Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I'm not exactly a miniatures noob - I definitely "attempted" to paint some old Citadel miniatures in the late 80's. I was not good at it then and my older/shakier hands will probably be worse.

That being said, what's a cheap expansion or even model that I can buy from the current black friday sale that I can use to practice on? Cheaper the better in case I mess it up.

Thanks in advance, very excited to back this even though I'm afraid I'm way in over my head!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest getting one of the more elaborate pinups or promos. The difficulty with KDM is that a lot of the pieces on the sprue dont have pegs or slots..and some pieces are insanely small. I think I remember the Fade promo actually having a single thumb on a sprue.

Fade and White Speaker Sword hunter would be a good start to show you what you're getting into. If you want a fun/challenging build for an expansion, Lonely Tree is a good pick I think.

Outside the wheelhouse of KDM, I think some of the Warmachine & Hordes assemblies are of similar challenge, though perhaps a bit easier in the long run.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! Also anyone know when the sale ends? I'm guessing tonight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Streaky wrote:
Thanks! Also anyone know when the sale ends? I'm guessing tonight...

It was supposed to end 20 hours ago, so I wouldn't put it off if you're planning on ordering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't practice on any KD:M miniatures, although, certainly, pick one up if it's on sale. Reaper has two Learn to Paint Kits and will have a website promotion in December. Citadel Miniatures from the 80's are still very good. Strip 'em with Super Clean from Walmart and start painting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How novel - cheap and KD:M in the same sentence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What products should I buy to assemble the miniatures? I assume I need some sort of sprue clipper and glue but not sure what I should be looking for.

I also may give them a wash, primer and dry brush but I have no intention of fully painting them. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Malifaux miniatures would be a good starting point. I think they're made in the same factory as KDM (similar sprues and material).

In particular, there are two Through The Breach (the Malifaux RPG) miniature boxes (male and female) that have interchangable pieces and both make 11 miniatures or so. I think that'd be great practice for you.

As far as materials, get a flat clipper (sprue cutter), some plastruct (adhesive-- melts the plastic together), and an xacto knife.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
What products should I buy to assemble the miniatures? I assume I need some sort of sprue clipper and glue but not sure what I should be looking for.

I also may give them a wash, primer and dry brush but I have no intention of fully painting them. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

This is my question as well.

I also think I might not paint them but would like to get them to look like the pictures on the site - which I am assuming are primed with a kind of grey paint? Again, go easy, total noob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Streaky wrote:
bholmes4 wrote:

I also think I might not paint them but would like to get them to look like the pictures on the site - which I am assuming are primed with a kind of grey paint? Again, go easy, total noob!

Some people like to use files and a clipper.
I prefer to use a hobbyknife / scalpel for nearly everything.
If you use a sharp blade, you can do nearly everything with a scalpel.
To fill the gaps you will need greenstuff, or liquid greenstuff or another kind of putty.
I don´t know the exact material of the miniatures, so I don´t know if plastic glue (the glue of Citadel is very good) will work.
Maybe you will need or want to pin some of the heavier parts.
That means that you will need a hobbydrill.
That drill is also very usefull if you want to magnetize your miniatures.
If you want to magnetize some parts, I highly advise you to buy some small neodym-mangets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elizablumi wrote:
Streaky wrote:
bholmes4 wrote:

To fill the gaps you will need greenstuff, or liquid greenstuff or another kind of putty.
I don´t know the exact material of the miniatures, so I don´t know if plastic glue (the glue of Citadel is very good) will work.
If you want to magnetize some parts, I highly advise you to buy some small neodym-mangets.

are the models shown in the promo videos and on the store page primed?

They don't seem to have cracks so the cracks were filled somehow.

Honestly I'd be fine having them just look like they do on the store page - so is that just spray paint after using green stifff or is there a wash applied too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Streaky wrote:
Elizablumi wrote:
Streaky wrote:
bholmes4 wrote:

are the models shown in the promo videos and on the store page primed?

They don't seem to have cracks so the cracks were filled somehow.

Honestly I'd be fine having them just look like they do on the store page - so is that just spray paint after using green stifff or is there a wash applied too?

The models they have on the Kickstarter are painted, if simply. On the sale page they're just assembled, no paint or green stuff. There are some gaps in the models, I think.

One thing to remember is that the game itself comes in plastic, but a lot of the one off models they sell on the site are resin. The process of assembly is similar but different enough for me to suggest trying something else. Resin can be fragile, depending on the manufacturer. They use a really fine, high quality but fragile resin. The models aren't actually used in the game unless you get an expansion.

I'd strongly suggest getting a citadel kit, something from the new Age of Sigmar. There's a lot of stuff to put together and practice on, and it's a lot cheaper than the models on the site. Also, I'm pretty sure the KD expansions are sold out in the US. It's a really really good idea to practice before you put the KD models together since they're pretty complex. I made the mistake of using plastic cement and liquid green stuff for the first time with the Kingdom Death minis and it really didn't work out well.

Also, don't paint and dip the KD minis. The models have fine detail that will get lost with the dip medium. I'd suggest using the citadel shade, since it's pretty good overall. You can get a nice simple look with black and white, similar to the Kickstarter examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The more I think about it the more I think I should be fine with just assembling them properly...if they do indeed look like the images provided on the KD:M shop site then I'll be more than happy with the way they look.

My old 80's Citadel minis looked crappy before being painted but these look beautiful to begin with and there's actually something about the pale color of the plastic that fits with the theme, for me.

I'll still look into some assembly stuff to practice with. Any particular Age of Sigmar models to suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One more question:

The more I look at guides online the less stressed I feel about putting the minis together. There's guides to show you what goes where, and the exacto/filing/glueing steps don't seem that hard if you're patient. I'm going to skip painting them for the time being, I'll be satisfied as long as they are assembled.

My question is, is pinning an "advanced" option or is it absolutely necessary? And which models NEED to be pinned? Glue doesn't scare me, drills and miniscule little rods do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
You should be fine with just glue for the minis in the base game.
I put together the biggest model from it (the Phoenix) without any pinning needed.
Vibrant Lantern is a great site and shows a great way to put the models together. The site has some really great pictures from multiple angles.
Just take your time and you will be fine. To start playing the game you only need to build 5 models, one Lion and 4 Prologue Survivors.
I used blue tac to stick some weapons on the prologue models to help tell them apart when we evenutally got weapons. It doesnt look great but helped us continue playing until I had the time to build some more survivors.
If you are jonsing to play against even more monsters I suggest using the empty bases until you can set aside some time and energy to put the models together; Just use blue tack or a marker to mark the front of the model for facing rules. I do not advise you rush build the models just to get them on the board you will regret that in the long term.

Also there are a ton of extra parts on the sprues, so if you 'mess' something up you can usually fine another part to help cover modify the build to still look great. (mess in quote since you can build these however you like.)

Honestly the models look great even while not painted. The gray tone they come in suits the theme of the game very well.

Painted models are unreal but my skill set it not enough to get them to the amazing details you see online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a challenge I suggest getting the Xmas Pin-up Twilight Knight. That was tough! Though I did feel good after finally figuring it out. White Speaker Nico (Xmas version) is a little less difficult.

I mention both of these because they will surely reappear in the shop a few weeks from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.