Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mb
I hope to get your advice.

I wanted to buy Forbidden Stars, mainly because I liked the online runthroughs, I wanted a Space-themed game, I love the combat system in it and - I nwated to buy it now because I hear rumours it will be out of the market soon, due to licence issues.

So now I have a deal offer, slightly cheaper than store price for a used game in great condition. And I have second thoughts if it shouldn't be Exodus Proxima Centauri for my first bigger Space-themed game.

Is Forbidden Stars pleasing and entertaining for you?
Would you pick it over Exodus Proxima Centauri (yes, I know they are different games but if you were to choose between the two?) ?

I guess the next 24hours will make up my mind. Thanks for your help in making my decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many due you plan on playing with? Forbidden Stars is listed best with 3 while Exodus is best with 6. I haven't played Forbidden Stars, but I played Starcraft which it is based on and the higher player counts really bogged the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but why would you get Forbidden Stars if it's not going to be supported anymore? People have already said that it needs expansions and more variety. Exodus Proxima Centauri is still getting support, and is a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mb
I play with 2-3 most often and occasionally with 4-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would you rather have an apple or an orange?

Do you want an area-control combat game or a 4x game?

I think forbidden stars will probably work a little better with the lower player count
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I haven't played it, but why would you get Forbidden Stars if it's not going to be supported anymore? People have already said that it needs expansions and more variety.

Forbidden Stars still made the Top 100 without expansions or further support. Exodus is sitting outside of the Top 900 even with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with forbidden stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought for what its worth:

I own neither.

Reference Exodus Proxima Centauri:

I have not even heard of Exodus Proxima Centauri - so I really cant comment on it, though now that I have looked it over - I will look at more closely now to pick up since it looks interesting.

At a quick casual glance it looks like a cross between eclipse and a bunch of other games like twilight imperium etc.

Eclipse was not my cup of tea and I sold it rather quickly but Exodus Proxima does look different enough to entice me from my casual glance.

My thought is that a game designed for up to six probably plays best with a minimum of 4 with 5 or 6 being the best experience. One can never tell the accuracy of this statement unless they play it but my experience is that reviewers usually tend to say that a game is great on number of players in the low numbers and I have found it to be the opposite so the interaction of your players can decide that usually but 2 (or three) players for a game up to six might not offer the optimal experience. If you consistently got the four players then probably yes would be good bet.

Reference Forbidden Stars:

Ive played a few games, some 3 player, some 4 player.

i think 4 player is better, but with that said I have not found a three player game worth any salt as of yet (Star Trek Ascendancy - eh its ok with 3), the only real three player game that I found kept me engrossed was Armee Du Nord from Clash of Arms - but that would be for another discussion and the theme of that game is a war game so totally different.

We had interaction and the randomness of the walls (cant remember what they were called) forced interaction with each other in ways that might discourage clashes with three players so that was a nice albeit sometimes aggravating mechanic.

My experience with Forbidden Stars is that when we finished playing I wouldnt mind owning it and thought it would be nice to have around. One of our players has a copy so I never needed to grab it and never did pull the trigger and have felt it would be nice to have. I do still contemplate getting it.

I think Forbidden was a decent game - granted we never got it back to the table but when you have tons of games not everything gets back tot he table right away but I think it is worth having.

Bottom Line:

If you can afford it:

Grab Forbidden Stars now while you can, dump it if you dont like it or keep it your collection for the future. Then when you can afford it grab Exodus Proxima Centauri.

Best bet: get them both!!

hopefully I gave some input without sounding too wishy washy.

Other thought: Today we are trying Space Empires (GMT) - looks promising - consider that :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.