¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
Ones you got hired for and got paid for, not chores.
I tend to have jobs that last 2 years or more (other than three on this list- #2, #4, #7).
In the past 37 years, I have been:
Edit- thanks for the reminder, Avri! 0) Paper route (hated it- I was small and weak)
1) (General) Fast food restaurant worker/ cook/ cashier; two different burger places
2) Door-to-door sales (two different stints; worst job(s) in the world)
3) Restaurant food preparation & stock ordering (back kitchen only)
4) Golf course backshop worker/ range ball retriever
5) Shipper/receiver at a large chain variety store
Edit: 6) Coin-op vending machine filler & troubleshooter
7) Sheet-metal worker
8) T-Shirt silk-screener
9) Clothing sales at a store in the mall (part-time; I was very good at it)
10) Architectural draftsman-- manual (pencil and vellum, T-Square & scales)
11) Draftsman-- computer (AutoCAD drawings for an engineering firm)
12) Small Business owner-- Wholesale (commercial and residential) building materials sales & accounting
- Last edited Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:04 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:28 pm
County of Essex
Does voluntary work count?
Trainee sales man
Quality control inspector
Telesales (double Glassing)
Fast food Crew member
Part time Barman
Civil servant (temporary, very very junior)
Telesales (Solar Panels)
- Last edited Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:15 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:13 pm
In 34 years...
1) Dishwasher in country club
2) Janitor in specialty meat market
3) Temp industrial worker...electronics part room stock clerk, TV and computer assembly line worker, night attendant at sprinkler parts manufacturing facility, furniture mover, newspaper ad proof delivery driver
4) Campus patrol at Community College
5) Security Specialist in USAF
6) Hotel Security at Resort/Spa
7) Zoo Security Officer
1) Fast food - general employee (2 different stores, same chain)
2) Pizzeria - dish washer/busboy
3) Office worker/aid - basically a gopher
4) Door-to-door fundraiser for a non-profit - I would put this as the worst version of the worst job MABBY
5) RadioShack - Yeah, I'll name names here.
6) Fast food on the side (same chain, one of the same stores)
7) Telecommunications (18.5 years and counting) - I have had 6 job titles at 4 work locations in three states for 4 company names (parent company stayed the "same" through transfers and acquisitions) So, is this 1 job? 6 jobs?
- Last edited Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:49 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:48 pm
+ Team Leader with CXK (teaching 16-18yr olds who didn't get on in education).
+ HLTA/PE teacher in a primary school.
+ English teacher in Nagoya, Japan.
+ Senior Sales at Gamestation.
(Trained as hairdresser)
+ Worked at Birmingham University doing filing and bits and pieces.
(Church training course)
+ TA, activity leader, dinner lady at Infant School.
+ Worked in a playgroup.
+ Agency Theatre Porter at Coventry hospital eye department.
+ Childrens Sports Coach for Coventry City Council.
+ Theatre Porter at Canterbury Hospital.
......and about a dozen jobs before that including pot washing, fruit picking, Chinese takeaway counter staff and sports coach.
I'm 35. My last three jobs have been since I was 27. I've been made redundant once but never fired.
- Last edited Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:05 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:04 pm
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
1 - Worked in a Bowling Alley at 14.
2 - Paper route at 16.
3 - Summer camp counselor summers from 19 to 24.
4 - Comic book store manager in England from 21 to 22.
5 - Mailroom operator at jewlery factory from 22 to 24.
6 - Strawberry picker for a few weeks at 23.
7 - Comic book store manager in NYC from 24 to 27.
8 - Summer camp Unit Supervisor summers from 25 to 28.
9 - Grade school teacher at 27.
10 - Full time summer camp administrator from 27 to 42 and counting. (This last includes a progression from Assistant Administrator, through Bookkeeper, to my current role as Director of Finance.)
Was paid a small amount for singing a few gigs with a band in my late teens.
"Paid" in reduced rent for being an RA at the University of Sussex my last two years there, and volunteered at the emergency hotline on campus. (For the record, the role of an RA is far different in England than in the States. Less rules enforcer, more social director . . .)
I also volunteered in youth work positions - cubs, scouts, youth clubs, etc. - from the age of 14 through 20 or so.
- Last edited Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:39 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:34 pm
2) Casual Library Assistant
3) Crematorium Receptionist/Administrator
4) Library Assistant
1) Trolley boy
1a) door to door steak knife salesman (I was hired due to indirect nepotism which disgusted me so much I never showed, but if you want I can probably still show you how to cut through leather)
2) Survey monkey
3) office lackey
6) customer service soldier
7) tech support sergeant
8) marketing imp
9) customer service/sales devil incarnate
10) corruptor of young and impressionable minds
11) bureaucratic nonsense
12) back to corruption, more my style.
13) odds and ends at different times, cash in hand, never in pocket.
- Last edited Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:19 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:15 am
howl hollow howl
1. Newspaper Boy, Schenectady Gazette
2. Grocery Stocker, Albany Public Markets
3. Meat/Deli Clerk, Albany Public Markets
4. Overnight Dorm Monitor, Virginia Tech
5. Deli Clerk, Grand Union
6. Dishwasher+, Burnt Hills Cafe
7. Overnight Retail Stocker, K-Mart
8. Retail (Housewares), K-Mart
9. Retail (Housewares), Addis & Dey's
10. Life Insurance Salesman, Prudential
11. Retail (Housewares), Lechters
12. Teaching Assistant, SUNY Albany
13. Teaching Assistant, U Wisconsin, Madison
14. Software Engineer
I was fired from #2, but rehired by the same company for #3 after an impassioned plea. I was then fired from #3, but they let me come back after another impassioned plea. Otherwise, most of this was me leaving due to life changes. I'm almost at 19 years at #14.
