The Pursuit of Happiness» Forums » Variants

Subject: Use of extra hour glasses and more interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günther Hoogstyn
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish not to restart the discussion about a lack of hearts. I follow the designers reasoning in this that hearts are not that powerful and the stress factor needs to be threatening enough. But why are there 9 hour glasses for als player and 9 Rounds? With this rules it seems impossible to reduce your stresslevel to minimum and/or survive to play the last Round.
Another thing that I regret in this otherwise thematically and mechanically very fine game is the lack of player interaction.
So my suggestion to tweak these negatives (for my taste) is:
-Rest can make you cross colour levels of stress, but always 1 move Down, not 2 with the rest action on the board.
- a certain number of hourglasses on an action space( depending on number of players) regardless of their colors, gives 1 stress when you add one of your hourmarkers there.
Any thoughts?

To the designers: Even if you think the suggestion is worthless I would like to know how you defend the presence of 9 hourmarkers and 3 old ages Rounds in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GUNTHARIO wrote:
But why are there 9 hour glasses for als player

Have you read the rules on overtime yet?

Quote:
With this rules it seems impossible to reduce your stress level to minimum and/or survive to play the last Round.

It is possible, although very hard, to complete a project the same turn you acquire it. I have actually done this with a health card. With the right timing, I think you could get to maximum health before the first Old Age round, but I agree it would require a lot of luck.

Quote:
Rest can make you cross colour levels of stress, but always 1 move Down, not 2 with the rest action on the board.

Somebody else suggested this only a few weeks ago. The problem with this is that it scripts everyone's first move of the game. Everyone is going to take a rest for the first action so that they can have an extra hourglass for the rest of the game. Now everyone has seven hourglasses for the whole game and will live an extra round. The game will last longer, probably by 10-15 minutes per player, and it devalues hearts when they do appear.

Quote:
a certain number of hourglasses on an action space( depending on number of players) regardless of their colors, gives 1 stress when you add one of your hourmarkers there.

What I don't like about this is that its not really thematic. If my friend gets a job this month, there is nothing about this event that makes it more stressful for me to find a job. Similarly, you going shopping doesn't make it any more stressful for me to go shopping. I would say at least twice per game, somebody gets upset that another player takes a card they want. Granted, its not as interactive as your average euro, but there is some action denial in the game. I mean, its your game and if the houserule works with your gaming group, than do what you think is fun. I just don't think, mechanically, its a good fit for this game.

Quote:
To the designers: Even if you think the suggestion is worthless I would like to know how you defend the presence of 9 hourmarkers and 3 old ages Rounds in the game

1) Are you really serious? It takes a bit of cheek to call out a developer on something this small. You need to take a chill pill.
2) If you have seven hourglasses and take OT, you gain two more hourglasses. Thus you need nine.
3) I've seen issues come up in several games where resources are short. Maybe the devs thought having more is better than not having enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Abela
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, the gentleman above me pretty much answered everything, but since they specifically asked...

Quote:
But why are there 9 hour glasses for als player and 9 Rounds? With this rules it seems impossible to reduce your stresslevel to minimum and/or survive to play the last Round.

Quote:
I would like to know how you defend the presence of 9 hourmarkers and 3 old ages Rounds in the game

You use 6 hourglasses normally. If you get to +3 health (which is actually possible - but you're probably not going to win anyway since you wasted your life on living healthily) - you'll need 3 extra hourglasses. Or if you get to +1 health and use Overtime - you'll need 3 extra hourglasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther Hoogstyn
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear David, dear Adrian,

off course I read the rules carefully. And I took my chill pill.
I fully realize that it is possible to get 9 hourglasses, but as it is impropable and,as the designer acknowledges, strategic/tactical not a good thing to strive for, I am just wondering why these features are included in the game. By making an elaborate stress track on the positive side, everyone tends to expect that this is a viable strategy to pursue...
Same with the last round of old age. The second round of old age is already some kind of bonus round for who survives till there (which is a nice game asset), but why include an almost-impossible-to-reach-round from a design perspective?
I really didn't mean to be rude or disrespectful, it's just that I'm really interested in the reasons why this game elements have been included, undoubtedly after lots of playtesting...

About Davids comments on my suggested variant, I disagree:
If the presence of other hourglasses on action fields can cause stress, not everyone will take rest as first move. It will be a run for being first at action fields (as in many good games). And it's also thematic. It's about others who compete with you for jobs or partners, which gives stress, or others who posess things or do activities which can cause jealousy, and therefore stress .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea R
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
GUNTHARIO wrote:

Same with the last round of old age. The second round of old age is already some kind of bonus round for who survives till there (which is a nice game asset), but why include an almost-impossible-to-reach-round from a design perspective?

I believe the reason why it's there is precisely for the fact that even though almost impossible.. it's still possible so all the eventual situations are covered not leaving anything to the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther Hoogstyn
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for the very rare occasions that someone survives till third round of old age, you could stipulate in the rules that he/she dies in a pleasant and peacful way and game ends anyway.
My point is that including this round on the board, raises expectations about the feasibility of surviving there.
Moreover, from an economic view it is not efficient to include rounds or markers for every very rare situation that may occur. You just need those situations mentioned in the rules and how to deal with them, as is done in many games rulebooks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.