Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
boris turk
Slovenia
celje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I really hate "push your luck" mechanic. That's why I never play skill cards before reviling tokens from a bag, but allways after it, when I can see if there is need at all. That makes me cheater,I know and also make the game easier but I can't help it.
I just wonder, is there anyone who plays like this?
B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boris95 wrote:
So, I really hate "push your luck" mechanic. That's why I never play skill cards before reviling tokens from a bag, but allways after it, when I can see if there is need at all. That makes me cheater,I know and also make the game easier but I can't help it.
B.

I think the major part of tension in this game is doing this the correct way. Without that then I might as well just not even roll dice in Elder Sign. Our group has literally cheered when a risky test went our way. Without that, well...yawn.

But to each their own and it's your game so play it how you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boris95 wrote:
B.

Why not just play on easy difficulty? =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boris turk
Slovenia
celje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
boris95 wrote:
B.

I think the major part of tension in this game is doing this the correct way. Without that then I might as well just not even roll dice in Elder Sign. Our group has literally cheered when a risky test went our way. Without that, well...yawn.

But to each their own and it's your game so play it how you want.

Well tension is still there, believe me, because I still obey all other rules. Interestingly enough,when I was teaching the game to my wife I didn't explain to her the corect version. But at the start of second scenario I told her how was supposed to be played and she didn't like it at all, thank god
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It Also make some cards like Lucky useless...
I Also would recommend easy mode, if the game seems to be too hard, than change this rule, or add one or two starting resources or starting cards. They don't change the game mechanics, but would definitely make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I think it sounds like an interesting variant, honestly. It almost, not quite but almost, puts me in mind of a Mage Knight-ey sort of-ish experience. It just lacks the aspect of knowing the numbers of the obstacles in advance, which MK has. I wonder if you could, say, for every location's shroud, draw one chaos token upon revealing the location and have that be its permanent modifier for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duck Farmer
Australia
Ziggurat City
Phantasmagoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of it. It doesn't fully remove the random element from the game as you are still drawing from the chaos bag, but it reduces the luck factor and adds more informed decision making around whether to play a card to modify a skill test. I think it could be a useful variant for solo play to offset the lack of other investigators in your location being able to help by contributing a card. My only reservation is whether it will break the game going forward but I'm certainly going to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
theDuckFarmer wrote:
I like the sound of it. It doesn't fully remove the random element from the game as you are still drawing from the chaos bag, but it reduces the luck factor and adds more informed decision making around whether to play a card to modify a skill test. I think it could be a useful variant for solo play to offset the lack of other investigators in your location being able to help by contributing a card. My only reservation is whether it will break the game going forward but I'm certainly going to give it a try.

At minimum I would increase every difficulty by 1 if playing this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this way, but for those so inclined, what about making skills you yourself commit pre-chaos-draw, but have the ones from the other investigators (if any) be post-draw. That way you still have some tension but also have a bit of a bail-out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boris turk
Slovenia
celje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theDuckFarmer wrote:

Exactly!
In a nutshell, what does this variant do, is removing the frustration of committing one or two added skill icons to a test, that after draw of chaos tokens, you just realized it wasn't necessary.
Thx everyone for your thoughts and replies.
B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'd never play with you. That's just defeating the purpose of the game and how it's designed. Your game and do as you wish, just don't see the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this rule isn't how I'd want to play it just because you're removing a layer of player decision. I know there's still a decision there (do I add exactly enough to pass this check) but to me that's a black and white decision and it's just not as interesting.

Like others say though, if you don't like the uncertainty and it wrecks the game for you, absolutely cheat away, fun is what matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand, that you play it like this not to make the game easier, but rather to make the game more enjoyable for you.

The problem is, that it really changes the value of some cards (i.e. the aforementioned Lucky, which is one of the best cards in the Survival deck, is now fairly useless (it is still a +2 on any test for 1 resource, but so is Unexpected Courage, a 0 cost neutral card). Even worse... the Talent Assets are ridiculously good, when playing like this. Never, ever, fail a test, anymore, if you have enough resources.

So, no, I would not want to play like this, since it introduces changes to the game and the card balance, that would definitely not be enjoyable for me.

But if it works for you and your wife, that's cool.

I wouldn't even call it "cheating".

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why stop there. Pulling the autofail is frustrating also, arguably more so. Let's get rid of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Why stop there. Pulling the autofail is frustrating also, arguably more so. Let's get rid of that.

...and all those darn -N tokens. They should go too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your thinking, OP.

In my plays I've decided to lose those pesky encounter cards. They are almost all horrible!

