Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having played the "regular" two-player variant with allies, I'd like to try the "alternative" two-player variant where each player controls two characters. However, I was very surprised to find no mention in the rules of the time allowed for the planning phase with this variant. Is it indeed the case that two players controlling four characters between them have the same time allowance as four players? If so, has this been play tested and found to be reasonable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keith,

The 'alternative' two-player version has been play tested extensively. 12 minutes is not unreasonable.

Let me know how it plays out for you guys.

Happy gaming!

Asger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Asger,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let you know how we get on. So far, we're really enjoying the game!

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Degnan
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keith,

I usually only play this game with 2 players (my wife and I) and the 12 minutes is more than sufficient for 2 characters each. Heck, I have now played 4 character's solo and used only the 12 minutes for preparation! It works, but after the 12 minutes my head hurts a little .

To be honest, I think the allies version is almost more difficult because you have to try and remember which characteristics they add, and their abilities as well as your own ability. Also since you can only have a limited amount of allies, if you decide mid-way you are going to change an ally, I always seem to get confused on which characteristics I will have at which point in the game. I much prefer the 2 character per person variant with the normal dread cards.

I will say, it really helps to have played a few times to where you know the inherent characteristics each character brings to the table. Then all you have to do is keep track of the item cards for each character.

Good luck to you!

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Asger and Colin,

Well, we managed to beat the first scenario (The Letter) on our first ever try with the "regular" rwo-player variant, that is, using allies.

Emboldened by your replies, we attempted the "alternative" variant, playing two characters each with a 12-minute time allowance.

We were truly awful!

After two attempts, during which we genuinely tried our hardest, we hadn't even managed to reach the endgame, and we were genuinely dumbfounded and astonished by the completely inexplicable mistakes we had made in the planning phase. We consequently adjourned to our favourite local hostelry for a meal and some beers during which time we fully discussed our dreadful performance, laughed at our more bizarre mistakes, analysed our (failed) strategies, and formulated new ones for next time.

In other words, we had so much fun!

More seriously, we would have been rather underwhelmed if we had succeeded in defeating the game so early in our relatively unpracticed careers. A co-operative game shouldn't be that easy! This one presents a really meaty (and refreshingly original and entertaining) set of challenges.

So we're really looking forward to our next gaming session - this time we'll totally crack that sucker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up. It made me smile. So happy you had fun!

I wish you the best of luck for your future adventures on the mean streets of London.

Asger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.