Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the facebook post:

I presume the random assignment is to prevent min/maxing chars but seems a shame.

Cheater & nobleman I love these they really make people feel unique and will create nice theatrics about their character,

Juggler a unique ability if a bit underwhelming.

Daredevil nice, powerful ability. No real downside.

Athletics makes you unhealthy..... I can't see that extra movement being worth the -2hp often.

I'm dubious of Scholar, I would have thought it would be powerful with some heroes and nothing but a bane for others.

Longshoreman nice with the rogue type character has a lot of movement to begin with, might be a pain with one of the slower fighters in keeping up with the group and maintaing control/domination.

I hope Daredevil isn't repeated and it's a scanning mistake, I also hope the instructions aren't counted as one of the cards which would be a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
These are basically a complete waste of time to anyone interested in winning the game. They add a massive random element that can completely break a character. Only the ones without downsides are worth considering, as the ones with downsides are MASSIVELY terrible for you, -2 health and -1 speed are both game breakingly bad for most characters.

I think these are just extra random things added at the end without being thought through, which is mostly fine! But also sad. Don't play with these. Sleeve them and hide them forever.

Scholar doesn't even work on half the characters... This was really poorly thought out, reminds me a bit of death in GD. Oh well, the core game will hopefully still be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I guess it is just as well that I want to play the game, not just "win" the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
These are basically a complete waste of time to anyone interested in winning the game. They add a massive random element that can completely break a character. Only the ones without downsides are worth considering, as the ones with downsides are MASSIVELY terrible for you, -2 health and -1 speed are both game breakingly bad for most characters.

I think these are just extra random things added at the end without being thought through, which is mostly fine! But also sad. Don't play with these. Sleeve them and hide them forever.

Scholar doesn't even work on half the characters... This was really poorly thought out, reminds me a bit of death in GD. Oh well, the core game will hopefully still be awesome!

Honest question - have you actually gotten to play the game? I mean, it seems like without playing at least a few scenarios it's hard to say how helpful movement for health would be. I agree that I'm not a fan of the random draw - I may encourage players to just pick one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
dkartzinel wrote:
Paul G wrote:

Honest question - have you actually gotten to play the game? I mean, it seems like without playing at least a few scenarios it's hard to say how helpful movement for health would be. I agree that I'm not a fan of the random draw - I may encourage players to just pick one.

I was wondering about giving each player 2 random cards and telling them they may pick a background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
dkartzinel wrote:
Paul G wrote:

I have! I've played the first scenario ~5 times on Tabletopia, but even just looking at the numbers. I believe a first Soulrank wizard elf has THREE health. Imagine if she drew a -2 health background?

Also, given the way speed works, very few heroes could afford to give up a speed. I imagine there are a few with speed 4-5 that could lose 1 and it'd be worth it, but the risk of getting "you half have life and even more irrelevant speed."

If it wasn't random, EVERYONE would be a Daredevil, as it's the only significant strict benefit (until very late in the game where health is ~12 and -2 health isn't so big a deal). Juggler and Cheater both also seem valuable. -2 health is too huge. -1 health per Act is SLIGHTLY more doable, but with -2 any character built at the start of the game absolutely cannot afford to take one of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll be using these are player choice cards, but as they are 'promo KS exclusive' items if I don't end up liking them I'll just put them back in the box

Will hold off judgement until I play with them, but it's good they aren't core to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea behind these cards.

Hopefully the Gremlins polish them up a bit first, though. (Would love to see like 15 of these puppies, all viable and useful. Would really up the replayability of the game, having to juggle another balanced/useful passive)

More stuff like this please, Gremlins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.