Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you get to play an occupation if you have this card and only play 2 Vikings on the Plundering space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For reference, Warmonger (106 B) states "You can use the “Plundering” action space with 1/2 fewer Vikings if you have 3/4
longships in your bay. (As usual, the amount of ore on the longships does not matter.)"

The "Bonus for Placing Four Vikings" section states "Each time you place the four required Vikings on an action space in
the fourth column, before or after taking the action, you may play an
occupation card from your hand. (This bonus is only available on
action spaces in the fourth column.)"

I guess we'll have to wait for an official ruling, but I suspect the intention is that you could play an occupation as well.

An interesting note is that it doesn't say to "take back" Vikings, so I assume Warmonger doesn't trigger card(s) that have effects when you return Vikings to your Thing Square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
For reference, Warmonger (106 B) states "You can use the “Plundering” action space with 1/2 fewer Vikings if you have 3/4
longships in your bay. (As usual, the amount of ore on the longships does not matter.)"

The "Bonus for Placing Four Vikings" section states "Each time you place the four required Vikings on an action space in
the fourth column, before or after taking the action, you may play an
occupation card from your hand. (This bonus is only available on
action spaces in the fourth column.)"

I guess we'll have to wait for an official ruling, but I suspect the intention is that you could play an occupation as well.

I would've thought just the opposite. You're not placing four Vikings, after all.

GAFBlizzard wrote:
An interesting note is that it doesn't say to "take back" Vikings, so I assume Warmonger doesn't trigger card(s) that have effects when you return Vikings to your Thing Square.

It shouldn't. You're not returning them, because you never placed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:

I would've thought just the opposite. You're not placing four Vikings, after all.

But you are placing them in the correct column, so my guess the bonus the column gives triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to remove the card. There's plenty others and the publisher has not responded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very surprised if, given that you're placing in that column, you don't also get to place an occupation card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be surprised if you do get to play an occupation. I feel like the rules are clear that the bonus of playing a card is triggered by placing four Vikings not placing in the last column. If the rules meant for that I feel like the rules would have read you get to play a card by placing Vikings in the fourth column.

But given the confusion it would be nice to get Franks answer. He generally has been good about monitoring these sections of the forums so we shall see what he says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As both of you show there's a case for either interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ranior wrote:
I will be surprised if you do get to play an occupation. I feel like the rules are clear that the bonus of playing a card is triggered by placing four Vikings not placing in the last column. If the rules meant for that I feel like the rules would have read you get to play a card by placing Vikings in the fourth column.

But given the confusion it would be nice to get Franks answer. He generally has been good about monitoring these sections of the forums so we shall see what he says.

I messaged him a week ago with a bunch of outstanding rules question threads, so I don't want to bug him too much. I'm not sure if he is busy or no longer monitoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Do you get to play an occupation if you have this card and only play 2 Vikings on the Plundering space?

Yes, you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Yes, you do.

Thanks. From this I conclude that using 3rd / 4th columns give their card draw / card play benefits no matter how many vikings you play on them, if a card allows it.

This might be worth a small errata/clarification in my opinion because of the category titles and paragraph wording on page 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoah dang. I did not expect that interpretation.

I agree, it would seem the rule of thumb to take from this is that the abilities really are triggered just by placing vikings in the third or fourth column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Yes, you do.

Thank you. I feel that makes the card overpowered but that's only my opinion and I'll put it back in the deck now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Yes, you do.

Thank you. I feel that makes the card overpowered but that's only my opinion and I'll put it back in the deck now.

I'm not certain about the balance since I've never tried it in multiplayer, but hopefully the -1 point value balances the extra effect slightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.