Next time I think I'm going to ditch the Agenda deck too. It's like it's trying to make the game challenging or something. Bleh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the smart-ass comments
Actually although that sounds great in theory I would think it would make the game way to easy. It really changes a lot of the dynamics and play-testing results if you NEVER have to worry about losing a card. Said another way you will always play every single card in your deck in the most optimal way, which, I would think, would really screw up play balance.
But bottom line is its all about fun - whatever keeps ya gamin !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind this variant at all.

Why not meet in the middle?
for the cards that you play and pay resources for: must be done prior to the chaos bag. Then, after you've seen the results, you can commit cards for further bonuses as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duck Farmer
Australia
Ziggurat City
Phantasmagoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this variant last night. I felt it worked well and didn't make the game too easy (I lost).

Disclaimer: sample size of 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, the only one you cheat is yourself which in the long run is actually just boring to play.
But hey, if you like to cheat in these 1 plr games. Go ahead. Who can blame you, except for yourself?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear god, people lighten the F*k up! If you don't like the suggestion, don't use it, but there's no reason to cop all this attitude.

Boris: I don't think I would play this way, but I did feel some similar frustration that you mentioned. Perhaps you could say that to play any card for skill icons after the draw costs one resource, or maybe even one resource per card. By all means, though, do it however you find enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
Using this variant with a higher difficulty would be interesting. You don't have the cards to succeed at every test, so there's a lot of strategy and choice there.

I actually thought about playing like this to reduce the luck element, but ultimately settled on using a more consistent chaos bag instead. It's like rolling 3d6 instead of 1d20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Borgh
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The biggest problem I see is it changes a fundamental concept in a game like this, from "Will I succeed?" to "Can I succeed?". The difference is that the former has a slightly lower chance for success (because of more random factors) but also as a result a wider emotional response. Sure when you get screwed with a bad pull when you should have had it.. it's REALLY frustrating. By that same token, when you succeed on a slim chance there is no better feeling.

To each their own, but for me that's the problem. It's not just changing a mechanic but changing the emotional response games like this can draw out. For me, THAT'S where the fun lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common guys. If you don't like this post, or don't have anything good to post, why bother?

Anyway, to answer the OP, this is not a competitive game. It's a coop you can play solo as well. No one will come to you with the rules police and stop you.

I do think you are missing part of the charm of this game with the way you're proceeding. I like myself the tension of having to decide if the current test is so important that I should consider playing cards to make sure I don't miss it. Sometimes, it turns out useless because I draw a +something token or an auto fail one, but sometimes, It is just a great feeling that you indeed took the right decision or else, you would have been in trouble after that missed test.

It's all about risk management. I think it does play a big role in the game. I actually prefer myself that the game is hard because it adds replay ability to a game and I enjoy hard coop game. So for me, I play by the rule as it was intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Kandolin
Finland
Lempäälä
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
I don't mind this variant at all.

Why not meet in the middle?
for the cards that you play and pay resources for: must be done prior to the chaos bag. Then, after you've seen the results, you can commit cards for further bonuses as needed.

I really understand the OP and kind of like it actually. But the version posted by Sarimrune seems like a better version of it to me. I don't mind overcommitting and losing an extra card to succeed, but sometimes a brutal -4 even when using 2 cards and a resource or something is just painful.

I understand and even sort of like the random pulls from the bag, but having done a round like this once, I'm open to changes :

1. Action, investigate, use a card to have +3 in comparison to shroud -> draw a fail

2. Action, investigate, use a card and a resource to have +3 in comparison to shroud -> draw the fail

3. Action, count my losses and draw a card to recover for next round -> draw a weakness!
I was totally tapped on random for a while!

So I might actually implement a version something like this myself in the future! Thanks!

Oh, by the way. What are people's thoughts on the weaknesses?
I know they're thematic and fit the universe etc, but they just feel too random for me to enjoy. The problem isn't just that you get bad stuff happening, that's ok from the encounter deck and agenda etc. BUT when I use an action to try and advance my game (by drawing a card) I get slapped in the face. This is especially frustrating early, since the beginning of the game is gearing up and finding your cards and preparing. Now if you draw both weaknesses within 5-10 cards drawn, you're kind of screwed. Then again, if they're both at the bottom of your deck and you draw your main cards early, you're set for the whole game.
Something about this just doesn't sit well with me.
Sure, my taste is probably half the problem, since I mostly enjoy puzzly games with a bit less randomness, or atleast being able to counter randomness with things, like deckbuilding in a game like this (and mtg for example)
What do others think about weaknesses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.