Subject: What an interesting take on WWI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the old times sake, a game that has been quite interesting due to the topic and also by the design. Landships, and it's subsequent module Infernal Machines are rather unknown titles. A platoon level game from First World War, depicting the development of armament over the years when infantry columns and cavalry phased out, and were replaced by tanks, flamethrowers, gas, machine guns and the airplane. Infernal Machines includes further developments and more importantly many new post WWI / interwar scenarios.

Landships, and even more, Infernal Machines suffer from one drawback that is greatly contributing to it's relatively low popularity. Very, very poorly written rules. In fact, the rulebook is such that one can get the basic mechanism of the game from the base game, but by no practical way will remember all the little details, not to mention optional rules. Infernal Machines adds another layer to the game, not only interesting features and scenarios from post WWI world but also Infernal layer of rulings that are very hard to memorize or apply in practice.

Saying that loud will probably cause all the rest to run away and never look back but somewhere, deep in the rule carnage there is quite interesting game. In fact, some of the scenarios are brilliant, and even with only 75% of rules in play they are fascinating. Game itself is quite devastating as far as unit consumption is concerned. If someone would call ASL brutal, in Landships the human expenditure is way beyond. In a swift gas attack, tens of platoons die and disperse in agony and machine guns mow down cavalry like a wheat. This is of course bad thing for longevity of the opposing forces, but also a good thing. Because units die rather easily, it means that games go through in less time, but also that one cannot really rely on suicidal attacks (one could argue however that every attack in Landships is such) and wish for the best.

In many scenarios, there are not much survivors left at the end. More often than not, offensive runs out of steam after furious attack because one side or other runs out of functional platoons or front line cohesion. It is remarkably lot like reading the book "The Somme" and the descriptions of the actual events during the battle. While it is about the weapon development, there is also quite bit of strategy in the game. One cannot assume to just go over the leading trench and wish that opposition is not prepared. Offensive will eventually grind to a halt, but the question is if it does so too early and wether the costly offensive can survive the counterattack. Defensive play forces player to think how to keep sufficient forces intact for the inevitable counterattack and how to concentrate forces to where it counts. Easier than done, because someone has to stand in the front lines to make sure that the offensive player pays as dearly as possible from the initial advance.

So, what does Landships need? It needs someone to rewrite the whole in coordinated manner. Preferably by someone with good rule writing skills and understanding of the intentions of the game designer (this is especially true for spotting, and IM artillery). Alternatively, it requires patience to overcome the complexities of the rules, and opponent that is willing to do the same. Reward is there though. Landships battles are not very long. If both sides know the rules, they are usually affairs that can be played into conclusion in couple of hours and game offers tense moments (besides the rule interpretation front).

Anyone that has interest in WWI, Landships is interesting addition to collection. It is interesting study of the weapon development during the WWI and interwar years, and should probably not overlooked until someone designs game that have similar ambitions but better rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Mongoven
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello Juha ~ I've played probably all of the Landships! and the Infernal Machines scenarios on the game maps and my own historical terrain maps.

I strictly use the Infernal Machines rules and charts that improve over the originals. There are two competing Infantry Range charts in the Infernal Machines rules so pick the one you want to use.

The Infernal Machines artillery rules look to be too long and complex but are very straightforward and easy to use; all you have to focus on, when determining an artillery strike, is the type of ammo and pattern that's being used - simply ignore the other artillery type rules.

Here is an example of my Landships!/Infernal Machine scenario play of the Freikorps attack in the Baltics. The scenario was taken from a Panzer Grenadier scenario book (I don't play PG...I just use their scenario designs for further Landships! play).

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd52f7d/2208

Cheers ~
~Dana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice content you have there. Did you play solo or against live opponent?

I agree that Infernal machines charts are better, and supplement in general has good content but I found that there are amount of things that conflict with each other between the original and the supplement. I tried once to rewrite the rules in order to read them and check & clarify everything that were a mess but even then there were some problems left that I could not easily overcome. While doing that I noticed many little rules that I had not earlier because they were in somewhat illogical places.

By the way, how do you handle Infernal Machines spotting rules (and weather while at it)?

I'd really like the rules to be rewritten by someone - or try it once more and just skip the impossible bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Mongoven
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes - I play solo in Landships!. You can play anything solo if there are no hidden units.

Use the Spotting Rules from Infernal Machines. It's pretty straightforward. Weather is factored in the Poor Visibility column (I think that's the name of the column).

Here is a scenario based on the 1917 wolf attacks on the GErmans and Russians in Eastern Europe:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd52f7d/2091

And the BGG site for the aborted Real Weapons expansion that was supposed to follow Infernal Machines. There are enough free units, rules, and scenarios to make the abandoned expansion good enough for me:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11686/real-weapons

EDIT: Well, it looks like the BGG entry doesn't have a link to download the partial Real Weapons expansion. I'm still searching for it online....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The five pages of artillery effects can be handily summarised in a table that covers less than a page, included on my house rule/variant page.

http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/hr.html

Here is the actual table:

http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/misc/landships_t...

Clash asked me if they could include that table in Real Weapons, but I have no idea if that will still come out. (Apparently the maps were printed together with the Landships maps and have been in storage all these years.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.