Hide
3 Posts

Silent War» Forums » Rules

Subject: The game doesn't seem to have any attack bite !! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Lucas
msg tools
I have had the game for a long time, but over the last few months I have reread the rules over and over. I set up a test game for going over the mechanics and have reached the same issue. No bite to this game !!

I have a small convoy with 14 ships. My sub's attack factor is 4-2-3

I selected 3 ships my luck ... DD 7-2 CL 5-0 and a Merchant 1-0

I have an ace skipper of +1 My TDCs were +1/ +1/ 0

If I have to allocate my attack between three ships, the best I get is an attack of 2 +1 for the ace skipper. -1 for the torpedo I can probably beat the cargo ship and nothing else. Regardless of how long I can re-attack, the capital ships are safe from my torpedoes.

Seeing that I work at the Newport Naval Base, I turned a cold eye to the faulty torpedoes of -1 and that doesn't help me much. Am I missing something ?

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cwiklik
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's some rotten luck. You've got a few things working against you here:

1) P Class boat (I'm assuming). That 4 attack isn't much - it gets better with the T class and above (most of the new boats you get). They (<6 atk boats) really have to stick it to a single target to have a shot at sinking something unless they get really lucky.

2) The TDCs you drew were really unlucky. You want more negative numbers on your TDCs.

3) Flipping the 2 ASW DD hurts, especially this early in the war (see note 1 above about 4 attack boats).

4) Early war torps - that -1 torp value also really hurts. It does take some time to climb out of that, but once you do you'll find you've also got a ton of the 6 attack boats ready to go. Until you do its suggested you take all on 1 target attacks to get the best chance for hits/sinkings.

It may have been juicy seeing that cruiser and merchant pass by, but the IJN was prepared and your boat wasn't capable of dealing with those situations well. Stick with it and just know that the early war has lots of missed opportunities.

One more note: I'm not sure where you get the attack of 2 from? I see attack 4, plus 1 for the skipper, and minus 1 for the torp value for your side (total of 4). For the target I see defense 1, plus TDC of 0 (your best TDC), and plus 2 for the DD ASW value (total of 3). The difference would be 1 which would be your target number (basically a 20% chance). This assumes you are in the same column with the merchant and you put the 0 TDC on the merchant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, don't judge from just one encounter. Or even a lot. If you play through months of this game you'll have tons of encounters. Some will be terrible, many average, and some you'll have great luck. There are so many encounters to resolve over the course of this game that you shouldn't look too harshly because of one or even a few ineffective encounters.

But also, Dan mentioned a bunch of key points. The most important concept to me is to realize the strengths and weaknesses of each submarine class. Read the situation, make the most sensible positioning and TDC placements, and then make the attack, attacks, or don't attack as best suited to that submarine and the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.