Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Of the Kickstarter for Israeli Air Force Leader is here! It's do or die for this KS, and we need a surge in Backers, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is "die", DVG can still publish it in a normal way: Print it, then sell it.
In case they are confident and trust their game, they will do so. If they won't, there would be no reason for me to trust the Game as well.
KS is all about moving Risk from one party to the other. And I see no reason why I should bear anybody else's risk.

Besides, 90 USD MSRP??? Sorry, but in my opinion this is absolutely not justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Individuals and companies use Kick Starter for various reasons.

To raise capital for development/production
For marketting and exposure
Even just to determine if there is market support.

As to price setting - I don't know what the production costs are.
And since very few game companies are not for profit.. You need to add on development, operating and write-off plus some return on investment.

Given that most games in store are in the $50-150 range - I don't see them as over expensive.

True - I miss the $5 games from Steve Jackson - like Rivettes but times change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:

As to price setting - I don't know what the production costs are.
And since very few game companies are not for profit.. You need to add on development, operating and write-off plus some return on investment.

Given that most games in store are in the $50-150 range - I don't see them as over expensive.

True - I miss the $5 games from Steve Jackson - like Rivettes but times change.

I remember when I could buy The Avalon Hill Game Co boardgames for $5 - brand new, off the store shelf! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
DVG Spams games. If you've played one you've played them all.
None of them are particularly interesting or well designed.
I find his marketing approach detestable.
If he can't get a kickstarter to its 'required support level' maybe it is because people have been fooled by his products enough now that they won't assume that risk themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion.

I am interested to know the basis for your option.

Could you point out the similarity between:
Warfighter series vs Leader series vs Down in Flames series vs World Gone Mad vs Modern Naval Battles vs Kill Shot?

Yes - they are all produced by DVG
Yet each has very different game mechanisms and feel.
While of course games of a series have similar mechanisms and feel - because they are of a series.

Which of the DVG games have you played?
What about those games that you dislike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
None of them are particularly interesting or well designed.
I find his marketing approach detestable.
If he can't get a kickstarter to its 'required support level' maybe it is because people have been fooled by his products enough now that they won't assume that risk themselves.

snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where is DVG? They said they'd come around and give a response at some point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Andersch
Germany
Korntal-Münchingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:

They were able to successfully publish and sell the same kind of games in Pre-KS-times, so why should this be impossible now?

They got great responses on their games, especially Warfighter was accepted very enthusiastically, and now it seems to me that they think they can bring everything to KS at whatever price and that there will be enough fanboys to support it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not impossible not to publish without Kick Starter,

It just seems to be how DVG have chosen to do business.
(raising capital etc)

It is like them choosing to do more with Face Book rather than advertising in print media... or more relevant to producing games - choosing to use Kick Starter than Pre-Order.

I've pre-ordered a number of their games - including IAFL* - but I prefer their using KS as it gives a commitment to publish if funded, rather than having to wait for enough Pre-Orders before going to publishing.
(*my credit card expired while waiting for the pre-order and hence why I've backed on KS)

DVG has run a number of recent games via Kick Starter - including Warfighter (both Special Forces and WW2)
from the IAFL campaign page:

---------------
Our Kickstarter History for funded games...

Rise of the Zombies... Published!
Battle For Stalingrad... Published!
The Cards of Cthulhu & Booster... Published!
Warfighter & Expansions Wave #1... Published!
Fleet Commander Nimitz… Published!
Tiger Leader... Published!
Warfighter Expansions Wave #2... Published!
The Cards of Cthulhu Expansion, Beyond the Veil… Published!
Phantom Leader Deluxe... Published!
Hornet Leader: The Cthulhu Conflict... Published!
U-Boat Leader 2nd edition... Published!
Gato Leader... Published!
Ship Miniatures for Gato & U-Boat... Published!
Warfighter WWII Wave #1... At the Printer!
B-17 Flying Fortress Leader... At the Printer!
----------------

Am I a fanboy for supporting them?

Possibly ninja- but their prices are not outrageous IMO and the games are sound*, I've backed other KS for far more (but I won't be backing KDM!), and in the case of Folk Lore - The Affliction with longer delays to delivery than DVG (I'm still waiting on FL:A to be finished development...)

*at least the ones that I have played

At the end of the day - Each to their own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
As our company has grown in game titles, we have also become much better known in the gaming community.

Most people who play our games enjoy them. In fact, some people like them a lot. I enjoy discussing our previous games, current games, and future games with them. I do this via Facebook, email, and even phone calls, on a regular basis.

It is also the case that some people do not like our games. As is their right. As with any other commercial product, if you don't like it... don't buy it. If the think the price is too high... don't buy it. If you don't like the people behind the product... don't buy it. It's really quite simple.

As those people have the choice to buy our games or not, I also have the choice on where to focus my efforts. I choose to spend my time designing games, running DVG, and communicating with the people who have supported our efforts through the years.

I greatly appreciate everyone who supports our company and allows me to have the greatest job I can imagine, designing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
On the business side, we have decided to focus on Kickstarter fund raising rather than our old DVG pre-order system because it works much better for us and the gamers.

Under our old system, many games took years to accumulate the needed DVG pre-orders, if ever.

With Kickstarter, in the span of a month, a game either funds and gets printer, or fails. But either way, it happens quickly and people know what is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
On the business side, we have decided to focus on Kickstarter fund raising rather than our old DVG pre-order system because it works much better for us and the gamers.

Under our old system, many games took years to accumulate the needed DVG pre-orders, if ever.

With Kickstarter, in the span of a month, a game either funds and gets printer, or fails. But either way, it happens quickly and people know what is happening.

...Ah-hah! I'm getting the picture now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lo and behold, the Kickstarter has succeeded in its goal! May the future entries in the franchise be equally successful in their KS campaigns and sales as Israeli Air Force Leader is due to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.