Subject: The titans have arrived! What are your impressions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kronos . Gaia. Enceladusyuk. Typhon wow

Kronos:
Aesthetically impressive. Death without hoodie.
Mechanics: Scythe makes 2x7 AoE Throw attacks. For just 1 AoW. gooood.
Tyrant: Would change the name, to doom or inevitability, or something like that, to match the very thematic effect: Essentially robs the unit of life.

Gaia:
Aesthetics: The head is very good, shows an angry mother earth. Good marketing for WWF and stuff like that. I don't like the clothes. Not saying she should be naked, but I'd rather have roots replacing clothes.
Mechanics:
Both abilities are awesome. One is a hard CC, the other makes her sustain go through the roof. If the opponent wants to collect omphalos, they are screwed. If they want to kill you, they better focus as hard as possible. If flyers didn't exist, it would be an insta-ban.

Enceladus:
Aesthetics: Not my cup of tea.
Mechanics:
Fury of Etna is very strong, but very costly. Would be as horrible as Zeus, except this one trades 2RP for an actual second ability.
Overall as impressed as I am with Zeus.

Typhon:
After the last disappointment, this one leaves a good afterrtaste.
Aesthetics: The hair-tentacle-beard looks better thrown to the back, like in the picture. Right now it is very Cthulhu-like, and even if I like Poseidon enough to not see it as Cthulhu, this one can easily pass off as Cthulhu Edit: Actually Cthulhu looks way too similar to Typhon. Let's complain in the FFG boards. I was initially scared as the box cover makes this one look extremely similar to the ape. Other than that, The wings look amazing, and more octopus legs are welcomed.
Mechanics: Wow. Just wow. This is the only ability that costs more than 1 AoW (not Athena's -1 AoW, or Poseidon aka mini-typhon) that makes every card worth it. Typhon is basically a winged enraged Heracles, throwing potentially the whole enemies' army scattered around the whole map. This ability alone makes Poseidon cower in fear. This is the granddaddy of area denial. If 2 spaces apart with Poseidon wasn't enough, now you need to be 3 spaces apart, which is basically half the battlefield. You will either be afraid to stick your units together, or actually get your units thrown to the edges of the world if you decide to move them closer. Scare, rush, scatter. Divide and Conquer. Those describe Typhon, and are well worth its -4RP cost.

I am perplexed as to how this box wasn't in Typhon's unrevealed box, but happy since titan pledgers get it too.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So these play like gods correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care for any of these 4 new titan figure sculpts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu.
They did horrible things to Greek Myths in this game, but this is by far the worst. Cthulhu.
Cthulhu. And not a single backer protested. Cthulhu in Greek Myths.
I can't believe. After a flying gorilla and a horror-movie-style kraken, Cthulhu.
And they refused to make Xena and Kratos into this game. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
So these play like gods correct?

Gods and Titans are essentially the same: Leaders of your army.

They need to be different in name, since thematically Gods fought Titans.

Mechanically, Titans are stronger, but always come at an additional cost: With gods you have 12 RP to spend in units, but with Titans you only have 10 RP. And if you take Typhon, you only have 8RP.

This is to balance their slightly higher power. Ares + Hydra ~= Typhon.

A minor criticism is that the way the RP cost is put is confusing (Gods show no RP number, while Titans show negative numbers, and regular units show positive numbers). I would prefer to have gods show 0 RP and Titans show positive RP. This change could also allow true negative cost units in future expansions: Think something that comes cursed and is a burden to your army but gives you extra points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Angra wrote:
Cthulhu.
They did horrible things to Greek Myths in this game, but this is by far the worst. Cthulhu.
I can't believe. After a flying gorilla and a horror-movie-style kraken, Cthulhu.

Did you took a look at Typhon's description as per Greek Mythology? I would not be that surprised that Typhon was some kind of inspiration of Lovecraft's Cthulhu…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit worried that Atlas is way weaker than these titans. He doesn't have as strong damage or as good control as these guys but has an additional drawback added to him unlike these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Caibre wrote:
I'm a bit worried that Atlas is way weaker than these titans. He doesn't have as strong damage or as good control as these guys but has an additional drawback added to him unlike these guys.

Atlas, is the only one in the game with 10 attack and defense and who can do area attacks for free… he had to come with a weakness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Chronos the best, visually speaking.

I was originally displeased with Gaias rough look as I always envisioned her as beautiful. But this is angry post imprisonment Gaia. So just like Poseidon, it fits with the theme.

Overall, I am very pleased and am really looking forward to painting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:
Cthulhu.

Just FYI, the word "Cthulhu" was originally coined by Theodorus Philetas (~950AD) in a mistranslation of an Arabic manuscript about cosmology into Greek. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Angra wrote:
Cthulhu.

Just FYI, the word "Cthulhu" was originally coined by Theodorus Philetas (~950AD) in a mistranslation of an Arabic manuscript about cosmology into Greek. whistle

Well, now this will settle any lovecraftian arguments. Ammended the Typhon segment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really have any expectations what the titans are concerned.

That said, they look far more monsterous, even nightmarish, than I envisaged after Atlas was revealed. Compared top the 4 new guys he looks pretty civilized!

Typhon looks very impressive. Gaia is fine as well. Enceladus is ok'ish, although I wouldn't paint him like in the example.

I think I like Kronos least as he is horrible to paint. I really dislike miniatures that have some sort of light or movement effects (like Kronos, Medea, Echidna, Pandora) as you really have to be an exceptional painter to make them look even remotely realistic. I wish they hadn't done that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Angra wrote:
Cthulhu.

Nope. Typhon is a snake with another 100 snakes on his head. Sometimes his torso is human, but that's it. He may or may not have wings. Read the Greek sources
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:
Caibre wrote:

Atlas, is the only one in the game with 10 attack and defense and who can do area attacks for free… he had to come with a weakness

Ah didn't realize the special attack was an area attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hestis
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Angra wrote:
Cthulhu.

As others have pointed out, Typhon does resemble that, and was very likely an inspiration for Cthulhu.
The winged ape/Herald of Typhon also has a basis in Greek Mythology.
The Kraken isn't in Greek Mythology at all, and Ketos was a term used in a very general way about sea monsters. Nothing wrong with using that mini to represent him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
It's nice for those who really like titans, but to me the box just does not add enough value for the money and I think it works better with 1-2 titans in addition to some other stuff. Like a board, some other units and scenarios.

I also think that with Kronos and Gaia the possibilities with their powers where greater in supportive roles than just making them some powerhouse fighter.

In comparison the other three big box expansions bring a lot more gameplay to the table. A new god, new boards, new scenarios and a nice amount of new units too to use with those scenarios.

Gaia could have been pretty perfect for her own nature themed pack I think. With dryads, nymphs and more, as well as beautifull green boards.
The scenarios could focus on her wanting to reclaim the earth and wipe out civilisations.

I just feel more could have been done with them, they might possibly have fallen victim of their own hype because they have been teased for so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.