Subject: Solo Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have people been having success playing true solo with one investigator?

I have played through the campaign three times now. Once each with Roland, Skids and Agnes. I do fine on scenarios one and two but get crushed pretty good on scenario three. I am playing with a single core set on standard difficulty.

Not sure if I need to learn to play better, so wondering what other people's experiences have been.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I've played solo (one-handed) with each of the five investigators through the entire campaign with just one Core Set and only won with Wendy and Skids, both times via Resolution 3 of Scenario 3. With two Core Sets and a custom-built deck for Roland (so far) I've managed to beat the campaign via Resolution 1 of Scenario 3.

Playing through the first time with the recommended starter decks for each investigator was fun because it allowed me to use all of the available Core Set cards and decide which of them best fit my playstyle. That made it so much easier to decide which cards to double up on from the 2nd Core Set (and which ones to leave in the box) so that I could earn my first win.

Roland and Wendy do pretty good with just the cards from a single Core Set (and probably Skids as well), but Daisy and Wendy probably need custom-built decks to give them the best chance of maximizing their less-conventional strengths of willpower and intellect when handling combat and evasions.

Considering my success with a custom-built Roland deck, I expect Skids and Wendy (with custom-built decks) to do super through the Core Set campaign. Daisy has so far proved predictably lackluster (even with a custom-built deck) and I expect Agnes will be equally hit-or-miss depending on how lucky (or not) I am with the chaos bag, card draw and managing her unconventional playstyle. I've already given up on Daisy, but I really would like to make an Agnes deck hum through the Core Set campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
I'm only playing one-handed solo. Campaign results thus far:

Got both R1 and R3 in scenario 3 with Roland with a single core deck. Skids, with a 2-core custom deck, died in scenario 3. Agnes got R3 with a 2-core custom deck.

Haven't tried Wendy or Daisy all the way through yet; with Daisy I have a hard enough time in the first scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
I really would like to make an Agnes deck hum through the Core Set campagign.

Interesting because the best I've done so far was with Agnes. I think I just got lucky with the card draws.

I wonder if I have to get another core set in order to make solo viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through with Roland solo. Killed the Ghoul Priest and recruited Lita in the first scenario. On the second scenario I managed to draw the dynamite which helped me kill one of the tougher cultist. Ended up with 3 cultists when that scenario was done. Third was tougher. I happened to get that dynamite again which helped me get past the cultists to the final location. Killed one of them with the dynamite, then killed the other with an attack action, evaded the last one. Ultimately though, I couldn't investigate in time to stop the cultists before they summoned you know who. Those cultist enemies that come off the deck are impossible to kill when you're trying to stay put in order to investigate your way through the final act. With their added doom it's hard to make it. I drew two on consecutive turns which forced me to miss it, enabling the agenda to progress, thus summoning the final enemy. Sacrificed Lita to get out of the scenario because fighting that thing one on one was not going to end well.

In my opinion it is very possible to play through future scenarios solo because from my experience playing the LOTR LCG, we will have more at our disposal after FFG releases a few more cycles. Right now we're extremely limited to what is in the core set. There will no doubt be cards that will benefit solo play as well as cards that benefit playing with more investigators, card that help investigating and cards that assist in combat. I'm so excited to see what Nate and Matthew have in store. They've done a phenomenal job with their other co-op, and they will provide that same level of variety in the card pool, challenge, excitement, and quality to the rest of this game. Hold on and enjoy the ride!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrydor wrote:
I wonder if I have to get another core set in order to make solo viable.

Before you go that route, it's probably worth playing Easy mode - I appreciate the way you don't really change the game - you're not taking out any Treacheries or anything like that, just adjusting the average difficulty of the Bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
To be fair, I did modify the Agnes starter deck from my first Core Set and do pretty well on Scenario 1 (killed the Ghoul Priest, and all that). I haven't tried a 2-Core custom deck for Agnes yet, but I'm very optimistic.

I think the best way to improve any investigator's deck is just to play with them a lot of times and really learn how to make the cards work for you. Practice makes perfect, so they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
This could be chocked up to my lackluster skill but I find it impossible to 'win' with 1 core even on easy.

2 core sets was a cake walk with Skids on easy until S3 where 4 bad token pulls in a row killed me (tentacle, -2, -2, tentacle). Pretty sure that I would have handily won if not for the bad token pulls.

Going to play through on easy with Daisy and then decide from there if its time to go up to medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Err, -2 is not a bad token pull. In majority of situations -2 is a godsend xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Planning for -1 is an absolute minimum, and you should try to plan for -2 or even -3 if at all possible. Of course it all depends on what you're testing. A late-game pull from the chaos bag against a Ghoul Priest (who can hit you back if you fail) is certainly more important than a early-game point or two of damage from Grasping Hands, or a mid-game Crypt Chill when you have an empty flashlight in hand. I actually look forward to Crypt Chill when I'm done using my flashlight and don't worry about failing that draw from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have two cores and have played through the campaign solo with three different investigators.

First, I played through with the starter Roland with a 'standard' bag. As others have found, I did decently through the first two scenarios but was destroyed in the third.

Second, I played with a constructed Wendy deck and switched the bag to 'easy'. I completely dominated the first two scenarios but couldn't achieve anything against the Ancient One.

Finally, I played constructed Agnes on 'easy' and blasted huge holes in the Ancient One for the win. Shriveling + Grotesque Statue + Lita = three successful attacks for a total of nine damage. Adding to one damage done using Agnes' power the previous enemy phase when the Ancient One came hunting, that was lethal damage for the win. One bag pull in that turn was the chaos token, so it's fortunate that I had the Statue. Also, if I hadn't defeated the Ancient One in that one turn, I would have been defeated in the enemy phase.

I was very pleased and proud with the result.

I'm going to play through twice more with constructed decks on 'easy' (Skids and Daisy) and I might come back round and do Roland with a constructed deck. Then I might give it a try with my favourite investigator(s) on 'standard'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
rednar wrote:
Err, -2 is not a bad token pull. In majority of situations -2 is a godsend xD

It is if you need a zero because all hope went into that first pull that was a tentacle lol. I had zero options left. 1 more hit from the ancient one and I would die so I couldnt draw or move. All I needed was 1 more success ugh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.