Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Dream House is a short card game with the theme of designing your dream house. You do so by a card drafting system. The cards are laid out in sets of two and in turn order the players select one set of cards. This is good as you sit sweating hoping nobody takes the set you want or do they just to spite you?

The game is about scoring the most VP and there are a few different ways to score all doing the same thing. You place rooms in your home and collect roof cards to score VP. There are decor cards you can obtain to score more VP as resource cards that allow you to break the rules.

The fun with Dream Home is how easy it is to play yet gives you interesting decisions. The decisions seem obvious until a card you need comes up versus a card you want. There is some luck in cards coming up in the order that best helps you and your opponent not taking it from you. You can always take first player during a turn, but it will cost you a roof card. Other decisions on when to get those basement cards and when to stop collecting a set because it is just not going to happen (it will only happen after you give up on it, of course).

This isn't a decision heavy game. It is a small intimate that game that was over produced. I like that about it and I respect that about it.

Overall, I like this game despite it being very light. The theme is going to attract a set of players that a fantasy theme will not. To me, it is a filler and plays very quick. You grab two cards and place them in your house and they score you VP. Nothing else is going on in this game.

The look of the game pulls everything together. It is a very nicely designed and looking game. Great job!

I recommend this game for most gamers as a filler to have in your collection. If this game was sold with Property Brothers on it or HGTV I think it would sell a ton of games and be a good game for non-gamers to play with. This is a win, but not a home run. Too light be a home run, but pretty darn good. Check this one out.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are great. At its heart, the majority of the components are the cards. They are very good quality and shuffle well and undersized. The decor is represented by cardboard tokens of different shapes and sizes. The player mats look just like a house and showcase the theme well. Even the insert is in the shape of a house and looks brilliant. The box is too big for what it needs to hold. The art is wonderful and inviting like a house should be.

Rule Book:

The rules are very simple. The rules to this game can be read in a minute or two and explained in seconds. Simple and good for the entire family. The rules are in full color with plenty of pictures.

Flow of the Game:

At its heart, this is a drafting game. The cards are placed on a board and players will in turn choose one set of cards to take (a resource card and a room card).

1. Roof cards are placed face down in a pile and plays off your memory. At the end of the game, you get 5 points if you have a set of four that are the same and 3 points for a mismatched set.

2. Room cards are placed in your hand. The rules are simple you need to have a room before another room before it can be placed higher. This creates a lot of competition for the basement rooms. The majority of the rooms give you bonus points for set collecting and placing a matching room next to it.

The game is very easy to pick up and play and has so few rules that nearly anyone can play. There are a few cards that break the rules but you literally do what they say.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a lighter game that will be a great game to play with families. I would recommend this for lighter gamers and for gamers that want to introduce a light way to draft cards. The game has few rules so it is easy to teach. The theme is going to be wide open to introducing new gamers to the hobby. I would highly recommend this game to most gamers as a gateway game.

Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1138 Dream Home: Are you ready to build your dream home? Spa or Tree House?
"The rules are simple you need to have a room before another room before it can be placed higher."

When you say "before", is this vertical only? I'm guessing so, since it talks about rooms higher being placed, but wasn't sure if you had to have them built horizontally in sequence as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1138 Dream Home: Are you ready to build your dream home? Spa or Tree House?
Noting the 7+ age rating, I picked this up to play with my son.

It is very light and he really enjoys it ... and there's enough game in there that I have fun as well.

The artwork is very detailed and it's clever the way the pictures of expanded rooms forms a bigger image that makes a degree of sense.

Recommended for families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
"The rules are simple you need to have a room before another room before it can be placed higher."

When you say "before", is this vertical only? I'm guessing so, since it talks about rooms higher being placed, but wasn't sure if you had to have them built horizontally in sequence as well.

Rooms don't have to be played adjacent to an existing room, but you can't play a room that has an empty space below it.

So you have three spaces from the start of the game and can play anywhere in that area, but you'll need basement cards to played into the final two ground floor spaces and you'll need a ground floor card before you can build on the top floor immediately above it.

I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFool wrote:
Auzette wrote:

Rooms don't have to be played adjacent to an existing room, but you can't play a room that has an empty space below it.

So you have three spaces from the start of the game and can play anywhere in that area, but you'll need basement cards to played into the final two ground floor spaces and you'll need a ground floor card before you can build on the top floor immediately above it.

I hope that makes sense.

Perfectly, thanks for the explanation. I think I was getting tripped up on what "before" meant. Now I get it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

Yes, you have to have a room beneath a room to build on top of it (there are three spaces on the board that this is not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for confusion.

Auzette wrote:
DreadFool wrote:
Auzette wrote:

I hope that makes sense.

Perfectly, thanks for the explanation. I think I was getting tripped up on what "before" meant. Now I get it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quiok note, I have played this with the same group that played New Angeles (just to give an experience level) and everyone enjoyed it and wanted to play again.

There is a game in here for gamers, not just families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.