from the forums for a few days... until like january 8th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Awaited King... maybe you should take a break from the forums for a few days... until like january 8th.

Wise advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vincent knoll
United States
Farmers Branch
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a KD:M novice, and I'm planning to start with the 1.5 Base Game, Gambler's Chest, and Dragon King expansion. Does that sound like a good starting point...or is there anything else that I absolutely "need" to add right off the bat? I don't want to (and can't afford to) buy everything right away...but if there's 1 or maybe 2 more expansions or items that the masses feel I should get, I'd much rather sign up for them now rather than later.

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honestly?
If you don't want to have it all right away, just go with the core box.
It's already A LOT of content and gameplay.
You will probably start to feel the need of an expansion after a year.
Even the Dragon King is not a must have if you start.

Are the extra nice to have? Undoubtedly.
Are they mandatory to enjoy the game fully? Not at all.

If you can afford buying the extras one by one when when needed, just do that.

The only caveat is that they will be harder to find (but not impossible to find at all as they are not definitely out of print) and somehow pricy.
During this KS, their cost is cut by half.

That is the only motivation to take it all right now.
It's not about the fact that you would miss something from the game because you won't use it all before quite a long time anyway.
It's just about money and availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:

But it's still cheaper than Magic! laugh

Anyway, I'll just add that one monster can have different AI. Just because you've fought one Lion, doesn't mean it'll behave the same the next time you fight. For miniature painters, this is a blessing since we won't have to paint a new miniature for every frickin' combat. For everyone else, you can use the Mythic Battles Nemian Lion for your second combat and your kid's lions from his Lion King toy set.

Poots also has sales, such as his 50% off sale on BF. And, who knows, in a few years he may run another KS. KD:M is a "lifestyle" game, so also only buy it if you have the time to play its campaigns.

EDIT: Read this review. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/07/kingdom-death-monster-...

EDIT: Holy crap. Four naked guys fighting a lion.

Oh, and I looked up the MSRP of a core set of D&D books. If you get 'em at a discount, you're only paying ninety bucks... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
baylock wrote:
KevBelisle wrote:

Wise advice.

I'm trying... it's just so hard... but I try to spend time on Kickstarter where I'm not suffering Frenzy Brain Trauma all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the base game comes with over 1000 cards. Think about that and how many copies of netrunner you would need to buy to make up 1000 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
veeknoll wrote:
I'm a KD:M novice, and I'm planning to start with the 1.5 Base Game, Gambler's Chest, and Dragon King expansion. Does that sound like a good starting point...or is there anything else that I absolutely "need" to add right off the bat? I don't want to (and can't afford to) buy everything right away...but if there's 1 or maybe 2 more expansions or items that the masses feel I should get, I'd much rather sign up for them now rather than later.

Thanks for any help!

I would get the gorm, expansion. Whilst it isnt recommended to use other expansions with the new campaigns it does go very well with that expansion.

Finish the base game first, then after that go for the dragon king with gorm expansion

Also the lion god is a very good expansion but it suffered due to being a lantern year 20+ expansion. Now that the game has increased from 25 to 30 lantern years, the lion god might make a great expansion for the base campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.