$35.00
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

I'm not sure if there is going to be an official Confederate or Union Civil war veteran hero. But seeing the Daimyo hero gave me the idea that if FFG was brewing one up, it would be interesting if he started each adventure with a few privates.
Really hope they do add a civil war vet hero, as this is a theme of this time period which hasn't been explored much in SoB (other than Scafford's).

This then gave me another idea. Looking at the Lost Army enemy card formation ability.
Perhaps as allies you could have a detachment of Union soldiers join you in the mines. Probably no more than 6 (remember that 8 model rule).
They would not count individually but as one unit that moves in formations (stats could go down as individuals die). They have been told by their superiors to follow your orders, so you may choose from a deck of orders to give them (bayonet charge, fall back, firing line, protective square, guard the rear, etc).

You would only be able to get these Allies from Frontier outposts. I'm not sure paying the army to join you makes sense, maybe you could make a cunning test as you try to convince the US army that this is an important mission.

Anyway, there's an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnt Lightning wrote:

I'm not sure if there is going to be an official Confederate or Union Civil war veteran hero.

The game is set in the late 1880s to early 1890s.

It's a bit late for Hero's shtick to be ex Civil War.

An Confederate Hero would be like having a Nazi hero in an game set during the Falklands war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We already have a Confederate miniature, the Colonel Scafford.

I don't think the game is 1880, since Scafford was a Confederate Colonel before going outlaw (after loosing the war).

I would see an Ex Confederate Hero as an option as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rule-book intro:

"It is the mid-1880s in the Southwest United States, and the small
mining town of Brimstone has found Dark Stone up in the hills; a
new precious mineral with magical properties, rarer than gold…"

Edit: The Scafford Gang has a faint Quantrill's Raiders feel to it or maybe Jesse James I think though you be hard pushed to imagine anyone still wearing the uniform of the Civil War unless they are "outta time" perhaps with a gate going back to that period. It's the perfect game for anything to make sense.

Edit 2: Forgot Sgt Bunker but given his current appearance getting him in and out of clothing might be an issue goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah guess they should have put the game in 1820/1830 instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

An Confederate Hero would be like having a Nazi hero in an game set during the Falklands war.

Whoa, got my dates a little wrong there. My history is pretty poor. That would be a very frail hero.
Once the Lost Army mission pack drops, and I see how they implement formations I'll look into homebrewing a US Army detachment Ally.

If anyone has played Dragon Attack Wing, they have a really interesting formation system for ground troops, I was thinking of something along those lines.

Also on side note: does anyone know where to buy online some civil war soldiers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Given a slight pistol remodel, the game could be set in 1865. Aside from the Colt 1873, what would contradict changing the time setting. Post war or near war might prove a bit more ripe for role-playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnt Lightning wrote:
Quote:

Whoa, got my dates a little wrong there. My history is pretty poor. That would be a very frail hero.
Once the Lost Army mission pack drops, and I see how they implement formations I'll look into homebrewing a US Army detachment Ally.

If anyone has played Dragon Attack Wing, they have a really interesting formation system for ground troops, I was thinking of something along those lines.

Also on side note: does anyone know where to buy online some civil war soldiers?

Frail, really? Say he was 20 when the war ended in 1865 and he had seen two years of campaigning. Was Peyton Manning frail when he won the Superbowl?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Burnt Lightning wrote:
Quote:

Frail, really? Say he was 20 when the war ended in 1865 and he had seen two years of campaigning. Was Peyton Manning frail when he won the Superbowl?

Yes he was. I don't understand your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adith Greyscale
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kind of wish someone would make a Hippy/Swinger/Protester of Trederra/Civil War, Where they have special abilities to weave Alien flowers, pacify monsters, stop damage with picket signs, and sing awful but catchy songs to cause enemies to gain stockmusic syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Burnt Lightning wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm with Beorndog. I don't see a problem with a hero in his mid-40s to early 50s. The American Civil War ended in 1865, so we're only talking ~20 years here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You may be interested in this topic for the Veteran. By dugfromthearth. I thought that the variations of the veteran class he outlined there looked pretty good.

I have set up a posse of 4 of them and even have some decent civil war figures to mess around with, but sadly never got-round-to-it. Have been meaning to one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the concept it's the maintaining the uniform of a confederate soldier for 30 odd years. Fine if it's stored away carefully but everyday use? Unless you take a Deadlands approach and amend history and the outcome of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.