1) Soldier 21 years
2) Dispatcher (office bitch) at trucking company 1 year
3) District Manager at newspaper (carrier babysitter...) 2 years
4) Deputy Sheriff 12 years and counting
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Depends how you count it. Babysitting? Did a lot of that when I was a teen. Shoveling snow? Delivering and setting up waterbeds?
Let's see... 10, I guess. Not counting cash-under-the-table jobs like the above three (all of which I did).
What were you expecting?
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
Well, my lifestyle isn't quite so linear. Not counting jobs I've had in high school and college...
1) Landscaping and Lawn Mowing
2) Public Address Announcer for Minor League Baseball
3) Masonry Restoration Assistant
4) Knife Salesman
5) Lumber Yard - lasted one week
6) Hard Rock Cafe Host - lasted one day
7) Office Temp
8) Shirtless Cocktail Waiter
9) Catering Waitstaff
10) Promo "Model"
12) Acting/Public Speaking Teacher
13) Actor again
Edited for full work history
- Last edited Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:39 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:57 am
1) Labourer on building site three different stints.
2) Supermarket in meat room.
3) Contracts Officer at the British Meteorological Office.
4) Bicycle courier at 5 different companies (visa meant I had to change)
5) Fleet Controller at courier company.
6) Manager at a games shop.
Have worked at more than six different companies but same position.
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
Since 1986....er, 30 years
Paper boy(before 1986, think when I was 12-14)
Movie Theater Doorman
Movie Theater Projectionist
Pizza Man(Dions Pizzaria)
United States Navy(Diver/Hull Tech)(1988-1992)
Waiter(Chili's and Bennigans)
Friendly Local Games Store front desk(Wargame West)
War Games West distribution center salesmen
Best Buy PC Tech
Intel lab tech
Philips semiconductor lab tech(summer intern)
NASA JPL Almagordo(summer intern)
Sandia Labs(summer intern)
Software Engineer IBM(1998-2014)
Software Engineer Sailpoint(since 2014)
- Last edited Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 am
Since about '89:
B&Q grunt - (the UK equivalent to Home Depot)
Random bar work.
Cashier at high street Bookmaker.
Senior Gameplay Engineer.
Between those last two, that's at 7 different studios/companies though
Sold Christmas Cards door to door (earned PRIZES!!!)
Tech director for local college
Laborer in a rubber factory
Janitor in a nuclear recovery station
Janitor in a haunted theater
Computer console automation administrator
WHOOPS Forgot that I've also been paid as an actor and a puppeteer.
- Last edited Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:22 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:29 am
Lost in thought.
My work history could best be described as "jack of all trades, master of none", and I'm ok with that.
Cook/server/trainer/bartender at Red Lobster, Chili's, Dave & Buster's, Po' Melvins, The Landing & Humperdink's
Teacher of 6th-9th grade mathematics, algebra & science
Youth Director of middle and high school youth (Methodist church)
Fraud Prevention Analyst for Handango (mobile app store)
Operations Manager for Communities In Schools (non-profit org)
Project Coordinator for Dialogs (web development company)
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
Advertising sales - local newspaper
Landcare (we managed "controlled" fuel-reduction fires in state forests)
Snack vendor on a ferry*
Tutor: mainly English, but also Australian History, Politics and Biology (student were final year at highschool with ambitious parents).
Failed photographer. I got paid, but not enough work. Could not make money. Fun though.
Systems support, analysis & reporting, then
Customer Service, then
Customer Service Teamleader**, then
Complex Faults service and reporting, then
Escalated complaint/claim management**.
Telephone counselor (volunteer work)
Telephone surveys, telemarketing**
Local Government - mainly customer service*
* Great job
** Terrible job
Prior to college:
Fast food (Wienershnitzel)
Ranch hand (Arabian horses)
Car wash attendant
Phone sales (water softeners....that job sucked!)
Waiter/busser at a high end restaurant
Tech at a laser manufacturer (industrial printer lasers)
Courier (delivered piles of computer code and printouts internally at one of IBM's large facilities)
After college (aerospace engineering):
Stress analyst - aircraft structures
Director of engineering
VP of Engineering
Those are my titles, I've worked at six different companies (going on seven)
Turning 30 next month. Feels like I've had a lot more jobs than I've listed here. Weird.
Carriage pusher at supermarket
IT Technician at local highschool
Case Manager for a moving company
Tourist photographer for local harbor cruises
Librarian assistant (workstudy job)
Release Engineer for an internet company
- Last edited Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 am (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:37 am
I'm a University prof and never really had a job, so none yet.
31 Years, pretty linear once I got warmed up:
Camp Counselor (2 summers)
Ditch Digger (Landscaping firm junior employee) (1 really long summer)
Retail Sales (CD store) (2 years)
Undergraduate Research Assistant (2 years)
Graduate Research Assistant (5 years)
Assistant Professor (5 years)
Associate Professor (10 years)
Professor (4+ years)(Same place as Assoc. Prof.)
The Seal of Approval
Two paid internships and one job (which I have for 17 years now)
1) 8.5 years at my first - financial modeller for an international PLC
2) 20 years in March at my second - systems analyst for a yarn manufacturer