Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a friendly plea / reminder for people to post rules questions related to expansions like the Curse of the Rougarou into the specific expansion entry rather than here at the base game.

It is much, much easier to find a specific rules question if it is placed on its own home page, as the base game rules subsection is already buried and will only get worse with time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about this. I'm coming from the Netrunner community, where we have dozens of packs - and the BGG forums for most are ghost towns. Keeping the discussion centralized on the main game page makes way more sense to me. Plus, I don't want to go to each expansions forum and subscribe over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If each question is started with a key word like the expansion name it should be easy to search through the questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
So, the key difference between Netrunner and AH/LOTR is that in Netrunner you can see any card in any given match. That means even if you have a question about how a card works, it'll apply to any game you play, and many questions will hinge on the interaction between 2 cards from 2 different sets.

On the other hand, if you have a question about how Moonstar of Cthullarlathotep works, you might be better off asking in the set-specific forum because that's the only play it can ever possibly appear.

Just use common sense, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
I don't know about this. I'm coming from the Netrunner community, where we have dozens of packs - and the BGG forums for most are ghost towns. Keeping the discussion centralized on the main game page makes way more sense to me. Plus, I don't want to go to each expansions forum and subscribe over and over again.

I agree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Escapade wrote:
So, the key difference between Netrunner and AH/LOTR is that in Netrunner you can see any card in any given match. That means even if you have a question about how a card works, it'll apply to any game you play, and many questions will hinge on the interaction between 2 cards from 2 different sets.

On the other hand, if you have a question about how Moonstar of Cthullarlathotep works, you might be better off asking in the set-specific forum because that's the only play it can ever possibly appear.

Except it's perfectly possible that Moonstar of Cthullarlathotep interacts confusingly with an investigator card from Pendants of the Dark Ponies, and they come from different expansions, in which case someone might post that question in either forum. And I'm not sure there's a way to search all the expansion forums at once?

(To be honest if I have a question about a specific card I just put the card name into Google and it finds all the BGG threads anyways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:

Just use common sense, in my opinion.

This was my perspective as well. I think of games like Netrunner as being CCGs at their heart, which means that each set is simply additive; much like Magic or any of the other more competitive type games.

The Arkham stuff, though it is additive in some senses, is mostly modular. New things that are introduced seem like they will just affect the new expansion. In that sense I think of it like a board game much more so than a game like Netrunner. The only real similarity to me is the sales model.

I just bring this up coming from a background in one of the most heavily expanded board games ever in Age of Steam. I always found it easier to just flip to the individual expansion's forum and leaf through the rules questions and the discussion about that specific expansion than to instead have to sort through a huge amount of data in the main game forum.

Obviously, if the majority disagree with me then I'll just have to put up with it laugh but I just found it odd as it seems easier to divvy the stuff up into its own home, especially for games that are planned to have a metric ton of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can totally understand where you are coming from, Michael. I am quite active in the LotR LCG forums and I kind of dislike that questions about the expansions are often just thrown into the core set's forum.

Unfortunately for the Arkham Horror LCG I didn't find a viable way yet to just subscribe to the whole of forums including upcoming expansions all at once. You can subscribe to the Arkham Horror Family but this would mean you get the posts of every Arkham -related forum not just the ones regarding the LCG.

But without people subscribing to the expansion's forums they will not get a place where the majority will post. I think most people will just stick to the "main" forum and it will be the place with the liveliest discussions and best chance to get an answer to your questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Marion
Canada
Surrey
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, though your request was nicely worded and has merit, I would prefer one forum for questions, comments or concerns.
As long as people keep mentioning potential spoilers in the subject line, I'm ok with the way it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vast majority of questions I see always end up on the base game, even expansion questions. Most expansions I've seen have zero posts at all. I'm with others - I prefer one place for everything. With the search function, and properly worded subject lines, even if the rules forums do get crowded, we should be able to find what we're looking for. Be sure to push for informative subjects on rules questions. It makes a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.