Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: for total games newbies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine expressed an interest in playing. He is a total games newbie, not having played any modern games before. Is it worth a go or a recipe for disaster? Wondering whether I should talk him through my collection and find something a little simpler and then build up to this, or just jump right in? Anyone done anything similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel KERN
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
It depends on whether he/she is interested in the cold war topic. If not, try something else. If yes, that's worthwhile. Dépends also on your ability to explain the rules and play a few games before it really becomes attractive !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, no, not a good idea.

But, depending on your friend (how curious are they about games, are they interested in the subject matter, are they going to care when attempting a full playthrough takes several hours), and depending on your ability to teach and engage, it might be fine.

Ultimately you're the only one in a position to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I introduced to my girlfriend was Twilight Imperium. She is now my loving wife and still talks about that session. I think it all depends on your friend and how interested he is. Send him a PDF of the rules. If he reads it and still is interested I think you can drive right in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
The first game I introduced to my girlfriend was Twilight Imperium. She is now my loving wife and still talks about that session. I think it all depends on your friend and how interested he is. Send him a PDF of the rules. If he reads it and still is interested I think you can drive right in.

To me that seems like a really bad idea. He's unexperienced with contemporary games, and you send him the dry rules as a starter? shake

Just introduce the game yourself, to make it much more approachable and to bring out the theme.

Twilight struggle is not an obvious game to start with, but if your friend is passionate about the topic, or if he's the kind of person you feel can really tackle complex stuff and enjoy it, why not.

I myself started as a teenager with Res Publica that I bought on a whim and taught my unsuspecting friends, and a couple decades later still am board gaming with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If your friend is interested in the topic, for example if he is old enough to have lived through the time period, this could be a fine choice. Just don't let yourself win by his defcon suicide, although you should point out how you could have won when he makes that kind of play! Also, I think you should try to point out some of the cards that cause big swings in country influence (e.g., in Early War: DeGaulle, the Romanian stuff, Japan, Truman).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Craddock
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did this with a friend of mine. He had not played any modern board games but was interested. He was somewhat interested in the subject. He's pretty cerebral so that helped. I gave him a condensed version of the rules, some play aids, and then explained the game to him. We played a few turns to get the mechanics down and started over. He picked it up and we played a full game over a few days at work. It worked out fine. We talked about why certain decisions where made as we played. Since then we played 1960 and Powergrid. He's not a gamer, but will play games like these from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caerid is just some guy
United States
Cannon Falls
MN
flag msg tools
Can't I even get privacy in the bathroom?
mbmbmbmbmb
If he is willing to play this game, and enjoyed it; it may be time he redefined what he thought of as a "gamer" and came up with a definition and included himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.