msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiled

An 18 card abstract tile-laying game.

Number of Player: 2
Play Time: 10 minutes

Rules

Set up

Separate the cards with an orange bar from those with a blue bar to create each player’s deck.

Each player shuffles their deck and draws 2 cards. Then, each player deals the top card of their deck to the playing area, face down. Randomly decide who will go first. The second player reveals the cards and creates a diamond of a single color, by placing them side-by-side. Cards must never overlap.

If a diamond is completed using a card from both players, they share ownership. If a diamond is complete exclusively by one player's cards, they "selfishly" own it alone. If a player owns a diamond of each color (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow) they win the round.

Game Play

Play or Discard

Play a card
On a turn, each player will play one card from their hand, matching edges on previously played cards. A card played cannot overlap other cards, and must be played in a different orientation than that of any card(s) played on the previous turn. (The first player in a round cannot play in either orientation of the two starting cards)

Discard a card
If a player cannot place a card from their hand, they must discard one card. If this happens to both players consecutively, there is no restriction on the orientation a card can be placed for the next turn.

Draw
At the end of the turn, draw a card. If your deck is empty, shuffle your discard pile back into your deck.

Check for Victory
If a player has a diamond of each color (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow) using at least one triangle from their cards, they win the round.

If a card is played in such a way that it satisfies the victory condition of both players simultaneously, the player who placed the card loses.

If the first player would win the round, the second player gets one more move to tie. If this move results in a tie, the player with the least “Selfish Placements” wins. Each diamond that is created exclusively by one player is considered “selfish”. If players are still tied, they share the victory. If this leads to both players winning their second round, continue playing new rounds until a single player wins.

New Round

At the end of the round, all played cards go to each player’s discard pile. If a player wins 2 rounds, they win the game. The loser of the previous will go first in the next round. Each player starts the round by playing the top card of their deck to the center. The winner of the previous round then gets to orient the cards for this round.

Links

Print and Play File
NEW! Low Ink Print and Play File

Tips and Tricks

The rules card with a back can be cut into 8 squares, 4 of each color for each player.

You can also use 4 differently colored chits for each player to place either in front of themselves or on completed diamonds to keep track of the board state. This way you can tell what you need to complete and (in the case of putting the chits on cards) helps in finding "selfish" placements for tie-breakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Tiled (18 Card Microgame Contest 2016) - Components Ready
r3dbeard wrote:
Tiled

An 18 card abstact tile-laying game.

Any chance of a link to the files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camden Clutter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Tiled (18 Card Microgame Contest 2016) - Components Ready
govmiller wrote:
Any chance of a link to the files?

Link for the PnP is at the bottom of the post, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any hope of a black and white printer friendly version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camden Clutter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought about doing symbols or textures to differentiate between the areas. I set my printer to "Fast Draft" when I print out my prototyping set, if that helps.

The colors where chosen to be color-blind friendly, so setting to print black-and-white might be ok, but could be a bit difficult to tell some areas apart.

I'll look into adding some variety to each area.

I pulled the files into Photoshop for some quick testing and found that the "Green Filter" preset for the Black & White Adjustment gave a pretty decent contrast to each area, with no solid black areas. Hope that helps until I can get something up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made up a nice set of TILED. I think I understand the rules but it would be good to have a photo of a game in progress.

From my initial plays it seems the hard part is tracking to know which diamonds have already been formed, it easy to slip up and make the same color twice or to have achieved the 4 colored diamonds and not be aware of it.

Thanks for your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camden Clutter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing!

Keeping track of which diamonds have been formed is a problem that keeps popping up. I actually designed the backs of the cards with that in mind. What I mean by that is, the rules card with a back could be cut into 8 squares, 4 of each color for each player.

I've been using 4 differently colored chits for each player to place either in front of them or on completed diamonds to keep track of the board state. This way you can tell what you need to complete and (in the case of putting the chits on cards) helps in finding "selfish" placements for tie-breakers.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camden Clutter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:

Updated the original post with a new, low ink print-and-play file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r3dbeard wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

Updated the original post with a new, low ink print-and-play file.

Great! Now just have to nail down hubby so we can play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.