Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A parasite remains attached even if it loses all diseased cubes.

If the microorganism then purchases a mutation with a cube of a colour the parasite can take, does it do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Attachment is when a parasite takes diseased cubes from its host.

If a parasite wants to get cubes, it either needs to make a successful red queen attack against its host or purchase mutations (using its host player's catalysts, and if you have two bionts on your parasite, you can make two purchases a turn).

At least that's my understanding...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, that makes it clear.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome Chris, I just hope I'm right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering questions can be tricky. I don't think any of my attempts have been correct, but someone pointed that out, so I learned something. I just hope it wasn't at the expense of confusing someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Answering questions can be tricky.

Especially for this game (ha)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

If a parasite wants to get cubes, it either needs to make a successful red queen attack against its host or purchase mutations (using its host player's catalysts, and if you have two bionts on your parasite, you can make two purchases a turn).

I agree with Steve. If the wording in the Living rules can be improved, add a comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

I believe the parasite can also get cubes by being promoted: pay 1 Catalyst and flip its card if it can steal more diseased cubes by doing so (rules H2 and E3). The idea is that its host acquired more mutation cubes in the meantime.

And to answer the OP's question, no a parasite which lost its diseased cubes does not gain automatically a diseased cube when its host purchases a mutation of the right color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dom22 wrote:
I believe the parasite can also get cubes by being promoted: pay 1 Catalyst and flip its card if it can steal more diseased cubes by doing so (rules H2 and E3). The idea is that its host acquired more mutation cubes in the meantime.

I believe you're correct Dom, good catch.

Actually, a parasite does not have a promoted side. When paying a catalyst to flip a parasite, it loses it diseased cubes before re-attaching (per the living rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

Flipping Parasites has been axed.

Living Rules 11.27.16

Quote:
• Parasite. By spending a Catalyst of the Parasite’s color, you may flip it to its other side. (Unlike Mutations, Parasites do not have a promoted side). This allows it to reattach to the Host per (E3), or even reattach or supplant (E4) to another Host in an active row or its home row. Unattaching returns all Diseased cubes to the Host.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
UPDATE:

Flipping Parasites has been axed.

Living Rules 11.27.16

Quote:
• Parasite. By spending a Catalyst of the Parasite’s color, you may flip it to its other side. (Unlike Mutations, Parasites do not have a promoted side). This allows it to reattach to the Host per (E3), or even reattach or supplant (E4) to another Host in an active row or its home row. Unattaching returns all Diseased cubes to the Host.

Good call - it prevents a gamey situation from occurring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.