Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are really bad. Is it just me? I dont get it. Atlas is amazing. This is the least necessary add-on so far. Id rather have the terrain. Much dissapoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are good, but I didn't go wow! Maybe they need a bit of paint on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily they are addons and I guarantee you will be able to sell this and buy many terrains if you don't like it.

Personally i like them a lot, as seen in the new thread i was writing as this post beat me to it. I just had to take half an hour to read the spoiler and write the post .

You really don't like Kronos? i thought Kronos might have had a wider appeal. Gaia I get it, people have polarizing opinions about females. Enceladus, yes, it looks bad. Typhon could get a head fix (but cool wings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cronos would be cool without the blob of plastic surrounding him. Gaia is an ugly woman with sticks coming out of her. Enc is garbage. Typhon is cthulu. Making me want to drop the titan bundle all together. I probably wont.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly disagree with the OP. But to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
OliverOil wrote:
Are really bad. Is it just me? I dont get it. Atlas is amazing. This is the least necessary add-on so far. Id rather have the terrain. Much dissapoint.

I don't care for any of the figure sculpts, they're well done but really not to my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding the sculpts:

Kronos: Awesome
Gaia: Meh
Enceladus: Bad
Typhon: Awesome

I, for one, would rather have had these offered than more terrain. But then again, I would have rather had a new board than villagers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think enceladus is a bit comic. The rest I really like. Typhon is awesome and Greeks talked about tentacular stuff way before lovecraft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I'm pretty neutral about all of them and honestly don't get the hype about titans anyways, and especially not about Typhon which people have been requesting so much.

Gaia just seems more like someone to let others do the fighting, but that she'd be able to heal them or such. I get the more vicious direction they went with her for battle but I suppose I don't agree with it.

It's an optional buy anyways though, and I dont have the money to spend on the full package either way. At best I might get one big expansion aside from some smaller ones.

Both the haephestus and Hera expansions look great to me so I'm still in doubt about which one to get.. generally I like the Hera one a bit better, but the automatons are a nicer kickstarter exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhalius wrote:
... generally I like the Hera one a bit better, but the automatons are a nicer kickstarter exclusive.

ditto on the automatons and on the Hera add on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have to get hera and heph, and the judges, sphinx and manti. Might get a few extra of the core boxes too. Otherwise, nothing else I am interested in at this point. I certainly don't see the value of the bundles once factoring the cost of the titan add-on in. There is also no guarantee that the extra's in typhon will be easy to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. The titans are well illustrated and sculpted for the most part but they just don't evoke the feeling of Greek mythology. Typhon may very well match some of the greek descriptions of him but the other 3 are too monstrous or demonic. I feel Atlas was the perfect balance of artistic liberty and faithfulness to Greek mythology. So I'm still on the fence about this add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OliverOil wrote:
Cronos would be cool without the blob of plastic surrounding him.

Yah this is my main gripe as well. I absolutely hate moving or light effects around minis - as they impossible to paint decently and believably.

They really shouldn't have done this because 99 out of 100 painters will make something very ugly out of this.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
OliverOil wrote:
Cronos would be cool without the blob of plastic surrounding him.

Yah this is my main gripe as well. I absolutely hate moving or light effects around minis - as they impossible to paint decently and believably.

They really shouldn't have done this because 99 out of 100 painters will make something very ugly out of this.

soblue

and with out painting it at all it's even harder to separate visually the effect from the mini - a vicious circle oddly fitting to the mini
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting to see the actual sculpt of Cronos. The blob initially looked like a huge tumor to me. But closer inspection does show some cool details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branwell
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
Many people seem to enjoy the titan models so I am glad for them. Personally I am disappointed in the Titans (not in the artistry, which is impressive!) but in the theming. Atlas seems much more representative of Greek mythology while presenting a strong artistic interpretation.

As I mentioned on the Kickstarter, the Titans (and Gods) were power hungry, capricious, and often destructive but they weren't evil. These sculptures are much too demonic/Cthulu-esque. I was hoping for a more subtle and mature interpretation of theme. (There are so many games already out there doing the "super boss monster" thing).

The Titans and Gods were primordial but the anthropomorphism of them is key to the mythos. They are the embodiment of human vices and foibles played out on a grand scale. Making them "other-wordly" doesn't seem appropriate. They are us. We are them. Except when they sleep the sky darkens, when they weep the earth freezes, and when they battle the stars realign.

Alas, I will be passing on the titans and cherry picking expansions (skipping Poseidon too) instead of going "all in" as I had originally planned. I was a fan of the original game (+expansions) and am grealy looking forward to the shiny new version even if the theming is a bit more uneven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think using the less anthropomorphic visual for the titans actually works well for the theme and game, independent from the question if one likes a specific version.
The design basically separates them from the Gods in game and if I see it correctly from a cursory glance at the stats it seems that the lesser the human form the greater the difference in game play terms, with Atlas on near end and Typhon on the far end, which would be a nice touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.